• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/25/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/18/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option

Sander, I just figured out I'll be free this weekend and would like to come along also.
Trying to decide to hotel or camp. I would like to camp, but either is ok. Are there any other campers that you know of?

Great Montejay and thanks TXHillbilly for the response.

I'm moteling but I'm not sure how many others are doing that either. I'm hoping the motel gets FS1 so I can watch the Supercross races after dinner.

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/18/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option

I'm kinda thinking about this if possible. My question, is there somewhere to leave a truck? I'm over 4 hours out, all asphalt, not wanting to do that to TKC 80's. I'm trying to find a partner! Thanks

I'm kinda thinking about this if possible. My question, is there somewhere to leave a truck? I'm over 4 hours out, all asphalt, not wanting to do that to TKC 80's. I'm trying to find a partner! Thanks

Check with the Backyard Bistro, 830-535-4094. They might be able to accommodate truck and trailer parking while on the overnight ride to Menard.

Cowboy Capital RV Park & Campground might also be able to take care of you - http://www.cowboycapitalrv.com/

Or you can ride up with me and park at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park, although not as secure as the above options.

Very tempting ride, looks like a fun weekend. I'm wondering if the route is 'right' for my bike- or, rather do I have the right bike for this particular ride? I'm on a new Africa Twin. Looking through the post, it looks like mostly smaller dual-sports.

Do the videos represent the majority of the route pretty accurately? If it's dirt and gravel roads, I'm thinking I'll be fine on the AT.

Admittedly, it's not just the bike. I can handle gravel and/or dirt roads no problem on the AT. It's the more technical stuff that I'd prefer to avoid.

Will anyone else be on a bigger dual-sport?

Thanks!

I will be attempting ride on a GS 1200. I'm a new rider looking for ADV. Sounds like to the right place.

Just an FYI, if tent camping you can choose primitive for $6 anywhere on the grounds or water and electric tent sites for $10. Also reservations are not required. This may be the norm, but I haven't been camping in over 20 years so I contacted them to be sure.

I'm a strong possibility.

Great! Sounds like my kind of ride. I ride atgatt, at least everything I have until I can afford better. Thanks for the response.

Jared, I pm'd you about some pants that may work for you.
Also wanted to give you a heads up --if you haven't already found it--the Pay It Forward thread is a godsend for those starting out and on a budget.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Look forward to meeting you Saturday!

I got your message. That thread is great! All I need now are a set of size 9ish riding boots. But my work boots will do the job for the trip. They're getting a healthy coat of camp dry tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very tempting ride, looks like a fun weekend. I'm wondering if the route is 'right' for my bike- or, rather do I have the right bike for this particular ride? I'm on a new Africa Twin. Looking through the post, it looks like mostly smaller dual-sports.

Do the videos represent the majority of the route pretty accurately? If it's dirt and gravel roads, I'm thinking I'll be fine on the AT.

Admittedly, it's not just the bike. I can handle gravel and/or dirt roads no problem on the AT. It's the more technical stuff that I'd prefer to avoid.

This ride looks very similar to the December 16 route - Right Sanderjavant?
If so, I rode it on my stock AT.

The course does have some areas to be cautious about; a few water crossings, (not deep or too loose, but slippery and subject to change...), Lots of easy hard pack dirt, with abundant gravel sections to keep you on your toes, and one semi-sandy section. The Saturday section is more back pavement with great small country roads, & Sunday section is more dirt oriented. Thats from what I remember in December. It was an absolutely great ride!

This time I am leaning towards Team 250 group, in preparation for UT or NM BDR this year, but will probably decide last minute :rider:

Woodsguy, I hope you got the logistics worked out--are we gunna see you?

This ride looks very similar to the December 16 route - Right Sanderjavant?
If so, I rode it on my stock AT.

The course does have some areas to be cautious about; a few water crossings, (not deep or too loose, but slippery and subject to change...), Lots of easy hard pack dirt, with abundant gravel sections to keep you on your toes, and one semi-sandy section. The Saturday section is more back pavement with great small country roads, & Sunday section is more dirt oriented. Thats from what I remember in December. It was an absolutely great ride!

This time I am leaning towards Team 250 group, in preparation for UT or NM BDR this year, but will probably decide last minute :rider:

Correct Fred, mostly class 1, roads a passenger car could travel on. Very close the original layout and similar to the Brady ride.
Take caution on the concrete water crossings, stay in the vehicle tracks to avoid the slim. Sunday will have some gravel bottom water crossings that are more challenging near Barksdale which can be bypassed by taking CR350 to hwy 55 to meet back up in Barksdale.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLzWtZcODCI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLzWtZcODCI[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=halwbl-wbyM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=halwbl-wbyM[/ame]

I'm doing my best to make it for this ride. I'm on job in Houston now. Trying to finish the stuff I need by Thursday. Go back to Dallas Thursday evening. Change the tires on my bike Friday and pack. And try to make it there by Saturday morning. It's gonna be hard, but it's doable. :pirate:

Thanks!

I will be on my AT.

I'm doing my best to make it for this ride. I'm on job in Houston now. Trying to finish the stuff I need by Thursday. Go back to Dallas Thursday evening. Change the tires on my bike Friday and pack. And try to make it there by Saturday morning. It's gonna be hard, but it's doable. :pirate:

Ah, you're young. You can do it!

Woodsguy, I hope you got the logistics worked out--are we gunna see you?

Thanks for asking, not sure, I thought I had a traveling partner to help on drive/expenses but he's out. Plus I have a workday at Cycleland that I would have to skip. So haven't made the final decision yet.

I'm doing my best to make it for this ride. I'm on job in Houston now. Trying to finish the stuff I need by Thursday. Go back to Dallas Thursday evening. Change the tires on my bike Friday and pack. And try to make it there by Saturday morning. It's gonna be hard, but it's doable.

I hope you make it!

I've wandered around the ruins years ago- not knowing what exactly it was. Thanks for the link!

So wish I wasn't the first to mention it... Bandera weather on Sunday is not looking good. :doh:

Still hoping for guardedly optimistic conditions.

Yep, it does not look good now. Possible over 3" for the day, mostly later.

Last edited:

Yeah, thinking about push back one week, more later...

I hope it's not rescheduled. I used vacation to have this weekend off. I don't mind the rain. But I understand if it is moved.

Next week is good for me. I'm fine with light rain. Pouring rain is little fun for me . It makes water crossing sketchy to impassable also.

I'll attempt to change my leave at work if need be. I didn't think about the water crossings.

Back