• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Saturday 2/16/19 @ 9a Lost Maples Cafe - TARA/SA

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
Click on the image to view the 2019
Adventure Rider Breakfast Series Calendar

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

#AdventureRiderBreakfastSeries

Come to breakfast at 9a, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home, get out on your bike and join us for either or both.

The goal of these breakfasts are to encourage the adventure / dual sport community to get out and ride, share knowledge, information and see what others are planning and doing, etc.

Lost Maples Cafe

384 FM 187 Main Street
Utopia, Texas
830-966-2221
http://www.lostmaplescafe.com/

Post Breakfast Ride Information
If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie, being safe
and forming riding groups so no one rides alone, especially on back roads. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

*You determine your start time, groups usually take off before 10am.

A group size of 4 - 6 ride is optimal, with about a maximum of 8, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Route information & Map
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Google maps. So the route may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the route, it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue, politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

What to expect on the route.

and maybe

Ride 246 miles, gas is available in Camp Wood, Rocksprings and Leakey.

For those that want to use a roll chart:
384 Ranch Rd 187, Utopia, TX 78884, USA

Head west on Jackson St toward Main St

85 ft

Turn left at the 1st cross street onto Main St

928 ft

Turn right at the 3rd cross street onto Houston St

456 ft

Houston St turns left and becomes FM 1050 W/Recreational Rd 1050 Continue to follow FM 1050 W

13.5 mi

Turn right onto Ranch Rd 2748

2.06 mi

Turn right onto Ranch Rd 1120

6.17 mi

Turn right onto US-83 N/Market St

0.654 mi

Turn left onto 6th St/Ranch Rd 337 W Continue to follow Ranch Rd 337 W

21.0 mi

Turn right onto TX-55 N/Nueces St Continue to follow TX-55 N

4.14 mi

Turn left onto Church St

942 ft

Continue onto Spring Creek Rd

1.97 mi

Continue straight onto Co Rd 24

4.18 mi

Turn left onto Cedar Creek Rd

11.6 mi

Turn right onto White Mountain Rd

14.7 mi

Turn left

1,280 ft

Turn right

0.408 mi

Turn right onto Co Rd 310

3.03 mi

Turn left onto TX-55 N

4.91 mi

Continue onto US-377 N

7.87 mi

Turn right onto TX-41 E

11.5 mi

Turn right onto Hackberry Rd

13.0 mi

Continue onto Co Rd 18

807 ft

Turn right onto Hackberry Rd

1.10 mi

Turn left onto Ranch Rd 335

5.31 mi

Turn left

1.34 mi

Turn right

1.62 mi

Sharp left onto Ranch Rd 2631

6.14 mi

Continue onto Satterfield Rd

2.52 mi

Satterfield Rd turns slightly left and becomes Bullhead Rd

5.67 mi

Turn right onto Ranch Rd 3235

2.00 mi

Turn right

1.99 mi

Turn left onto Bushong Rd

1.87 mi

Turn right onto Ranch Rd 336 S

16.5 mi

Merge onto US-83 S/Market St

0.979 mi

Turn left onto 6th St/Ranch Rd 337 E Continue to follow Ranch Rd 337 E

10.9 mi

Turn right onto Lower Sabinal River Rd

3.93 mi

Continue onto W Sabinal Rd

4.99 mi

Turn left onto Ranch Rd 187

213 ft

Slight left to stay on Ranch Rd 187

1.29 mi

Turn right onto B and R Rd

3.62 mi

Turn right onto N Little Creek Rd

1.33 mi

Turn left onto Farm to Market Rd 470/Ranch Rd 470

5.13 mi

Turn right onto S Seco Creek Rd

2.96 mi

Continue onto Seco Valley Rd

1.38 mi

Continue onto Co Rd 111

4.77 mi

Turn left onto Co Rd 211

823 ft

Turn right to stay on Co Rd 211

10.2 mi

Turn left onto Co Rd 121

3.54 mi

Continue onto Ross Rd

2.37 mi

Turn left onto FM 462 N

0.909 mi

Turn right at the 1st cross street onto Farm to Market Rd 470/Ranch Rd 470

3.79 mi

Turn left onto Kyle Ranch Rd

1.18 mi

Continue straight

0.394 mi

Merge onto Kyle Ranch Rd

2.53 mi

Turn right onto Winans Creek Rd

2.82 mi

Turn right onto TX-16 S

3.12 mi

Turn right onto Farm to Market Rd 470/Ranch Rd 470

1.26 mi

Turn left onto Schmidtke Rd

1.36 mi

Turn left to stay on Schmidtke Rd

2.68 mi

Turn left onto Pecan St Destination will be on the left

0.433 mi

1111 Pecan St, Pipe Creek, TX 78063, USA

Ride plan & Rider etiquette
For those that join my group - When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every corner without a clear / obvious direction to continue and wait for the entire group to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, if I'm leading I won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front of the other makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as each rider in front the other takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. Please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads is constantly changing. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue, politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Safety
AGATT

Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Darn! Dallas Supercross is that weekend and me plus several Sidewinders have our tickets so won’t make the ride

You must be looking at my work schedule to plan these only on weekends i'm working. I promise , i don't smell that bad. I don't think!

Looking good

Sat 16th utopia
DAY
69°HIRealFeel® 70°Precipitation 3%

Clouds and sun
  • Winds from the
  • SSE 9 mph
  • Gusts: 24 mph

• Max UV Index: 4 (Moderate)
  • Thunderstorms: 0%
  • Precipitation: 0 in
  • Rain: 0 in
  • Snow: 0 in
  • Ice: 0 in
  • Hours of Precipitation: 0 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 0 hrs

Welcome back, John! Looking forward to riding with ya again. :pray: good weather
Looking forward to riding with you too! Thanks Sander for putting these together. 4th year here in Feb-April and 3rd Sander ride (1st year I did not bring a mototrcycle). So I am getting reaquanted with the TWT site and like the improvements. What does TARA stand for? I assume it is so obvious and is why I can't find it. I found TDSAR (Texas Dual Sport Adventure Rider) and *ADV (Texas Adventure?).

Guessing Texas Adventure Rider Assoc?
Thanks!

Looking forward to riding with you too! Thanks Sander for putting these together. 4th year here in Feb-April and 3rd Sander ride (1st year I did not bring a mototrcycle). So I am getting reaquanted with the TWT site and like the improvements. What does TARA stand for? I assume it is so obvious and is why I can't find it. I found TDSAR (Texas Dual Sport Adventure Rider) and *ADV (Texas Adventure?).

Guessing Texas Adventure Rider Assoc?
Thanks!

Hi John, you guessed right. http://www.txadvriders.org/. SAB and I are planning to ride our 250's Saturday. See you Saturday!

This is a great route. I am disappointed I am going to have to miss it due to a work commitment .

My son (EXC 500) and I (DR650) plan to be there. I rode the last Utopia breakfast outing and Sander did a great job. This looks to be a great route, hope the weather is as good as it looks to be!

I may have missed if stated already........roughly 50% dirt? I may truck in the 250 for this one.

XR for me for this route. Looking forward to being out and with all of you on Saturday.

Back