• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Affordable techie items?

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
So I am the perverbial cheap skate hence one of the reasons I ride a KLR. Regardless I wanted to see what non mainstream text gear folks have tried. I would love a GoPro as much as the next guy but have to keep the motorcycle budget in check. Add your thoughts on the areas below or other items you have used or tried.

Helmet/Body camera?
I have a super cheap one that's about 4 years old it works but would like to upgrade.

Phone mount?
somthing similar to a Ram mount. Maybe those are cheap enough it doesn't matter. Thoughts?

Bluetooth headset?

Extra lights for off-road?

some of that stuff is expensive. I see cheap lights at harbor freight but not sure of other affordable options

Heated gear?
I can't find much out there that's not expensive.

Other items?

Thanks

I have a GitUp Git1 action camera and it works for me. Probably a little less intuitive than the big names (edited to correct model - originally said Git2, but I have Git1)

I use a BT-S2 intercom which works really well for phone calls and music. It works fine for a communicator with my group, which is 3 people who all have the same intercom. It is a little finicky to set up and I think it might not be a good choice if you want to link up with different people on every ride, but is probably OK if you will only be linked to the same people all the time (max 2 other people).

I used to do homemade phone mounts because Ram mounts are expensive, but I use Ram mounts now because they're convenient..

Saw a guy in England (youtube) install these on his GS; The MissendenFlyer. MICTUNING CREE LED Light Bar, 2PCS 4Inch 18W Spot LED Pods 1260lm Off Road Driving Fog Lights For Jeep Rzr ATV UTV SUV Truck Boat Motorcycle Amazon for $16

I just purchased a Venture Jacket liner for my wife for $185, very nicely made, They make the hotwired stuff that Revzilla sells. https://ventureheat.com

I have most of the above, several pieces I got second hand which helped with the cost.
I have found for heated gear though that I was actually more comfortable using Merino wool layers. You can often find them in second hand stores who may not have noticed them being a superior product and priced very fairly!

Bluetooth, I have a couple but I prefer to use earbuds, have even modified some with earplugs to good effect, very quiet in my helmet but still enjoy the music.
Usually only use the BT when the wife is riding with me.

Body/bike cams etc, I only use on-road because I accidently trashed my first one in the dirt, very spendy crash that was. Also, I realized I really only wanted the evidence aspect in the end, there are some very affordable options out there now that hardwire to the bike.

Grip warmers, wonderful things especially when at altitude.

USB ports, cheap, easy to install, wonderful things!

Ebay/Amazon can find loads of cheap lights for bikes, but you do usually get what you pay for so.....
Super-bright added brake lights are also a great idea, love mine.

Cell phone mount: My local Walmart has a knock-off of the Ram cell phone mount for $20. I've used it for about the last month, done 80 mph on the highway, and have had no issues with it.

Bluetooth speakers: I bought a Sena SMH-10 for my helmet (Bell Qualifier DLX) for $120 from revzilla.com. Works pretty well with my phone (Samsung S8 Active).

I use an ion Air Pro Lite video camera.

I got mine off Amazon for $65. You would need to watch for that price. New is currently $109. There is a used one up for sale, $35.

Likes... Water proof up to 30ft. Mine has been tested in rain, mud puddles, even very wet sand. Still works great. Has a WiFi adapter, you connect via wireless to download videos/images. When on the ride, I download to my Samsung Active and edit/post with PowerDirector. Storage capacity is base on size of MicroSD you can afford.

Detractors (but for the price, what you might expect)... No image stabilization. Mounted at 90 or 270 degree, it alters the resolution slightly. Not many mounting attachments as with GoPro. Does have helmet mount. You don't need Macgyver like skills to make work-arounds for verious mounting location. But some ingenuity might be helpful. The 170 degree wide angle lens works great out to 20-30ft, past that, or on the horizon, detail falls off quickly.

My videos are just family viewing, share with the inmates here. If you have high hopes of becoming a big time YouTuber, GoPro is the Cadillac...

So... To wrap up my review. I like the ion. It works good for what I do. And I can work around its shortcomings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cardo Gx9...used

My son and I share a match set. They work okay for two-way communications. Phone calls, works okay. For music sound quality, sucks. Trying to connect to other riders, need a NASA scientist to figure that crap out.

Honestly, I don't use it much for music anymore. And when I really think about what it cost (even used) I would have been better off with crash bars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back