• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Saturday 1/29/22 @ Bill Miller's BBQ in New Braunfels

Reaction score
@sanderjavant informed me that he is taking a break from leading these for a bit and that he was ok with others coordinating them in the mean time.
This will be the first one of those and will be on the 5th Saturday instead of the normal 3rd Saturday due to logistics.

1641989822486.png

#AdventureRiderBreakfastSeries

The monthly breakfasts are to encourage the Texas Adventure / Dual Sport community to get out and ride, meet other riders, share knowledge, info, see what others are planning and doing, etc. Come to breakfast at 9a, meet and talk with other adventure motorcyclists. Get out on your bike (or 3 or 4 wheeled vehicle) and join us for either or both. Some will also go for a ride afterward, while others will just enjoy breakfast with other riders.

This Month's Meetup Location:

Bill Miller BBQ
3209 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78132

Post Breakfast Ride Information:

If you want to eat, be there at 9am
If you want to skip breakfast and do the ride, probably best to be in the parking lot around 9:30am or so.
Your group will determine your start time, but groups usually take off before 10am.
Those interested in a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below.
The route is a no host, self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided interested riders should join a group or lead one.
A riding group size of 4 - 6 riders is optimal, with about a maximum of 8 or so, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.
Capable and willing group leaders are appreciated, to keep the groups from getting too large, and maximizing everyone's comfort and enjoyment.
The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie, being safe and forming riding groups so no one rides alone, especially on back roads. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.
In case of potential bad weather on the ride date, I'll post information in this thread in the days leading up to the ride.

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series Ride Fine Print & Route:

Route information - *Disclaimer, I built the routes on my computer, so the routes may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the routes; it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, road conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue; politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Optional Route:

This route is 151 miles of pavement and gravel roads.
The ride begins and ends in New Braunfels, so the majority of it will be on paved roads.
There will be ~35 miles of gravel roads in the middle of the route.
There are plenty of gas stops, so dual sport bikes that have at least ~85 miles of range should have no problem.
The gravel roads end near Lockhart and some of us will likely stop for a late lunch at one of the local BBQ joints.
The red/black roads are paved and the green roads are (hopefully) all gravel roads.

1641990441939.png

Ride Plan & Rider Etiquette:

Volunteer ride leaders will pause at every change of route without a clear, obvious direction to continue and wait for the next rider to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up.

On dirt and gravel roads, riders are encouraged to spread out to avoid the dust, no need for anyone to ride in the dust.
The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front of the other makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as each rider in front of the other takes responsibility for the rider behind, no one gets lost.

*Please tell the leader of your group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group*

Emergency Contact:

Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road. My emergency contact info is typically on a card on the left sleeve of my jacket and on the home screen of my phone, which is in my jacket pocket.

Critical Points For The Ride:

- Your safety during the ride is your responsibility
- Please bring all tools and parts needed to fix a flat on your bike OR have someone that can retrieve you and your bike if needed
-
Donkey Haul Motorcycle Towing Service - 210-863-4285 is a good option if needed (save this contact in your phone)
- ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time
- Ride your own ride, meaning don't rush to keep up, but rather ride a comfortable pace that is safe for you.
- Always make sure the rider behind you clearly sees you make the turn before going on
- Be ready to ride when the group you join is ready to take off, including a full tank of gas
- If your bike can't make it between gas stops, please carry a fuel reserve with you
- Properly prepare you motorcycle in advance for the ride
- Announce your upcoming turns using blinkers and/or hand signals
- Respect landowners and other road users
- Slow down, move over and ride quietly when passing people, bicycles, animals, etc.
- Have fun, you are riding a motorcycle!

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Lockhart_Dirty_150_(CCW).gpx
    11.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

jsb

Reaction score
Thank you for restarting this! I was thinking about doing it & I rarely made it. Being near Medina Lake, I don't know that I'll make it to NE of SA on a Jan. morning. Watching for N to W of SA later.