• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

Probably user error. It was fine when I got home.

Joe is a bad influence by the way.

Anyone want some free stock tires for their Africa Twin?

They came on the bike new in April, pulled them off in late May before a trip to the Hill Country and they've been in the garage since.

I think they have around 3,700 miles on them, but still plenty of life left.

Free for pickup in Waxahachie. Any takers?

46387082-507872189694838-4207777235098140672-n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone want some free stock tires for their Africa Twin?

They came on the bike new in April, pulled them off in late May before a trip to the Hill Country and they've been in the garage since.

I think they have around 3,700 miles on them, but still plenty of life left.

Free for pickup in Waxahachie. Any takers?

46387082-507872189694838-4207777235098140672-n.jpg

What tires did you get?

I STILL HAVE A STOCK REAR WITH 600 MILES ON IT COLLECTING DUST IN MY SHOP. FREE IF ANYONE NEEDS ANOTHER.

I took my forks apart today doing preventative maintenance to replace seals and bushings. I am also replacing springs. I have 23k miles on bike. I have used shock sox the entire time.

I have the worn coating issue. This happened in the outside of the fork. I took them to dfw Honda today, they took pics and will contact Honda to see about replacement with the 2018. Btw, the supension still worked well, no stiction. I replaced the fork oil about 10k miles ago.

I will turn the good side to the outside until I hear from Honda.

Right

932e88917a875b7c1f3e5dfeb5dcb979.jpg

Left
fd6f96793fba81a7da73a95b88e8b8b3.jpg

Bushings left

fc59356833ea19c7db752fd736f1cc1c.jpg

Bushings right - copper worn
a6e2d9d28cb63512466a3e460accd286.jpg

New springs

f350d5537ff2f42297dae3a639a01e43.jpg

d0ad46867311d10308c7436a939d81f2.jpg

Huh? I thought they would have been at least .85 if not .90

That would require revalving. Main diff is it is not a progressive spring like one.

Stock springs are .54 I believe. I was pretty happy with one, I had to run my preload too high and used too much sag. I need a little heavier spring. I changed spring on rear and it is perfect for me. Todd at Cogent has been very helpful. Both front and rear came from cogent.

Last edited:
What tires did you get?

I have a Shinko 804 on the front. Initially, I started off with a TKC80 on the back in May and replaced it with a Shinko 805 in September before the Arkansas Dirt trip.

I think I'm going to do a TKC80 up front next, but not sure what to go with in the back. I want to do something less aggressive than the Shinko 804 or TKC80 so it will last longer.

Any recommendations? TKC70? Mitas something?

Let me know what you find on the forks. I might need to get mine checked. I've only got 9,000 on mine so far.

I have a Shinko 804 on the front. Initially, I started off with a TKC80 on the back in May and replaced it with a Shinko 805 in September before the Arkansas Dirt trip.

I think I'm going to do a TKC80 up front next, but not sure what to go with in the back. I want to do something less aggressive than the Shinko 804 or TKC80 so it will last longer.

Any recommendations? TKC70? Mitas something?

Let me know what you find on the forks. I might need to get mine checked. I've only got 9,000 on mine so far.

I use the tkc80 front and mitas 7 rear, I am happy. 10k front and about 7500 rear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mistreck, keep us informed about the fork issue, I noticed when I was jumping the logs at our place on the Hill Country 500 the forks were topping out and bottoming out really bad. I think the topping out clunk was louder than the bottoming out. Would love to get some better springs front and back along with more rebound damping.

Hadn't heard of any problems with the forks till I read your post. Any other known problems?

I just noticed my spokes seem to be tarnished really bad. I recall reading something in the early batches of bikes some had problems with spokes rusting, does anybody else remember this or am I just remembering wrong?

Mistreck, keep us informed about the fork issue, I noticed when I was jumping the logs at our place on the Hill Country 500 the forks were topping out and bottoming out really bad. I think the topping out clunk was louder than the bottoming out. Would love to get some better springs front and back along with more rebound damping.

Hadn't heard of any problems with the forks till I read your post. Any other known problems?

I just noticed my spokes seem to be tarnished really bad. I recall reading something in the early batches of bikes some had problems with spokes rusting, does anybody else remember this or am I just remembering wrong?
The oem springs are sprung for a 170 lb rider, like almost all oem systems. you would be amazed what $150 on springs will do. My forks were still working fine, no stiction, just too soft. I did not have any more preload adjustment so it was time. This is really not that big of a deal. Worst comes to worse, I can get the 2018 standard tubes for about $300 for each tube. Or I can go with Ohlins for $2500, perhaps sell them for $1,200 when I get another twin in a few years. My twin has 23k miles, and I have been happy as a clam the entire time.

Like @macdaddy said, we all have ridden lesser bikes with lesser suspension. I think the internet blows some of this out of proportion. You read the AT suspension thread on advrider and you wonder how picky can a person be on suspension. Changing 1 or 2 shims etc. I am not that picky. Almost all of my bikes I have changed springs out from the OEM.

BTW, for you guys trying to balance a 50/50 tire, try dyna beads. I run them in my tubes in front and tubeless on rear. I have run them for many years on different bikes. The ride is smooth as glass!

Did a 200 mile ride today. I have reached motorcycle nirvana:)

The twin handles the corners like it is on rails (at least for a 21” wheel). No more wallowing. The suspension leaves me wanting nothing else!

I have the preload on 3 turns, I really don’t think I need that much. I took the bike loaded today.

I have rebound 3.5 clicks, damping 3.5 turns. Rear preload 2 turns, 3 clicks rebound.

I have officially finished all my farkles!

Back