• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/25/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option

***New dates for the February breakfast - Saturday, 2/25.

***With the overnight ride to Menard & back - Saturday, 2/25 and Sunday, 2/26

Interested in a 2 day overnight ride starting after breakfast? See the ride plan and information below the breakfast information.

Saturday, February 18, 2017 @ 9a @ the:
BACKYARD BISTRO
830-535-4094
167 Panther Ridge Rd
Pipe Creek, TX 78063-5195
www.backyardbistrobandera.com

Located directly behind Country Accents Antiques on Hwy 16 South, the Backyard Bistro offers an eclectic menu of American & Mexican cuisines from Chef Blanca and Chef Aaron.

Open for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Outdoor patio dining available with views of the gardens.

Click on the map below for an interactive map.

Need a place to stay before the Breakfast or ride? Both cabins are a short walk from our Backyard Bistro They might also be able to accommodate truck and trailer parking while on the overnight ride to Menard.

2 day overnight ride information, ride up to Menard on Saturday and back to Bandera on Sunday, this a make up for the Menard overnight ride missed in December due to the weather.

OK it's official, rain dates in effect.

New dates for the February breakfast - Saturday, 2/25.

With the overnight ride to Menard - Saturday, 2/25 and Sunday, 2/26

The ride
Departing after breakfast at the Backyard Bistro.
Saturday route up / Saturday route option - Click Here
Sunday route down

My group will try to KSU before 10a. I'll have room for 4 to 6 in my group, if more than that want to ride we'll need to split up with a volunteer(s) leading the other group(s).

Lodging
There are a couple of motels in Menard, we picked:
Menard Budget Inn
208 Ellis St
Menard, TX 76859
(325) 396-4719

Campers - Menard County RV Park
https://trips.furkot.com/ts/zKjXxt- Full Hook-up RV Park nestled among mature pecan trees beside the San Saba River. We offer multiple types of hook-up sites, camping, fishing, pitch a tent right beside the river! We have male/female designated bathrooms and showers available on site!

Saturday route option - Click Here

Can't make the start in Pipe Creek? Ride your own route from wherever you are to Menard for Adventure Rider fellowship.

For the route to Menard and back, what to expect on the different legs.

Saturday
Bandera to Kerrville

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fmIy51AVU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fmIy51AVU[/ame]

Kerrville to Junction

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPsrGFOtjrs"]Texas Adventure Ride 2013 - Kimble Co. Road 412 - YouTube[/ame]

Junction to Menard
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1upT3W8XNk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1upT3W8XNk[/ame]

Sunday
Menard to Rocksprings

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Y3nY7_OFw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Y3nY7_OFw[/ame]

Rocksprings to Camp Wood
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4e4Rf0P17o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4e4Rf0P17o[/ame]

Camp Wood to Bandera
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5D8UgTtQA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5D8UgTtQA[/ame]

Last edited:

JT

Forum Supporter
Re: Adventure Breakfast - Sat 2/18/17 @ 9AM - Backyard Bistro in Pipe Creek & 2 day r

SpiritAtBay and I are in. :mrgreen:

Re: Adventure Breakfast - Sat 2/18/17 @ 9AM - Backyard Bistro in Pipe Creek & 2 day r

I think I can make it and the 2 day ride! Any camping available in Menard, or just the RV park?

Seriously considering it. I might lead a contingent of 'sick, lame and lazy' if necessary; I'm good at that!
Thanks Russ!

Any camping available in Menard, or just the RV park?
It looks like Menard County RV Park is it plus it's on the river!

Menard County RV Park is a unique RV Park located in Menard, Texas. Known for its Pecan trees, Bluebonnets and San Saba River with views that never disappoint, Menard County RV Park will keep you close to everything. Planning a trip is time consuming, but with our help, all you'll need to plan is what you bring with you for your one-of-a-kind getaway.

Full Hook-Ups 30 AMP - $20/night, 1-2 people (Each additional person $2/night)

Full Hook-Ups 50 AMP - $20/night, 1-2 people (Each additional person $2/night)

Sites with Electricity & Water - $15/night, 1-2 People (Each additional person $2/night)

Sites with Electricity - $10/night,1-2 People (Each additional person $3/night)

Tent Sites - $6/night, 1-2 People (Each additional person $3/night)

OK, looks like a go for the twin DR250s. Going to stay at the Budget as well.
We have 'openings' for 3 or 4 old, slow, riders, those who are non-competitive and who don't mind just toodeling along. Oh, we will get there eventually, and will probably catch up to Sander's group at their rest stops/fuel stops/lunch stops, whatever. If not, that's fine too, the routes are loaded on the Zumo and we can find Mendard OK on our own.

