• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aerosol cans. Why?

cWj

Reaction score
First Name
mynameisnotslimshady
Why do aerosol cans dominate the chain lube sector? Why can't we just by preferred chain lube in bulk and apply via a pump sprayer with a long tip or squeeze bottle? Such thing exist for bicycles...so why not for motorized chains?

Is someone under the impression that my clutch/brake/preload adjuster-toughened hands aren't up to the task of propelling expensive gunk onto a chain?

Not sure this is the right spot for this!

I haven't ridden a street bike with a chain for a while, but I remember that my Honda service manual recommended gear oil, so that's what I used.

For my chain-drive bike (bikes in past) I love the Motul squeeze tube with brush tip/applicator. Zero mess and super simple.

+1 on the gear lube. Manufacturers recommendation and saw the Fortnine Canuck dude do pretty extensive tests and gear lube was right near the top. Super cheap; 'course I'm a super cheap KLR guy :)

Not sure this is the right spot for this!
Indeed. Didn't realize I was on the sale board when I clicked the orange button.

Now calling all mods.....

chill dudes. maybe should have been outside the FS section , but a great question. why should we pump green house gasses into the atmosphere to install chain lube? Very timely question. Any of you keeping up on the heat dome in the PNW and Chino coal mine methane output? How bout our own embarrassing as heck Permian Basin emissions? Did you know these nice citizens running the drill did not do much about emissions, in fact , they relaxed them due to Trumps downplaying it, and allowed the 2018 and newer wells there to pollute the most ever seen in the USA? I'm embarrassed about our complete lack of corporate responsibility and those managers who need castration, for their utter lack of concern about the rest of us. Sorry for the rant, but I'm blown away with what I've been studying the last couple weeks.

Yes, I meant for this to be in the general section, but it's been moved to Maint. Thanks, mod.

Even outside of environmental conversations ( not a dismissal, just asking a different question here), it just seems like this product is sold in a much different manner than similar products. It seems like the kind of thing that riders, by now would have asked to have sold a different way. So, I wonder, what is the reason for the specific use of cans? It seems like I can find my way to anything in bulk, except for chain lube.

Are cans less expensive to produce than one gallon bottles? Is offered in different packaging and sizes in non-US markets where there are more riders and people riding more miles?

I have heard of the MOTUL applicator bottle, but I've never seen it. Why doesn't DuPont or 3M sell something like that.

Come to think of it, why do DuPont and 3m seem to not go out of their way to market their lubes as bike chain lubes or develop lubes specifically for motorcycles? Do they have such lubes in non-US markets?

I'll save my adjacent "why aren't motorcycles designed with chain oilers" question for another day.

Last edited:
ren_20_cha_lub.jpg

And there is one choice out there!

Curious what would be wrong with using your bicycle lube on the motorcycle chain. Most motorcycle chains don't require lubing because the lube is inside the seals and all we are doing is putting a protective coating on the chain to keep the outside from rusting, which it seems most lubes should be capable of doing if you do proper cleaning and application.

Not all, nor even most, of the aerosol sprays use damaging chemicals/gasses for propellant. Brush is too broad here.

Here is a lifetime supply of non-aerosol chain lube.
"A general-purpose lubricant for vending machines and sewing machines. "

conflicting info on that one...

I have seen buckets of generic "chain lube". I have not seen buckets or gallons of branded motorcycle chain lube.

Last edited:
Curious what would be wrong with using your bicycle lube on the motorcycle chain. Most motorcycle chains don't require lubing because the lube is inside the seals and all we are doing is putting a protective coating on the chain to keep the outside from rusting, which it seems most lubes should be capable of doing if you do proper cleaning and application.
Fling I believe. Motochain lube also lubricate contact points between chain rollers and sprockets, so there is a need for something different from bicycle chain lubes. There are bicyclists that will tell you that moto chain lube adds friction...I read one claiming that a motorcycle dragger to use bicycle lube between each run because they ran faster.

Moto lube would seem to sacrifice some slipperiness for hardiness - and I already don't want to spray-and-spin more than every 600 miles. I have tried motochain lube on a bicycle, never vice versa.

I experimented with using ATF in a loobman. it did great and I probably got over 15k out of that chain and sprocket set. Nice thing about TF is the detergents in it keep the drivetrain really clean and it's pretty easy to wash off the wheel, swingarm, etc.

That said I have several aerosol cans of lube that seem to just keep multiplying in my garage. I'll keep using those until they are used up I guess.

And, to be clear, I am not venting about the cans* - I really am asking why cans instead of (etc.).

*yep, I punned it.

I bought a gallon of chainsaw bar oil in the 80s , I’m still using it and my chains run 40,000 miles too .

Back