• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Saturday 11/16/19 @ 9a Pepe's Cafe in Ozona then Escondido Draw ride - TARA/SA

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
ARBS.PNG

#AdventureRiderBreakfastSeries / Ride Calendar
A Texas Adventure Riders Association San Antonio Chapter Event

Breakfast at 9a:
Pepe's Cafe
1003 Old Hwy 290
Ozona, TX 76943

Capture.JPG
Post breakfast ride at Escondido Draw Recreational Area - After breakfast I plan to drive down to Escondido Draw Recreational Area to ride my dual sport bike for the day. Let's check out a new public riding area.

You will need a Texas OHV decal to ride the Escondido Draw Recreational Area, they are available for purchase at EDRA. There is also a usage fee, see below.

Although the information can be ambiguous they are open on weekends. I called to confirm - EDRA office (325) 206-4251

Escondido Draw Recreational Area fees
fees.JPG

Thanks to the TMTC.

Texas Motorized Trails Coalition (TMTC) https://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/ is pleased to
announce the Grand Opening of the largest OHV project ever undertaken by the United
States Federal Highways Administration and the State of Texas Parks and Wildlife.
On October 11-13, 2019 Escondido Draw Recreational Area in Ozona, TX will have its official
Grand Opening. After 13 years, $5.17 million dollars in RTP Funds, Public and Private Grants
and millions of volunteer hours, the park is ready to officially open its gates.
Escondido Draw Recreational Area (EDRA) http://www.escondidodraw.org/ has a total of
3480 acres for trails in the riding area and 76 acres serving as the trail head to hold events
and camping. Riding Area Trails: Provides 110 miles of marked trails. There are 40+ miles of
4x4, 50+ miles of motorcycle trails, and 20+ miles of ATV/SXS trails. RV Camping: Provides 35
RV slips with 50 amp electric, potable water and sewer hookups. Primitive Camping: Provides
24 tent campsites and 1 large group campsite. Restrooms and showers are available for users of the park.

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Safety
AGATT

Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, etc. Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
I can't make it, but I wanna see photos from the ride and eager to hear 1st hand about the trails, etc...

Sander,
what bike are you taking ? Do you know what the routes / riding is like. I am considering going and taking my 690 enduro.

Mark,

My 300 two stroke.

I've never been there. The videos above are the only two good recent overviews I could find so far. It looks pretty technical, like Hidden Falls. The nice thing is you don't have to go through anything, you can always backtrack to camp.

Race video from 2016.

I may skip breakfast in Ozona, and camp out on Friday night at the park. Maybe Saturday night as well, still planning.

Capture.JPG

Plans firming up.

Camping on Friday night at the park. Saturday night camping TBD.

No breakfast for my group at Pepe's on Saturday morning.

Looks to be a good temperature for this:

A few pictures to start. Videos coming soon.

Overall, glad we have the area. Still needs work.

Yes, there are rocky trails but plenty of rock free ATV trails down in the canyon that are quite fun. The motorcycle trails we found are surprisingly overgrown.

Saturday there was one other motorcycle rider and several side by sides. Sunday one other ATV rider.

DSC09519.JPG

DSC09522.JPG

DSC09523.JPG

DSC09542.JPG

sfd.jpg

Should have known to take a grill.
DSC09545.JPG

Last edited:
I was hoping to go to the top of that hill on that last one

That Grill was great

Of course steeper and rockier than video portrays. Most of the trails on the hillsides are just loose round rock, no good line. I should have captured the "up" Pipeline hill.

After thinking more about it, the more I like the area. It is nice that it isn't crowded. About 8 total vehicles, including us, over two days. If it was closer, there would be more use.

Has potential. Thanks for posting up the vids. Yeah, cameras flatten stuff better than a dozer. If I can see any appreciable climb in a vid you can expect the back tire is already slinging rocks and bouncing around.

Back