• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

Happy Father's Day to all!

Yes, I've ridden in Sam Houston years ago, before permits were required on a dirt bike. It's mostly tight single track.not sure I'd take the AT in there, but maybe I'd try.
There are several paved FM roads through the area though, and some gravel back roads.
Been meaning to go to Bastrop and meet up with some of the guys that ride some trails there, but haven't yet. Used to ride in my grandpa's farm below Elgin and Manor way back when. Out on Hogeye road. Place has sure changed a lot since then.

There is a route from Mason, down near Doss, with some Creek crossings I'd like to see soon. Maybe when it cools a bit, it would be a good starter route? I'll have to look up the name of the roads. Maybe you've heard of them.

Furthest west on the bike so far is LaGrange.

Happy Fathers day. No riding was done this weekend. Spent the time with pop. Now a whole week of rain and I don't have rain gear. Thinking Saturday may be my day!

Yeah, no riding here, either. And this coming weekend the kids want to take me somewhere for my B'day. Hope they bring me back! Haha.
Hopefully, the next weekend is clear

The road out near Mason that I was thinking of is James River Road. Traced it on Google Earth, and looks pretty good. Probably too long for a weekend ride from the Houston area, though.

Decided not to even bother checking out the new AT Friday. My AT is running great, no problems that I know of, other than it's parked too much.

Rode Jason River Rd (and many others) last weekend on my AT. Good times.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgxkA-vhdc"]Hill Country Dirt - YouTube[/ame]

Jarrett,
Nice, liked the video. That area looks great, but I'd have to overnight somewhere. Just need to make time. Always seem to find these rides right after they are finished.

Last edited:
Has anyone done their own valve check? Has anyone had to adjust them? I'm at 13k miles and was going to have Woods check them while I had the do the tires and brakes. But they wanted 1000 for the valve check! That seems way high to me. It takes maybe 45 mins to strip the bike down. So I can see an hr for that, but they are saying its an 8 hr job. I'm guessing they want me to pay for their lunch time too.

Anyways, guess I'm just going to have to do the tires and brakes myself. I just didn't want to have to spend the time in the hot garage!

Any idea on a set of tires that are more road? I'm looking for more of an 80-20.

OH, and which pads are you using?

I've only changed the oil on mine so far.

And I've been running the Shinko 804/TKC80 combo after stock.

I'll be lucky if I get 3,000 out of the TKC80 rear.

I've only changed the oil on mine so far.

And I've been running the Shinko 804/TKC80 combo after stock.

I'll be lucky if I get 3,000 out of the TKC80 rear.

I have the 804/805 now. I don't like the on road feel of them. 90% of my ride is on the hardball to work and back. So I'm just going back to a more street tire.

Picking their noses is two-man, two-hour job at Woods...

Seems like it. I will say I've had good service at the parts counter. The only issue there is they don't seem to know their parts. It took two guys to look up my brakes and then they didn't know if they had the tires in stock. On that note, we had difference of opinions on what the definition of IN STOCK meant. They said they had them in stock at their Dallas location (somewhere north). I laughed and said I thought in stock meant you had them on hand, in THIS store. He didn't reply.:trust:

I have the 804/805 now. I don't like the on road feel of them. 90% of my ride is on the hardball to work and back. So I'm just going back to a more street tire.

I couldn't tell much difference between the 804/TKC80 from my stock tires on the road, which surprised me. But man does that rear tire wear fast.

I think I'm going to reverse it next time. TKC80 front, Shinko 805 rear. I'm always trying to get my AT off pavement though.

I thought about the Shinko 70x tires, but I hear really mixed reviews on them regarding traction both on and off the pavement.

I loved the set of Pirelli MT90AT tires I put on my twin that I ordered a new set the other day and will put them on when I take off the Mitas E07's.

They work perfectly on the road and really great on the hill country stuff we have around here. Even did the Hill Country 500 in the rain 2 years ago with them. The wet slim is a challenge but still road the entire loop the second day in the rain with them.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pirelli-mt90at-enduro-dual-sport-tires

Oh that is a bit of a shocker about the cost for the valve check. Need to check the service manual, if it requires taking off the tank and airbox, then I can understand the 8 hours. Getting all the way down to the airbox is a PIA and I am not anxious to do it again anytime soon. Glad I am only at about 7,000 miles then :)

Replaced rear spring with cogent 10.7kg.

Suspension set up just right for me now. No revalving required.

sag is now set where I like it.

I also replaced fluid in forks with 10w.

ac21802abaf4f52535f02c342bcc5991.jpg

Back in ‘06 when I was shopping for a new XR650L and while working in Austin one week, I stopped by Woods to see what they had to offer. The sales guy said they didn’t have one in stock, but would get back to me when they did. Galveston Honda got one in and they made me a deal on it below MSRP. Got a call from Woods saying they located one and would sell it to me for MSRP plus the shipping cost to get it sent to them. So not surprised by what they asking for a valve adjustment check.
On a different note, what are you guys using for driving lights? I’ve got an Eastern Beaver relay kit to install and would like to put on some driving lights as well. Whatcha usinin’?

By the way my wife just discovered you can get 15% off parts, accessories and service at woods and other dealers if you are a member of Costco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

like a champ. I am on my second mitas. when I was in colorado in june, I couldnt get to come out of valve stem. The rubber spoke protector I left on over the tape shifted and covered the valve stem. I removed it when I got back and installed a new mitas.

Did you fix your rear yet? (tire....lol)

I am also using the balancing beads inside the tire, very smooth.
Kevin:

How is your tubeless set up working?

Thanks

Rich

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

like a champ. I am on my second mitas. when I was in colorado in june, I couldnt get to come out of valve stem. The rubber spoke protector I left on over the tape shifted and covered the valve stem. I removed it when I got back and installed a new mitas.

Did you fix your rear yet? (tire....lol)

I am also using the balancing beads inside the tire, very smooth.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Haven't fixed mine yet. Still working on wearing out the tire. It has 8300 miles on and still has a long ways to go.

Well, the Texas heat did me in. The bike is at the dealer getting brakes and tires. I'm not fighting the heat.

Back