• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advise needed.

Reaction score
First Name
David
Bought a out of state motorcycle that is going to remain out of state. How do I register and title the bike in Texas without bringing it to Texas for the state inspection?

No inspection needed until it enters Texas. Well at least for military. My Ranger has Texas plates for six years and was never inspected.

for a out of state motorcycle that is going to remain out of state you are required by law to register it in the state it is in.

Texas lets you self certify the vehicle is not in state and is unable to be inspected, but this is for vehicles that are already registered in Texas, and has some restrictions on who can do it.
From HERE under "General Inspection":

Motorist Out-of-State When Inspection Expires

If your vehicle is out-of-state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection to renew your vehicle’s registration, you will be able to self-certify the vehicle is out-of-state and will be permitted to register. The self-certification process is limited to:

• Active Duty Military
  • Full-Time Students
  • Seasonal Texans, RVers
  • Apportioned Vehicles
  • Elected Congressional Officials
You will be able to renew your registration using self-certification online, by mail or in-person. Please contact your county tax office for more information about their requirements for out-of-state registration renewal. See County Tax Offices to find the contact information for your county of residence.

If you renew your vehicle’s registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station or destination. It is very important you keep the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) issued after completing your vehicle’s inspection in case you are stopped by law enforcement before the remark is removed from your vehicle record, which takes about 48 hours. The remark will only be removed upon payment of the state’s portion of the inspection fee and verification of a current, passing inspection.
I don't think you can get an initial registration without an inspection though.
But they may take an out of state inspection per this:
A valid certificate of inspection issued in the District of Columbia or in another state of the United States having an inspection law similar to that of the State of Texas is acceptable on a Texas-registered vehicle provided the inspection certificate was obtained while the owner or operator of the vehicle was residing in the other jurisdiction and the vehicle was regularly assigned, garaged, or stationed outside of the State of Texas. This acceptance does not extend to owners and operators who have resided continuously in Texas.

Exception: New vehicles which are purchased in a state having an inspection law similar to that of the State of Texas which were inspected and issued an inspection certificate before registration are acceptable in Texas until the expiration date of the certificate.
Really think it needs to be in Texas though to get an initial registration done.

for a out of state motorcycle that is going to remain out of state you are required by law to register it in the state it is in.
Most states won't let you register if you don't have a residence there.

Last edited:
Please post up the outcome. In a few months I will be trying to sell my Goldwing which is located in Germany. To ship it back to the states is $1,500, just to turn around and sell it. I have had some interest from others in the US who want to leave it in Europe. The only question is how does this transaction take place if they are in another state.

$1500???? Well, that's inflation. In 1977, I shipped a car from Bremerhaven to New Jersey, and it only cost $500. That included having it trucked to B-Haven from Pirmasens, where I was stationed.

Maybe my situation was because I was active duty, but I walked into Hood County Courthouse and switched from Missouri to Texas with the truck in Missouri and no state inspection in 2011.

$1500???? Well, that's inflation. In 1977, I shipped a car from Bremerhaven to New Jersey, and it only cost $500. That included having it trucked to B-Haven from Pirmasens, where I was stationed.

Not bad, but I just looked it up, $500 in 1977 is worth $2,122 in today's dollars. When I shipped my Wing (a Wing is like a small car, right?), it included delivery to and storage for two months in Heidelberg. Still, if I can sell it there, instead of shipping it back, it would save me $1,500. Hope to hear back from the OP.

1500 is a bargain. But it may be better financially just to sell it in germany. But , I'll bet their import registration bs makes TX look simple.

Simple in Germany provides it passes Tuf. Then a 10% import tariff. Add that to the price and then pay 19% sales tax and sold. That is why a lot of Germans didn’t buy vehicles from Americans was the tariff and taxes. Germany is an amazing country to tour on a Motorcycle though. Loved every minute of it.

I have a few ideas to try before bringing the bike back to Texas for the inspection. The bike is with my daughter who is military and is the operator when i'm not there. I know that to renew a car out of state you can do it on line and then do the inspection within 10 days of it returning to Texas. But it looks like that does not apply to a vehicle that is not already registered in Texas.:doh::miffed:

Online maybe not, but she can register in the county of her official home of record in person without the bike. There is a form that a local LEO, MP works, fills out to verify VIN.

I have a few ideas to try before bringing the bike back to Texas for the inspection. The bike is with my daughter who is military and is the operator when i'm not there. I know that to renew a car out of state you can do it on line and then do the inspection within 10 days of it returning to Texas. But it looks like that does not apply to a vehicle that is not already registered in Texas.:doh::miffed:

yes it does. fill out VTR-270 and take it in with you when you register it. tell them, it's your's, for her use at XYZ base. parents do it all the time for college kids.

under "certification you want to check the 2nd one.
"registered and is subject to a Texas vehicle safety inspection; however, the vehicle is located out of state."

I'm in CA, bought 2 bikes and did all TX registration by mail in 2019. you need VTR-270 and Form 130-U.

call the tax assessor/collector in your county and they will tell you exactly what you need.

yes it does. fill out VTR-270 and take it in with you when you register it. tell them, it's your's, for her use at XYZ base. parents do it all the time for college kids.

under "certification you want to check the 2nd one.
"registered and is subject to a Texas vehicle safety inspection; however, the vehicle is located out of state."

I'm in CA, bought 2 bikes and did all TX registration by mail in 2019. you need VTR-270 and Form 130-U.

call the tax assessor/collector in your county and they will tell you exactly what you need.

Thank you for the info. :clap::clap:

Just to late everyone know, the TX plates are on there way to VA. Due to bank lien on bike I just got the bike inspected.

Back