• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
  • The Vendor forum is for users that wish to offer their services or products to the TWT Community. Creation of a new thread is limited to users that are members of the TWT Vendor usergroup. Contact Tourmeister to join this usergroup. Vendors may create ONE thread to promote their business. They will still be able to edit and reply to their thread, and reply to anyone else's, but they are limited to one thread. Regular users can reply to any existing thread. Vendors should strive to keep all of their business related posting in this thread.

Adventure Tour/Dual Sport Bags

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
I have a friend and customer that I have discussed a business venture with. I am starting a gear business to make adventure tour type bags.

All welded construction, powdercoated finish and mounts to fit standard applications to start. customs by request.

What I am looking for is imput from the TWT crowd on what they would like
to see. One or two lucky TWT folks One GS and One VStrom will get to be test pilots and get free bags out of the deal as you will be my beta test riders, That is If dont buy a GS before someone volunteers.

We have looked at what is in the marketplace and feel that we can offer a equal to superior product for a much better market price. All state of the art
CNC benders and 5 axis welding equipment, this customer makes custom enclosures for a living.

So ask question away offer up suggestions and PM me if you would like to be one of the volunteers.

Bud

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Touratech's solid mounting system, but wish I could get the Jesse Safari bags for them. I like the fact that the bags wrap around the muffler and Jesse's hardware is first rate. If you could pull off the BMW Adventure case's reciprocal latches, that would be the hat trick.

Thats the plan for the BMW is to make them a direct replacement to fit the stock latches or the favorite latch system out there. I want to get bags out at good pricing that owners can upgrade stock racks or aftermarket racks to not create a new latch system and lock people into racks as well.

A bag that can be removed without being opened would be good. One of the things I did not like about the Jesses was that if it was pouring down rain, I had to open them to get them off and rain would get on my stuff. Contrast this with GIVI bags which can be removed without being opened.

My tuppence worth
Boxes that can be detached without opening.
Flat lids
Lids that can be completely removed.
Tie down points on lids
Re-enforced corners (outside bottom) for the guarenteed drop.

Now, are you talking about making just the boxes, or racks as well? I can see where it would be a lot easier for a small operation to make universal boxes designed to fit some existing rack system.

Guys and Gals that have responded so far, thanks for the good input

Bags will be designed to fit existing mounts on the market, flat tops with
tie down points
Strong corners to take some abuse
Watertight seal

Bag construction will be first rate, our biggest hurdle will be mounts, who's is best and most common in your opinion

So far, I like BMW Adventure and Hepco Becker mounts. Both use a locking latch on the front edge making the bag removable while closed. Touratech's work well, but are accessed from within the bag. Jessee was no engineer, way too complicated and fragile IMHO. I have no experience with GIVI side cases, only the top case.

I over-stuff my bags. I'll admit it. I don't want to have to start unpacking things to get to the mount release.

I have a question about using hard panniers. Why would you need to take them off when they are loaded? I ask because I haven't done a long trip with mine and have only camped so I left them on the bike. I use the reusable grocery bags as liner bags to hold stuff the I might need to pull out as a group.

It's raining. You don't want to sort through everything standing next to your bike, so you take the whole pannier off and store it in the tent vestibule for easy access.

Also, I don't unpack most of what's in my panniers every day/night so if I want to take the bike out for a day ride without luggage I'd be removing full or semi-full bags.

Or... I've packed in such a way that "unpacking" involved pulling all sorts of clean & dirty clothes, toiletries, shoes, etc. out of the pannier in bits and pieces - if I was even ten feet from where I want to put it all I'd drop stuff along the way.

I use over the seat panniers and a rollbag that mounts on top of them (see my ride report on 3-Sisters and MEX). The panniers are quickly removed as is the rollbag for storage in the hotel room. The panniers contain tools and spare parts. The rollbag has my clothing and toiletries. Panniers and rollbag have factory rain covers, though I put everything inside in plastic bags. The clothing goes in plastic vacuum bags. For secutiry I use luggage locks and a cable lock that uses thin aircraft wire that is hard to cut through. The cable lock secures the panniers and roll back to the bike. I would like to see a similar hard luggage system on my next bike where the luggage can be easily removed.

