• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Saturday 3/16/19 @ 9a Backyard Bistro - TARA/SA + 2-Day Ride to Brady & back

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
Click on the image to view the 2019 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series Calendar
A Texas Adventure Riders Association San Antonio Chapter Event
#AdventureRiderBreakfastSeries

Come to breakfast at 9a, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home, get out on your bike and join us for either or both.

The monthly breakfasts (third Saturday) are to encourage the Texas adventure / dual sport community to get out and ride, meet other riders, share knowledge, information and see what others are planning and doing, etc.

BACKYARD BISTRO
830-535-4094
167 Panther Ridge Rd
Pipe Creek, TX 78063-5195
www.backyardbistrobandera.com

Located directly behind Country Accents Antiques on Hwy 16 South.

Post Breakfast Ride Information
If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie, being safe
and forming riding groups so no one rides alone, especially on back roads. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

*You determine your start time, groups usually take off before 10am.

A group size of 4 - 6 ride is optimal, with about a maximum of 8, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Route information & Map
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Google maps. So the route may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the route, it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue, politely ask for directions to get back to a public road. Or zoom out on your GPS (or look at your map) to see where the last known public road hits the route again and pick it up there.

2-Day Ride - up on Saturday 3/16/19 to Brady, Texas and back on Sunday 3/17/19

Motel
I'm staying at the Gold Key Inn but there are several other options.
Gold Key Inn - catty corner across from Fat Boys BBQ, next to Stripes.
2023 S Bridge St
Brady, TX 76825
(325) 597-2185
Ride rate, plus tax:
Single room $53.10
Double room $65.99

Camping
Richards Park

Brady Lake - Facilities include a large pavilion, restrooms with showers, rv hookups, screened cabanas, cabins, tent sites, picnic areas, and gun range.
Dinner at:
Cattleman's BBQ
2010 S. Bridge St,
Brady, Texas76825

Breakfast, Sunday at 8a:
Medina's Restaurant
701 S Bridge St
Brady, TX 76825

Routes

Up - 254 miles

Back - 210 miles

The route may include:

Ride plan & Rider etiquette
For those that join my group - When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every corner without a clear / obvious direction to continue and wait for the entire group to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, if I'm leading I won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front of the other makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as each rider in front the other takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. Please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads is constantly changing. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue, politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Safety
AGATT

Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Darn! Would love to go but that is the same weekend as the Dirt Bikers of San Antonio 2 day ride at McMahan Ranch in Smithville I arranged.

Concrete, I think, I've never crossed there. I'm scared of it, I've heard too many stories of going swimming. Maybe it's time to try it?

Yep, that's what I was afraid of . On day 2 also, so I will be tired too. I have waterproof boots now so I will probably have to use them

And potholes. That have rocks rolling around in them. That you can't see til your front wheel washes out...

NP! Lol. Hoping to make it.

Fixing my counter shaft seals this weekend.
Hopefully my Zumo will act right now.
Also still learning how to load the tracks-routs whatever.

priceline shows single for $59. Phone requested room for the $53.10 as Sander displays. Room reserved.

James River: doesn’t look so bad here [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've received some inquiries about overnight vehicle parking.

The Backyard Bistro has allowed some in the past. Contact them directly, in advance, to confirm.

The nice lady that owns the antique store (Eva) owns all the land.
She has let me park my truck and trailer behind Back Yard Bistro in the past.
I just got off of the phone with her and she said it would be OK to park vehicles back there.
She asked me to get with her Saturday morning so she can show us where to park.

Weather still holding for next weekend. Gonna be cold in the mornings, bring the long johns
Weather Next Weekend,
  • SATURDAY Pipe creek, TX
    MAR 16

64° /38°RealFeel® 65° / 30°

Partly sunny
    More
  • SUNDAY Brady, TX.
    MAR 17

59° /38°RealFeel® 59° / 38°
    Increasing clouds

SAB and I may bypass the James Sunday, still have not decided. Here is a bypass track if anyone else is thinking about going around.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• James River Bypass.gpx
    7.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Pipe Creek to Brady.gpx
    227.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Brady to Bandera.gpx
    218.7 KB · Views: 271
Thanks John!

I also built a little longer bypass, I don't want to get wet on Sunday, but I would like to ride the Salt Branch loop.
ARBS from Brady, no James River 3/17/19

Back