• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

There are a few ride reports on advrider of some folks doing 2 up tours. However, my wife would not ride back there. I took off the pillion seat and replaced with an altrider plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty sure there's not a wife on the planet that would ride 2UP on an AT when there is a Goldwing sitting in the garage unless it was a dirt trip. I could say the same about the GS and the Super Duke GT in my garage as well.

My wife used to ride other stuff but once she experienced the Wing, I can't get my bike to even sit on anything else, much less go for a ride. YMMV....but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Apparently, the Africa Twin can do this:

Yeah...but Mick's AT has a clutch :)

Seriously.... the AT is a REALLY capable bike. 21 inch front, good clearance, plenty of power, not excessively heavy, resilient mechanical design. It's way more capable than most of the riders that will buy or ride it. (you could say that about a lot of bikes though....but the AT is definitely one of them)

You are making the AT proud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys...joined the AT family today. 2018 DCT. I have a question for you guys. DFW Honda sells a "Pit Pass" for $300. It's unlimited oil changes for 3 years. Realistically I'm not going to ride as much as most of you do. Based on mileage from previous bikes...I would be surprised if I went over 7000 miles/year. Question is...what have you guys been paying for oil/filter changes at a dealership? I know the first one is due at 600 miles...then every 8000 after that. I will be lucky to hit 3 changes in 3 years...unless there is also a time limit between changes (I pick up the bike on Tuesday, so haven't seen the manual). Think its worth the $300?

Welcome to the family, Travis. The next good weather Sunday you have off, you need to come riding with us and break that thang in.

I personally wouldn't give a dealership a single cent to work on any of my bikes. I also can't get myself to put 8000 miles between oil changes. You can get the parts to do it yourself for about $40. That's enough to buy a rear tire, which you will be doing very soon anyway.

Hey guys...joined the AT family today. 2018 DCT. I have a question for you guys. DFW Honda sells a "Pit Pass" for $300. It's unlimited oil changes for 3 years. Realistically I'm not going to ride as much as most of you do. Based on mileage from previous bikes...I would be surprised if I went over 7000 miles/year. Question is...what have you guys been paying for oil/filter changes at a dealership? I know the first one is due at 600 miles...then every 8000 after that. I will be lucky to hit 3 changes in 3 years...unless there is also a time limit between changes (I pick up the bike on Tuesday, so haven't seen the manual). Think its worth the $300?

Congrats Travis. You can ride over to my house and we can change the oil. $20 oil (I use Rotella t6) and a $7 oil filter. Takes about 10 minutes. Did you get the Adventure Sports or Standard?

I change the oil on all my old bikes, but this is the first new one I've bought since 1978 (GL1000). Just don't want to give Honda an "out" in case I ever need any warranty work. I can already hear them claiming the warranty void because I did my own maintenance!:shock:

I change the oil on all my old bikes, but this is the first new one I've bought since 1978 (GL1000). Just don't want to give Honda an "out" in case I ever need any warranty work. I can already hear them claiming the warranty void because I did my own maintenance!:shock:
Manilla file folder marked maintenance records for at. It's all about documentation, receipts, remarks etc. (Ex filled with xx mili liters of brand x oil )This is what is wanted in court so if that crap is pulled, your covered and saved a ton. I buy fram filters and synthetic jaso oil from Walmart for my wet clutch Strom 650. No big deal.

I think there is a law they can't deny warranty if you do your own maintenance.

Magnuson Moss warranty act passed in 1975 says a manufacturer can't deny a warranty if you do the work yourself unless they offer to do it for free.

They'd have to prove neglect to deny the claim.

Dealerships like to act like this is a problem, but it's simply not one. Do your own maintenance and feel confident it's done right and you'll not a problem with any warranty work if needed.

Africa twin now has cruise control

.....at least mine does now [emoji41]

ece96e1dd9a94c7cad42549cd066dc10.jpg

Mccruise. Great instructions, tedious process. Not for the faint of heart lol

4edc7b8c2b47254b60f205b6ce8e7230.jpg

Took me 12 hours, 4 hours of actually doing something, 8 hours looking for misplaced tools and bolts[emoji23]

What a PIA to get into the twin like that, it was truly not like working on the Husky. FYI, when I tried to put my air box back on, I noticed the rubber intakes from the air box to the butterfly valves tended to slip out from the air box leaving a gap that would allow dirt to get right into the air box. I ended up gluing the rubber intakes to the air box to prevent this from happening on re-install. Just thought I would mention it... It wasn't obvious unless I really looked. Now I check when I change air filters, you can get a look from that position to make sure all is well . . .

Did you get it direct from Mccruise or did you go through a aftermarket dealer?

What a PIA to get into the twin like that, it was truly not like working on the Husky. FYI, when I tried to put my air box back on, I noticed the rubber intakes from the air box to the butterfly valves tended to slip out from the air box leaving a gap that would allow dirt to get right into the air box. I ended up gluing the rubber intakes to the air box to prevent this from happening on re-install. Just thought I would mention it... It wasn't obvious unless I really looked. Now I check when I change air filters, you can get a look from that position to make sure all is well . . .

Yep, I noticed that and checked them really good. Your right it is a PIA!

Due to a severe flare-up of my MBD (multiple bide disorder) during the Covid-19 lockdown, I have joined the ranks of AT owners with the recent purchase of a new 2018 DCT. I got the bug earlier this year after discovering there were quite a few new 2017 and 2018 models still sitting on dealers showroom floors and being offered at significant discounts. I didn't pull the trigger back then but after tgtumbleweed let me ride his AT a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist any longer. Time to farkle. :trust:
IMG_1051-XL.jpg
:trust:

I bought a 2018 DCT last spring. Really like it. I haven’t done a lot of knarly off-road with it, but it has been a good ride on forest service roads, a few mountain passes, and regular Texas dirt roads. I have been fortunate so far...and haven’t had to pick it up yet! :rider:

Richard, congrats! many times I miss my AT.

Please get some real tires on her!

Does anybody here know the name of the plugin device that helps improve low RPM fueling? I installed the Booster Plug on my AT, but it was a PIA to do. Shortly after I did mine, someone came out with a plug and play device that installed under the seat I think that does the exact same thing, but I don't remember the name of it?

Also installed the Honda 12V outlet, it was pretty easy, just had to pull off some of the front fender. Not sure I would put the center stand on again, it did crash into a lot of things, but was handy when working on her.

You have so many more options for skid plates, crash bars, bark busters, etc.

Otherwise ride her and enjoy!!!

Back