• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TARA/SA

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
*Update 1/22/17 - Date change to the 4th weekend, 2/24 & 25th, I was notified the morning after I posted this ride of a work event on the 17th.

28198196669_142a7ae5c2_n.jpg

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

Come to breakfast, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home, get that bike out of your garage and join us for either or both.

Interested in a 2 day overnight ride starting after breakfast? See the ride plan and information below.

Los Dos Amigos Restaurant
322 FM 480
Center Point, TX 78010
Google map

26921031972_5492b88395_c.jpg

Post Breakfast Ride Information

If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. Groups usually take off around 10am. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

A group size of 4 - 6 ride is optimal, with about a maximum of 8, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

2 day overnight ride information, ride up to Menard on Saturday and back to Bandera on Sunday. As you can read HERE I started this ride last year but didn't finish, I'm ready to try again, on an adjusted Saturday route up.

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary. Update - *2/21/18 the ride is on as scheduled

Can't make the start in Center Point? Ride your own route from wherever you are to Menard for Adventure Rider fellowship.

Route information
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Furkot's mapping program. So the route may not be 100% accurate. Legal status and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass.

Saturday, Center Point to Menard The first half of the route is different from the the 2017 route.
26011127968_2de5ebfd58_b.jpg

Sunday, Menard to Bandera
39138781084_cbd2356911_o.jpg

For overnight tow vehicle parking I've had good luck with RV parks in the past. Usually they let you park a vehicle for a small fee per day with advance notice, you might try RV Park USA 108 Blue Rdg, Comfort, TX 78013 Phone: 830-995-2900

Overnight in Menard information
Motel
Hilltop Motel

Camping
Menard County RV Park
https://trips.furkot.com/ts/zKjXxtFull Hook-up RV Park nestled among mature pecan trees beside the San Saba River. We offer multiple types of hook-up sites, camping, fishing, pitch a tent right beside the river! We have male/female designated bathrooms and showers available on site!

Dinner note cash only, no credit cards.
Ojeda's Cafe

Breakfast
Menard Donuts

For those that join my group
When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch, I have several nature break stops and a stop midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every non-obvious corner and wait for the entire group and make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. However please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety and rider etiquette
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, Zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/17/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

Rode the whole route last year on the f800gs, not sure I want to ride day 2 on the 1200-the creek crossings near Barksdale (Cedar creek?) were a challenge on the 800...maybe 50 yards wide, water a foot deep, gravel. (At least no green concrete!)

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/17/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

I guess I have to make this one so I can open gates and pick up Roger's 1200 if it goes down.

Just kidding Roger. See y'all then.

Putting this on my calendar with a capital T "Tentative" next to it. Is there a place to leave a vehicle at the start location?

This is a fun Hill Country ride and the RV place in Menard is great for tent camping. The leg up from Bandera was an all day ride for us so expect to start early be on the gas all day to finish the entire route (yes, road 4 into Menard really does go through but a little technical). :popcorn:

RG, did you leave a vehicle at an RV park in or around Comfort for a ride out of Center Point one time?

If so which RV park?

Last edited:
Putting this on my calendar with a capital T "Tentative" next to it. Is there a place to leave a vehicle at the start location?

This is my thinking. May pick up a 8x5 cargo trailer (use as a camper). This way I can save hotel costs getting and staying in the hill country before and after the ride.

Below is what I sent RG for a ride last May. Not sure if it's the place he left his truck or not.

I've also left a vehicle at the RV park in Junction when I was meeting up on a New Mexico ride. I was charged one time but not the other, both times I made arrangements in advance.

RG,

For overnight tow vehicle parking I've had good luck with RV parks in the past. Usually they let you park a vehicle for a small fee per day with advance notice, you might try RV Park USA 108 Blue Rdg, Comfort, TX 78013 http://www.rvparkusa.com/ Phone: 830-995-2900

Good deal Sander. The wifey was giving me some flack last night, complaining that it was Valentine's day weekend and wanted to hang with me. I told her that we have two DRs.....

:lol2:

I stayed at that Kerrville-Schreiner Park Kerrville. Good place to camp probably would have to pay full price to park But I think I will probably stay before and after the ride here since I live so far from the ride event.

Last edited:
I hope I can make this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and Mississippi Texan will be there. Did first half last year, want to do both days. Plan on going up Friday and riding around till dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a Ural rally at Inks Lake that weekend and I've committed to that one, so I'm out. I probably need to ride my Ural with some slower guys anyway to cut down on the carnage that seems to have been surrounding me lately.

I'm having my E-07s installed on the VStrom this week, so its looking good for me to do this run self supported. Is anyone camping at Kerrville Schreiner on Friday night? That's my current plan.

Last edited:
I forgot this year the ride starts in Center Point. Last year we started in Pipe Creek. I may camp Friday night at that park so it's not such a hustle Saturday morning to get to Dos Amigos from San Marcos.

Last edited:
Back