• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Saturday 6/20/20 @ 9a Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia - TARA/SA - rescheduled from 3/21/20

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
Rescheduled - Now Saturday 6/20/20

ARBS.PNG
#AdventureRiderBreakfastSeries

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series rides dates HERE
A Texas Adventure Riders Association San Antonio Chapter Event

The monthly breakfasts *(third Saturday) are to encourage the Texas adventure / dual sport community to get out and ride, meet other riders, share knowledge, information and see what others are planning and doing, etc.

Come to breakfast at 9a, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home. Get out on your bike and join us for either or both.

27088441586_cdd7160ec2_m-jpg-jpg.jpg
Lost Maples Cafe
384 FM 187 Main Street
Utopia, Texas
830-966-2221
MAP

27538166911_3f82acbfeb_b.jpg

Post Breakfast Ride Information
If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie, being safe
and forming riding groups so no one rides alone, especially on back roads. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

*You determine your start time, groups usually take off before 10am.

A riding group size of 4 - 6 riders is optimal, with about a maximum of 8 or so, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

Rain date information will be posted here on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

What happened on the last Post Breakfast Adventure Ride

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series Ride fine print & map
Route information - *Disclaimer, I built the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and MotoWhere's mapping program. So the routes may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the routes; it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, road conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue; politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Route map - include Cedar Creek, White Mountain, Hackberry, part of the Mackenzie trail north of Rocksprings, etc.
The lunch break spot will be along Cedar Creek.

230 mi, 7 hours, 25 minutes
Capture.PNG

Probable lunch stop along Cedar Creek
1584367988815.png

Ride plan & Rider etiquette

When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, there are also the planned fuel stop(s) to pick up a snack.

I stop at every corner without a clear / obvious direction to continue and wait for the entire group to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, if I'm leading I won’t leave you.

I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust, no need for anyone to ride in the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front of the other makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as each rider in front of the other takes responsibility for the rider behind, no one gets lost.

Please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety
AGATT

Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Properly prepare you motorcycle, in advance for the ride. Be ready to ride when the group you join is ready to take off, including a full tank of gas, or at least a 100 mile range.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, etc. Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Properly prepare you motorcycle, in advance for the ride. Be ready to ride when the group you join is ready to take off, including a full tank of gas, or at least a 100 mile range.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, etc. Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

mSrznjb6ZZvl8X7xigEq5cYAkPAfsgLu1zSB9Sp90rX9wSU1uo.jpg

No funny business:
View attachment 255846

A quick calculation for time and mileage from my homestead to Utopia dictates a departure time of 0600. Weather permitting, I’ll be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy the last ride in Bandera with the group I plan to go to this one, any know some lodging accommodation, Camping, motel in the area?

We're supposed to get rain up here from now til then. What's the rain looking like down there and does that impact the route?

Dang, I’d love to make it, especially as tomorrow’s Pi Day and that place has great pie, but my son just got back from Afghanistan and will be home for the next couple weeks. I suddenly miss the Ural because I know he’d just come along on the ride with me. Maybe we’ll be there for breakfast, but in a car. That place is worth the drive

Dang, I’d love to make it, especially as tomorrow’s Pi Day and that place has great pie, but my son just got back from Afghanistan and will be home for the next couple weeks. I suddenly miss the Ural because I know he’d just come along on the ride with me. Maybe we’ll be there for breakfast, but in a car. That place is worth the drive

We would love to meet your son. Hope y'all make the drive.

Looking forward to joining in. Haven't been on a group ride since Builtea's Back Road Ramble in 2016 ! Guess I need to get out more often !

Great!

I previously owned a 92TDM850.

I've had it for a number of years and absolutely love it ! Stopped riding it off road a few years ago even though it handles pretty good. Just didn't want beat it up too much.
Currently I have the 2009 Versys "Adventure" that you will recognize ( Calvin's bike ) for any off road riding. He did a good job on it and it's pretty fun on gravel roads and water crossings. Will be taking it to Big Bend in early April.

What time are you leaving on Saturday ? I live around 1604 / 90 area and wouldn't mind riding out to Utopia with you.

Back