• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin 850L

I heard they are discontinuing the 1000.

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

After having an opportunity to examine and sit on a KTM 790, both an R and an S. They have set the bar really high..

Why wouldn't they use the nc700x engine for this mid weight a.t. version. Is this 700 engine not as powerful as the tenere 700 engine? Seem like there would be some weight saving to be had for Honda to go from 850 to 700. Guess they want to stay in line with the KTM and BMW middle weights which is still too much bike for it's intended use. Weight saving trade off is more valuable imo but I do understand about marketing and American consumerism about "more value" than the other guy on the show room floor even if it's flawed thinking. What do I know, they have buildings full of people trying to answer the "what do Americans want" question.

Last edited:
From other sites, I've heard the Africa Twin 1000 is going up in displacement to a 1200. Seems the Africa Twin is outselling all of Honda's other bikes handily. Go watch the Africa Twin singletrack video I posted last night. Imagine what that guy could do on a lighter bike!

Why wouldn't they use the nc700x engine for this mid weight a.t. version. Is this 700 engine not as powerful as the tenere 700 engine? Seem like there would be some weight saving to be had for Honda to go from 850 to 700. Guess they want to stay in line with the KTM and BMW middle weights which is still too much bike for it's intended use. Weight saving trade off is more valuable imo but I do understand about marketing and American consumerism about "more value" than the other guy on the show room floor even if it's flawed thinking. What do I know, they have buildings full of people trying to answer the "what do Americans want" question.

The NC700X (671cc) has since been replaced with the NC750X (745cc). Guessing they don't want to step on sales so maybe that's why they went 850? I mean if its true and not just a rumor. The NC700X engine is pretty soft at around 50hp and 46 ft-lbs of torque, not to mention it weighs 500 lbs in DCT trim. Those numbers won't impress 2021 ADV buyers, I'd guess.

But the KTM 790 makes as much horsepower as the Africa Twin if I remember correctly and comes in around 460 lbs. wet, I think. I suspect this AT850 will be very near 500 lbs and be like 70's hp. That doesn't match up well with the KTM at all. Seems like going with that 671cc engine and a lighter bike might have been smarter. Who knows.

That said, with some knobbies, the NC700X has plenty of go off pavement. It will go 95mph down a gravel road if you want to. I've seen @JQ1.0 doing 70+mph in dirt on his. It just lacks good suspension and ground clearance, but for most riders, I suspect it is enough.

The Tenere 700 is the target, so you need something with true off-road capability. The Tenere 700 and KTM 790 are true ADVs with the 790 being a little better on the road. Neither are light though. So a Honda 850 will actually probably match up fairly well....

The "target" is highly subjective. Some folks think anything over 275 lbs is "big" while others think of a 500 lb bike as "small" or perhaps "middleweight". That is why all the "What's the best dualsport/adventure bike?" threads go on and on for pages and pages. The great thing is how many awesome choices there are out there!

I LOVE my GSs, even the older 2007 I recently replaced with a 2017. But I also LOVE my KTM 530 EXC when I am riding stuff for which it is well suited. If I had more time to ride and more disposable income, I'd likely have a KTM 300 two stroke for riding in the woods. Even though I can't swing that, it is awesome that there are so many fantastic bikes out there from which to choose.

From other sites, I've heard the Africa Twin 1000 is going up in displacement to a 1200. Seems the Africa Twin is outselling all of Honda's other bikes handily. Go watch the Africa Twin singletrack video I posted last night. Imagine what that guy could do on a lighter bike!

I think the 2020 will have an increase to 1050 cc

Back