We have 'openings' for 3 or 4 old, slow, riders, those who are non-competitive and who don't mind just toodeling along. Oh, we will get there eventually, and will probably catch up to Sander's group at their rest stops/fuel stops/lunch stops, whatever. If not, that's fine too, the routes are loaded on the Zumo and we can find Mendard OK on our own.
Sounds like my kind of ride. I'll take a spot if that's OK.

We have 'openings' for 3 or 4 old, slow, riders, those who are non-competitive and who don't mind just toodeling along. Oh, we will get there eventually, and will probably catch up to Sander's group at their rest stops/fuel stops/lunch stops, whatever.
Russ keeps his group moving...I question the "toodeling" along, every time we would stop there Team 250 was. Slower and steady wins the race, not so tortoise and hare...he must have learned that riding a KLR to Alaska a couple of times.

Russ keeps his group moving...I question the "toodeling" along, every time we would stop there Team 250 was. Slower and steady wins the race, not so tortoise and hare...he must have learned that riding a KLR to Alaska a couple of times.
Hey, that KLR would RUN out on the open highway! And it was only once that I took a KLR there, learned my lesson!:giveup:

250's sounds like my kind of group :trust: Can you pencil me in?

Count me in. Looking forward to the Menard ride. I had fun doing the ride we did in its place out of Bandera. :clap:

I made the bold choice of Ojeda's Cafe for dinner on Saturday night. Actually it's the only sit down restaurant open at night. Menard has my ADV basics, fuel, a bed and food...

Ojeda's menu

Last edited:
Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/18/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option

I have loaded both days routes. Great layout! Looking forward to it. Have eaten at Ojeda's before. Good food......

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/18/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option

Im interested in this. It would be my first adventure ride ever if I can make it. I work most weekends, so it depends on approval from the boss at work and the boss at home.

I got some questions. How strict are yall on gear, equipment, etc? Am I able to tag along if I don't have riding pants and riding boots? I typically wear my thick FR work jeans and faux combat boots when riding. Also my bike isn't nearly as prepared as yalls are, I'm sure. Are there any things I would have to have? I plan to build a rack to carry two large ammo cans in the next week or so and hope to have enough essentials to fill them.

Thanks.

Last edited:

I say the less extra weight the better. I can load my bike top heavy with just a few things. Lots of gravel roads - I would like more padding on the ground side of my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got some questions. How strict are yall on gear, equipment, etc? Am I able to tag along if I don't have riding pants and riding boots? I typically wear my thick FR work jeans and faux combat boots when riding. Also my bike isn't nearly as prepared as yalls are, I'm sure. Are there any things I would have to have? I plan to build a rack to carry two large ammo cans in the next week or so and hope to have enough essentials to fill them.

Thanks.
Welcome TXHillbilly!

No fashion police or tech inspection. However, I'm sure you've heard of ATGATT, with best you have. I have a lingering pain from a 0 mile per hour tip over, you never know.

Most of the riders are pretty much self sufficient, tubes, slime, zip ties, duct tape, tools, water, etc. But of course in the case of an issue everyone pitches in resources and knowledge.

In my group we don't stop for lunch, we do have short breaks along the route in the county and at gas stops. I carry water and snacks for the stops, I'm trying to quit the gas station junk food...

Welcome TXHillbilly!

No fashion police or tech inspection. However, I'm sure you've heard of ATGATT, with best you have. I have a lingering pain from a 0 mile per hour tip over, you never know.

Most of the riders are pretty much self sufficient, tubes, slime, zip ties, duct tape, tools, water, etc. But of course in the case of an issue everyone pitches in resources and knowledge.

In my group we don't stop for lunch, we do have short breaks along the route in the county and at gas stops. I carry water and snacks for the stops, I'm trying to quit the gas station junk food...
Great! Sounds like my kind of ride. I ride atgatt, at least everything I have until I can afford better. Thanks for the response.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the TWT site. I am looking forward to joining up on some dual sport rides in and around the hill country and west Texas.

If there is still room, my brother and I would like to be a part of this ride. I will be on a KLR and he will be on a Husky 701.

Thanks
Matt

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the TWT site. I am looking forward to joining up on some dual sport rides in and around the hill country and west Texas.

