• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advice on River Road in Big Bend

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Keefe
Recently purchased a used KLR650 and planning on making a Big Bend trip with an older friend of mine who just purchased a new 2007 model KLR. I have dirt riding experience but he does not. How difficult is the River Road in Big Bend for an inexperienced dirt rider? About how long would would it take to ride from River Road East to Santa Elana Canyon? I know that is kind of subjective but I just need to know if it's an all day affair, half-day, etc. I appreciate the advice!

ultrarider said:
Recently purchased a used KLR650 and planning on making a Big Bend trip with an older friend of mine who just purchased a new 2007 model KLR. I have dirt riding experience but he does not. How difficult is the River Road in Big Bend for an inexperienced dirt rider? About how long would would it take to ride from River Road East to Santa Elana Canyon? I know that is kind of subjective but I just need to know if it's an all day affair, half-day, etc. I appreciate the advice!

Hmm, I suspect you will be riding a sane pace so probably a half day. I'd stay on River Road, don't loop up on Black Gap. If you stop for pictures a lot, or have to deal with flats it will take longer. Also it depends on the road conditions. If it's dry and they haven't graded in a while it will be sandy in certain sections.

There are others that will jump in that are more familiar than I. Basically, half day is reasonable, but don't promise to meet someone at Santa Elena at an exact time. Take water for a full day just in case.

Technically it is not tough. Some sand, some loose rock. Lots of packed dirt. Some ups and downs, but nothing I would consider hard.

I've done RR a couple times. If dry, and it usually is, it is not very difficult. I was there in Feb this year and after the winter rains, they had it closed down in January. They ran a maintainer down the whole length which didn't get rid of the tire ruts but piled the loose stuff back into the ruts. If you read your track, you can make it through just fine as long as you don't cross-rut. By the time you get there, the ruts should be bailed out again

For a less dirt oriented rider, allow the whole day, that will give you time to stop and look around. You can take the hard top back to camp.

I just got back from a trip to Big Bend and while we didn't ride any of the dirt roads (stuck to pavement with ST ;-) ) I did hear that due to recent rains that the River Road was not in good shape. the river was also up quite a bit and there were lot of folks rafting. I'd suggest if you are going anytime soon you might call ahead and check condition of the road.

Great - Thanks for the quick replies!

That's just the advice I needed. We are going the last weekend of April and I didn't even think to call the Park Rangers and ask about the condition, Duh! The fact that it is maintained somewhat lessens my fear that it may be too difficult. We'll plan an early start and consider it an all-day excursion. We will definitively take lots of photos and ride at a leisurely pace. Thanks again for the help.

Great sites Desert Skies - THANKS!

That's perfect I sure do appreciate it:sun:

I just rode it last weekend on my GS and have to admit that I great time doing it. Fairly difficult between Rio Grand Village (east entrance) and the Mariscal (sp?) mine. After the mine it was a fairly well maintained dirt road.

Before you get to the mine coming from the east you can see where the running water after rains really damage the road and the maintained conditions. Some seriously deep gravel, and alot of ruts.

It is doable! Took me 4 hours, but the road was dry. I am positive that I will not try it during a wet spell.

I put a ride report together in the Story Telling section

The River Road is currently in very good condition and except for some soft sand/gravel strectches, is doable by a rookie... 6 weeks ago, you could have ridden it on a Gold Wing...however, that is subject to change on a near daily basis...heavy rain will make it plenty tough in places... big long mud holes, and lots of wash-outs and rain gullies to dodge...you never know exact conditions until you're on the trail... the Park Rangers don't have much motorcycle experience, so their opinion on good or bad road conditions is of dubious use...

Skinny

Thanks again for the updates. Looks like the KLR's are staying home this trip. My buddy has pulled his back out and can hardly walk. I am going to make the trip with some Harley riders heading down there during the same time frame. We will try to make another trip with the KLR's before it gets too hot. Maybe I'll venture down the RR a bit on the Ultra just for a photo op?

River road is dangerous. There are a couple riders killed on the road every year. The road is very unforgiving in the curves. But with all that said it is a very pretty and exciting ride esp after you get out of Lajitas.

River road is dangerous. There are a couple riders killed on the road every year. The road is very unforgiving in the curves. But with all that said it is a very pretty and exciting ride esp after you get out of Lajitas.

Just to clarify. The paved road Hwy 170 goes form Study Butte to Presidio is also called the River Road, but I think he was asking about the dirt 4WD drive road that is inside the NP that's called the "River Road". I've ridden 170 on my sport-touring bike and it's a great rode but does have some curves that you can't see well as you crest over hills. The dirt "River Road" in the park I've only been on in my Jeep and then only Eastern half of that road. I'd say it's OK except during rainy season where it'll wash out. I'm told the Western half of that road is more difficult but others would have to comment on that. I'm not sure about how long it would take to do the whole road, but I'd plan on all day and make sure you have gas, there are only a couple of places in the park you can get gas.

Yes I was talking about the dirt road in the park. I met some GS riders in Menard last month during my Pandale run. They were heading back to Waco after doing a Big Bend run and did the river road in the rain
:flip: Said it took them 9 hours due to all the mud. One guy cut off his front fender. I just couldn't imagine handling those pigs in those conditions but of course they were laughing about it then! I am starting to realize that it helps to have a few screws loose for dual-sporting:lol2:

the Park Rangers don't have much motorcycle experience, so their opinion on good or bad road conditions is of dubious use...

Skinny
Me my friend and his dad were there in late may. We were looking for a shortcut. We asked the park ranger about Old Maverick Rd. She said it was 4 wheel drive only the day before. Should have known. We asked her if it was passable on motorcycles. She said they had regraded it and it should be OK. We forgot to tell her they were Harley Ultra Classics. The 13 mile trip down Old Maverick Rd on a 120 degree day was a memorable experience to say the least. We laugh about it now but at one point I actually started thinking about dieing in the desert. A word for the wise, know where you are going and get professional opinions or be prepared for the worst. The desert southwest can kill you if you are unprepared. T.

Back