Mike

I have a question about using hard panniers. Why would you need to take them off when they are loaded? I ask because I haven't done a long trip with mine and have only camped so I left them on the bike. I use the reusable grocery bags as liner bags to hold stuff the I might need to pull out as a group.

If I happen to be staying in a hotel, I prefer to take the bags off and take them in with me. If I don't, invariably I forget to bring something in and I have to make a trip back out to the bike to get it, and it usually happens more than once :doh:

Kurt, top and side GIVI bags all mount the same using their three point system. This is why many of their bags can double as both side or top cases.

I should have added that some kind of thin liner in the bag would be nice. By this I mean a lining material so that items put in the bags are not beating/rubbing directly against the metal. Even something like a 1/16" thick matting glued to the metal would be nice. I am not a big fan of using the removable bag liners. Perhaps this might be an extra option?

I've got an 04 GS Adv. I've had pretty much every hardbag out there and still prefer the Happy Trails that are on my bike now. My one complaint is that they're not easily removable, so I use liners. But overall, they're bulletproof,...the Honda of panniers.

As with most here;
Easily removable with solid latches
Flat top lids with tie down points or racks.
smooth interior, no snags.

The following is wishlist gravy;
handles for carrying/handling off bike
interior lid profile that will allow the use of lid organizers from Pelican or similar

From what I've seen (I've been researching luggage for a while now), Givi and Hepco & Becker are the most common for the V-strom. SW-Motech racks for the V-strom have adapters for the various bags. I would think that BMW and Givi will get the biggest market at first, then develope a mount for H&B then some others as demand dictates.
Hope this helps.

BTW, What price point are you aiming for?

Guys this is the feedback we are looking for. Price point will be an attractive feature, they will be better priced than anything I see out there. Final figures are a ways off as we have lots of details to put to rest.

Has someone in the Austin, San Antonio or Houston area have a damaged bag that we can use to make some evaluations on certian materials and look at lid and hinge design to see what we can do to improve on what is out there?

Sounds like a great project. I've thought about trying to adapt aluminum panniers to my Valkyrie...but I'm not normal.:eek2:

I used a set of damaged (cracked and worn) Givi E21 cases - they were cracked in a tip-over but I duct taped them back together and when they started popping open on their own I kept bungees over the top of them when riding.

They came from Scott (Tourmeister) and I I don't have them anymore, but I did pass them on to another TWT member. I just can't remember who it was... :scratch:

I also damaged the homemade mounting point on my ammo cans when I dumped the bike once. I have since replaced the material I used to hold the lock and it has held up better.

My contribution:
  • Power outlet inside to charge cellphone/camera, etc.
  • Removable bottle holder for extra gas (I am thinking what Calgary Yogi used on Alaska).
  • Reaching far down (low CG) and chamfered bottom for leaning clearance.
  • Integrated blinkers.
  • Reflective tape
  • Lid-box seal on the lid to avoid scratching it while loading/unloading. Or seal on the box but protected.
  • Organizer tray (like those trays on the coolers for small items)
  • Bluetooth and remote locks

Will we get a discount for the consulting job?

I used a set of damaged (cracked and worn) Givi E21 cases - they were cracked in a tip-over but I duct taped them back together and when they started popping open on their own I kept bungees over the top of them when riding.

It was really more like slamming into the side of a mountain at about 20mph in a glancing blow that ripped the bag right off the bike!! :lol2: :doh: Then I got ripped off... Then the bike came to rest pretty much upright with the wheels in the narrow little ditch I was trying to dual sport on a VFR 800 :mrgreen:

Might be nice to have a drain plug in the low point on the bottom for when the ice melts on the beer runs... :trust: :chug:

You should get polished stainless for the Valkyrie. ;-)
You have obviously never seen my Valkyrie:eek2:
My whole philosophy is clearly "A man's chrome is his hassle".:rider:

Back