• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AirBNB - Your negative or positive experiences using the platform

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
With the recent Orinda shooting. AirBNB has plastered the new feeds. If you've followed this news story. You are aware the connection to AirBNB is simple. The location was booked through AirBNB as a family reunion for 12 people. The situation went south, more then 100 people were at the house when shots were fired.

Shootings at Airbnb rentals happen regularly. In the past six months, at least 42 people have been shot at short-term rentals in the US and 17 people have died, according to a report by the San Francisco Chronicle.

I've used AirBNB for motorcycle rides and vacations, three times total. I have had both positive and negative experiences.

My first stay in Houston TX. was a single bedroom with a family of four. I met the husband on arrival and he was very accommodating and allowed parking the bike in the driveway, keeping it off the street. The room was clean, they left me alone, and the place was just as described. The price was very reasonable. If I had to complain about something? The host's coffee is little more then hot water. This spot fit my needs perfectly. It was a great stop for a hot shower and warm bed. I even washed a load of cloths.

My next experience was Corpus Christi. I selected the host based on the low price. I was on a budget and the price fit. I saw from the photos, it was an older house with few amenities, a bed with sheets, hot shower, kitchen, just the basics. I was alone on the ride, no wife, no kids, only myself worry about. The photos showed an attractive but simple backyard with chairs, an old wooden wire spool for a yard table. I looked forward to evening with a cold beer and cigar while sitting out back.

Reaching Corpus, I dropped off the highway as GPS directed me to the location. My Spider sense kicked in immediately. As I drew closer to the location, I began seeing more and larger groups of vagabonds and freeloaders. My mind raced with images of drug users stealing my bike. Run down houses with windows boarded up were on every block. Some homes had car fenders or doors attached to the house as if covering some hole.

Once I arrived at my hosts house. The front yard was a junk yard of busted up cars. There would be no place to leave my bike but in the street. A very uncomfortable feeling.

The host was polite, showed me to what would have been my room. Down the hall to the bathroom where the gecko's raced across the walls. This bathroom appeared to be an addition to the house that was never completed. All the plumbing was on the outside of the wall. My host took me to the back yard, the place I was hoping to sip cold beers and smoke cigars? The place hadn't been mowed in months. The plastic chairs were busted. I politely thanked the host for his time and quickly left.

My third experience was in Alpine TX. A quick weekend in Big Bend while my mother visited from Michigan. No "significant" issues. We had the whole house to ourselves. And the mouse that pooped on the bed. And what ever it was that fell on the arm of my while we slept.

I took time to review my "rights" as a guest? Could I expect a refund on my Corpus Christy stay? After all, it was nothing like the pictures. Short answer? No. As guest, you are bound by the cancelation rules of the host. There is no one to complain to.

AirBNB seems modeled more for the host, not the guest. The guest has no representation. If the hosts location doesn't match whats advertised, tough nuts to the guest.

I will us AirBNB as a last resort. Hotel 6 has more to offer then an Air BNB of the same price.

What have you experianced?

I have had good stays the few times I have used it, places were exactly as advertised, One I stayed in in August I even got an email from the guy telling me that the AC units was not the greatest, and if I was a beer drinker he would leave a 6 of Shiner in the refrigerator as compensation. He would be out of town, and feel free to use the pool

I've stayed at probably 20 VRBO or AirBNB's (probably more VRBO, but I really couldn't say how many of each) in few countries and many states - mostly during work trip. Some have obviously been better than others, but I've never stayed in one that I wouldn't go back to.

> Hotel 6 has more to offer then an Air BNB of the same price.

For one-night stays, yes, cheap/clean motels are great. If I'm staying 2+ nights, VRBO/AirBNB's win every time for me.

My advice: be selective, and actually chat/type with the owner before booking. Get the address and see what's around it and within walking distance. It takes more effort than showing up and pulling into whatever model looks OK, but being in neighborhoods instead of commercial areas is quiet, comfortable, and very appealing to me.

Myself and 9 others rented an off-grid ranch near Jackson Hole through VRBO and while it was "okay" it certainly didn't match the expectations from what had been presented online. That was several years ago and I just looked and don't see it listed any longer. Here's a sat view of the place: https://goo.gl/maps/8rbQdXRnStoNk4XZ9

We generally use VRBO and not AirBNB because we don't want to risk being in a house with strangers. We've done our homework each time and had good experiences. The location and qualities of a VRBO in Munich was a big factor in the trip being a success. My wife did use AirBNB for a shopping trip with her friends to Sante Fe and that worked out well as they rented the entire house and not just a bedroom. We're fortunate that the wife has zillion Hilton points so we generally stay in a Homewood Suites. If I am going for a single room, it's going to be a hotel. If not it's sleep on the ground.

I follow a European travel forum and a lot of people blame AirBNB for ruining placed like Barcelona. The technology has made it possible for property owners to make more income than they would from standard rentals, so locals are often priced out of neighborhoods near sight seeing centers. I suspect that we will see controls put in place by the local cities and the technology providers like AirBNB and VRBO. Party houses have been a real problem in places like Miami beach.

I'm on the other side of ABNB/VRBO. I was the one renting our house. We let them take control of management of our beach house in Galveston. We told them we wanted small parties and no more than 4 cars in the driveway. Our neighbors sent us pics of over 35 people and 8 cars in the driveway and on the grass in front of the house and all the way down the street. Pics of kids and adults jumping off the railing and into the canal.
We didn't allow dogs and there are pics of Every rental having dogs and pee stains on the carpet.
After 2 months we pulled the house out of the rental market and will NEVER go this route again.

Sounds like both parties, hosts and guests are on a rollercoaster ride that can end in a crash.

I'm on the other side of ABNB/VRBO. I was the one renting our house. We let them take control of management of our beach house in Galveston. We told them we wanted small parties and no more than 4 cars in the driveway. Our neighbors sent us pics of over 35 people and 8 cars in the driveway and on the grass in front of the house and all the way down the street. Pics of kids and adults jumping off the railing and into the canal.
We didn't allow dogs and there are pics of Every rental having dogs and pee stains on the carpet.
After 2 months we pulled the house out of the rental market and will NEVER go this route again.

What did you contract state for over occupancy charges and security deposit? I would have kept it.

Back