If there is still room, my brother and I would like to be a part of this ride. I will be on a KLR and he will be on a Husky 701.

Thanks
Matt
:thumb:Matt!

We always have room, we may need to break up into groups of 6 to 8 depending on the turn out. Regardless we'll make it work. I look forward the meeting you and your brother.

I do recommend anyone planning to go on the overnight ride book a room in Menard unless you are going to camp, you can always cancel it. I had to cancel my room in December and it was no problem.

Sounds great! Looking forward to meeting y'all as well. We r going to plan on camping, but will probably book a room just in case and cancel if needed.

Thanks,

Matt

I'm a potential "maybe". Will definitely need a new rear tire though. The Medina 250 gravel demolished the one currently on the bike :)

Looks like my first adventure ride is gonna be a big one.

Sounds great! Looking forward to meeting y'all as well. We r going to plan on camping, but will probably book a room just in case and cancel if needed.

Thanks,

Matt
Welcome from down the road, Matt. I joined about a week ago. I plan to camp as well. Hope it's not too cold of a night. See y'all there.

I'm a potential "maybe". Will definitely need a new rear tire though. The Medina 250 gravel demolished the one currently on the bike :)
Tomorrow I plan to swap out my rear tire. It'll be the first time doing it myself. Gotta get ready for roadside flat repair.

grimsweeper

Forum Supporter

Tomorrow I plan to swap out my rear tire. It'll be the first time doing it myself. Gotta get ready for roadside flat repair.[/QUOTE]

Carry tubes-we did Sander's Medina 250 last week, I picked up 2" nail, looked like it was 50 years old...some where north of Quihi. Tube was in two pieces, patch kit would not work. I don't know about DR650, rear tkc80 on f800 the bead is difficult to break,tire irons are not enough. Look me up on 18th, I have several items you may be interested in- Alpinestars scout adv boots, size 11, Alpinestars drystar jacket (44) pants(m).

Carry tubes-we did Sander's Medina 250 last week, I picked up 2" nail, looked like it was 50 years old...some where north of Quihi. Tube was in two pieces, patch kit would not work. I don't know about DR650, rear tkc80 on f800 the bead is difficult to break,tire irons are not enough. Look me up on 18th, I have several items you may be interested in- Alpinestars scout adv boots, size 11, Alpinestars drystar jacket (44) pants(m).
Thanks for the tips. I plan to pick up tubes tomorrow if my local dealer had a good deal. Otherwise I'll order some. I'm interested in the pants. Are you doing the ride?

I would like to join your group also... I ride a WR450 that is not geared for high speeds so the slower pace works well for me. I also run a GPS if additional navigation capabilities are required.

Sander, I am in. Although this time I will NOT try to keep up with you, and number two I will NOT fly the RED GS into a tree going up stair steps I should have never gone down looking for you and Steve.

Is there a place to pitch a tent in Menard?

There is a campground earlier in the post. My question is do they have showers there?

There is a campground earlier in the post. My question is do they have showers there?

Menard County RV Park
About
Full Hook-up RV Park nestled among mature pecan trees beside the San Saba River. We offer multiple types of hook-up sites, camping, fishing, pitch a tent right beside the river! We have male/female designated bathrooms and showers available on site!

ADDITIONAL CONTACT INFO
menardcountyrvpark@gmail.com
http://www.menardcountyrvpark.com/

https://www.facebook.com/menardRVpa...592","event_type":"clicked_view_page_about"}}

Sander, I am in. Although this time I will NOT try to keep up with you, and number two I will NOT fly the RED GS into a tree going up stair steps I should have never gone down looking for you and Steve.
It will be great to ride with you again. That was the last I rode Kent Creek rd.

Here is my assessment of required gear (ATGATT)
Helmet (ABSOLUTE MUST, full face or goggles)
Gloves (ABSOLUTE MUST)
Pants )
Shirt/Jacket } Anything you would trust to protect you in a 30 mph get-off
Boots )

(Ask DR250 Duane how much protection 'tennis' shoes give your ankles......)

Last edited:

Im anxious for this ride and getting my bike more and more prepared every day.

Yesterday I built a rack out of scrap material for these ammo cans that I was given. The boxes are a little small and the rack isn't perfect, but it'll do the job. Installed the new rear tire and should be receiving my new matching front today.

Montejay

Forum Supporter

Sander, I just figured out I'll be free this weekend and would like to come along also.
Trying to decide to hotel or camp. I would like to camp, but either is ok. Are there any other campers that you know of?