• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

After Thanksgiving Arkansas / Oklahoma Dual Sport Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
@MacDaddy and I are planning on riding around the Big Cedar / Talimena / Wolf Pen / Albert Pike area on Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Likely camp at Billy Creek and try and ride a mix of forest roads and a bit more technical 2 track or lesser road since we'll be on our 500 dirt bikes.

Plan is to leave DFW Friday morning, ride Friday afternoon and Saturday. Camp Friday and Saturday night and come home Sunday.

This time of year weather can be a factor and we'll likely adapt as needed. I'm ok with wet or cold but not both and especially not when camping.

Our pace will be moderate to quick but we'll wait at turns so you don't have to ride our pace to come. Probably not a great ride for a first timer, but most should be fine. Hopefully we'll have enough that we'll have multiple people at various speeds and natural riding groups will form.

We'll post more as.we get closer and understand the weather forecast but put the dates on the calendar if you are interested in joining us.

Last edited:
@MacDaddy and I are planning on riding around the Big Cedar / Talimena area on Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Likely camp at Billy Creek and try and ride a mix of forest roads and a bit more technical 2 track or lesser road since we'll be on our 500 dirt bikes.

Plan is to leave DFW Friday morning, ride Friday afternoon and Saturday. Camp Friday and Saturday night and come home Sunday.

This time of year weather can be a factor and we'll likely adapt as needed. I'm ok with wet or cold but not both and especially not when camping.

Our pace will be moderate to quick but we'll wait at turns so you don't have to ride our pace to come. Probably not a great ride for a first timer, but most should be fine. Hopefully we'll have enough that we'll have multiple people at various speeds and natural riding groups will form.

We'll post more as.we get closer and understand the weather forecast but put the dates on the calendar if you are interested in joining us.

Gosh that looks like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Realized I had it posted in the General Forum so deleted it there and re-posted here.

And yes. It will definitely be fun.

(lurking to see if any slow guys decide to go.)

That would be me ... old and slow.

I'll be a last minute addition, mostly based upon weather.

Is there room to park and stay in a 12' enclosed trailer at Billy Creek?

That would be me ... old and slow.

I'll be a last minute addition, mostly based upon weather.

Is there room to park and stay in a 12' enclosed trailer at Billy Creek?
Definitely. I've had my 5th wheel there and no problem. Its a beautiful place.

...Is there room to park and stay in a 12' enclosed trailer at Billy Creek?

For the length, no problem. Only one campsite has electric though. I've been there for a couple extended stays and never more than two others camping on any given night.

However we passed through last month on dirt bikes and the entire campground was packed and overflowing. Apparently hunting season turns the place into a zoo.

Sent from my 100015685-A using Tapatalk

There is a Horse / RV park about a mile away from Billy Creek that has full hookups. They have a little trailer you can rent for the night as well. Steve and I have stayed there and it's nice. We've also stayed at an RV park by Big Cedar that has cabins.

Interesting note about the hunters taking all the spaces. I don't believe you can make reservations at Billy Creek. As such, maybe we should consider moving to the RV Parks. It will cost some, but also helps if the weather is borderline.

Weather check.....at the moment, Saturday the 21st, weather looks suspect as both wet and cool Th-Sun of next week.

If it's still looking that way around Tuesday, we'll either cancel or head in another direction.

Attachments

• c4acda22e79d0d2a69afee5cbbb7d9cd.jpg
    c4acda22e79d0d2a69afee5cbbb7d9cd.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 187
...Only one campsite has electric though...Apparently hunting season turns the place into a zoo...
No electricity at Billy Creek. I tested the connection last time I was there. No water either. Pit toilet only.

Deer Season lasts through at least the end of November, correct?

No electricity at Billy Creek. I tested the connection last time I was there. No water either. Pit toilet only.

Let's see what the weather looks like on Tuesday and we'll go from there...

RV park reservations might be better....but we have to make sure we are still going.

Side note...if we can't go NE to Arkansas/Oklahoma, maybe we head SW to the Hill Country. But let's wait and see what the weather does.

Bottom line...as long as I can ride some fun dirt, I'm in.

Deer Archery: October 1, 2020 to January 15, 2021

Youth Deer Gun: October 16, 2020 to October 18, 2020

Deer Primitive Arms (Muzzleloading): October 24, 2020 to November 1, 2020

Deer Gun: November 21, 2020 to December 6, 2020

Holiday Antlerless: December 18, 2020, to December 31, 2020

Let's see what the weather looks like on Tuesday and we'll go from there...

RV park reservations might be better....but we have to make sure we are still going.

Side note...if we can't go NE to Arkansas/Oklahoma, maybe we head SW to the Hill Country. But let's wait and see what the weather does.

Bottom line...as long as I can ride some fun dirt, I'm in.
Hidden Falls might be a safe backup plan. and it's definitely fun and big!

It's a private park in Marble Falls area. Really big with all kinds of stuff. Plus you're in the hill country for back roads. Win/win.

You should throw a set of supermoto wheels on that KTM and go back up there. WooHoo!!!
Unfortunately the tires weren't the problem. It was the rider being to chicken to wick the throttle. I was so puckered up I could have polished a penny in 10 seconds.

Between the inability to reserve a spot at Billy Creek, the expectation of lots of hunters which might make the 2 track and singletrack "interesting" and the fact that the weather is a bit worse there than a bit farther north, we decided that we should move.

As such, we're moving North a bit to the Oark area. Plan to camp at Byrds Adventure Park on the Mulberry River.

We plan to arrive Friday around noon and leave on Sunday. Weather looks pretty decent. Nice actually for this time of year.

@MacDaddy . @WFO75080 and I are definitely in. We might have my son as well. Would love to have you join us. We'll all be on 450 / 500 dirt bikes so hopefully we'll find a bit of technical road but probably a lot of forest roads, just exploring and having fun.

Plan is to ride some in the afternoon on Friday, most of the day on Saturday, and maybe a short ride on Sunday...maybe. Friday and Saturday night should be filled with incredible stories of intrigue as we re-live the day and day's past.

Weather looks good...would love to have you join us....
fa3739a1d7421e5cd479bc0179d1e982.jpg

Between the inability to reserve a spot at Billy Creek, the expectation of lots of hunters which might make the 2 track and singletrack "interesting" and the fact that the weather is a bit worse there than a bit farther north, we decided that we should move.

As such, we're moving North a bit to the Oark area. Plan to camp at Byrds Adventure Park on the Mulberry River.

We plan to arrive Friday around noon and leave on Sunday. Weather looks pretty decent. Nice actually for this time of year.

@MacDaddy . @WFO75080 and I are definitely in. We might have my son as well. Would love to have you join us. We'll all be on 450 / 500 dirt bikes so hopefully we'll find a bit of technical road but probably a lot of forest roads, just exploring and having fun.

Plan is to ride some in the afternoon on Friday, most of the day on Saturday, and maybe a short ride on Sunday...maybe. Friday and Saturday night should be filled with incredible stories of intrigue as we re-live the day and day's past.

Weather looks good...would love to have you join us....
View attachment 280003

I would normally be in, but son is coming home for the weekend...

Back