• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Saturday 2/8/20 @ 9a OST in Bandera - TARA/SA

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
*Note for February, the breakfast / ride has been moved up to the second Saturday not to conflict with Valentine's weekend.

ARBS.PNG
#AdventureRiderBreakfastSeries

A Texas Adventure Riders Association San Antonio Chapter Event

The monthly breakfasts *(third Saturday) are to encourage the Texas adventure / dual sport community to get out and ride, meet other riders, share knowledge, information and see what others are planning and doing, etc.

Come to breakfast at 9a, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home. Get out on your bike and join us for either or both.

OST Restaurant - meet at or before 9a
305 Main St
Bandera, Texas 78003
(830) 796-3836
MAP
Photo408461.jpg

Post Breakfast Ride Information
If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie, being safe
and forming riding groups so no one rides alone, especially on back roads. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

*You determine your start time, groups usually take off before 10am.

A riding group size of 4 - 6 riders is optimal, with about a maximum of 8 or so, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

Rain date information will be posted here on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series Ride fine print & map
Route information - *Disclaimer, I built the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and MotoWhere's mapping program. So the routes may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the routes; it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, road conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue; politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Route map

1579751960047.png
1579752000730.png

1579751382807.png

The Lunch Break spot will be along Pulliam Creek, near this crossing. Sadly this crossing has been changed by the road department.
Capture.PNG

Ride plan & Rider etiquette
When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, there are also the planned fuel stop(s) to pick up a snack.

I stop at every corner without a clear / obvious direction to continue and wait for the entire group to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, if I'm leading I won’t leave you.

I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust, no need for anyone to ride in the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front of the other makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as each rider in front the other takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost.

Please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety
AGATT

Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Properly prepare you motorcycle, in advance for the ride. Be ready to ride when the group you join is ready to take off, including a full tank of gas, or at least a 100 mile range.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, etc. Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Sander! starting to align the planets, Venus included.. Wonder where the SW Houston clan is...?

The upside to having a real adventure this past Saturday is that my wife doesn’t want me riding alone anymore off the pavement. Okay, I guess that means she has to let me go on the monthly group ride. This time with a better tool for the job.

Speaking of that, anyone ever change a gear input shaft on an air cooled Triumph Bonneville or Scramble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I’m going to have to work this Saturday because of this rain delay.

Hopefully the water level will make it interesting.

Most of the Pulliam Creek water crossings now have tin horns. Unless mother nature has rearranged them.

At the lunch break spot.

Bullhead Rd.

Aquatic stuff is always interesting, what the road type asphalt, gravel, dirt maybe? if there more detail I am think on going

Attachments

• ap_21.jpg
    ap_21.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 207
  • SS-Thistlegorm.jpg
    SS-Thistlegorm.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 206
Aquatic stuff is always interesting, what the road type asphalt, gravel, dirt maybe? if there more detail I am think on going
Not quite that wet but all the above certainly. County roads off pavement. Some challenges, at least for heavys. Bullhead Rd is one of the most rugged county Rd to be had.

Perfect, poing To give it try with heavy one

Planing to stay the night on Friday so I am right there on Saturday morning. Any recommendations on lodging?

Interesting I have never ridden Bullhead road.

Here's a sample of my very mellow pace on Bullhead Road from last year some time. It's a very raw video as I don't have any post processing software.

This might come in handy on some of the terrain for this ride

This is my new guy... For me it helps to watch these things twice.:scratch:

Very helpful, totally right, slow and steady especially for the Mini Van Adventure Bike :) thanks for sharing

I practiced some lock to lock figure rights and some short sand work in 2nd gear. This mototrek guy has a bunch of videos all about adv and big bikes. I tried the 3 finger handlebar grips technique when standing too.
Until now I've done a lot of this stuff with Instinct alone, I think I want to try to start doing a little more intellectual work and begin to understand the zero gravity Rider concept

I am in also, staying the night in Bandera Friday, ready Sat.

Back