• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AK 550

Dao

Reaction score
All new 53 HP 550cc liquid-cooled twin-cylinder ... tuned to suit both spirited adventure riding as well as pleasant touring

Engine.png

AK 550 features upside-down fork + dual disc Brembo caliper brakes.

Rear Suspension | Horizontal Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Tires-Front | 120/70-15

Tires-Rear | 160/60-15

chasis.png

Claimed Dry Weight | 462.9 lbs

Seat Height | 30.9″

Underseat Storage | Yes

Fuel Capacity | 3.9 gal

$9,399 MSRP*​

Seriously considering buying one? Will the AK 550 be a good Tmax 500 replacement or superior?

no, im not considering buying one until/unless my b400 starts acting up, but if i do change my mind, i'd take delivery of mine in Spartanburg, SC, their USA headquarters, which is a short 1.4 hrs away from Asheville & the BRP. I'd do a fly in, spend a week in Asheville and Robbinsville breaking her in riding it all over western NC ,and then head back home via gulf coast, pensacola, biloxi, new orleans, port arthur, galveston, austin. That's what a maxi scooter's all about,, imo.

Congrats on finding and buying one.
going from a 300cc xmax to a 550cc is going to feel mighty superb flying up and down i-35 :rider:

The scooter with an attitude is now officially home.
Been away for awhile due to some craziness at work. I missed the thread when it was posted. The picture piqued my curiosity. How's the new scooter working out? I really like the looks of it. Tell me more please.

I'm currently a little over 3k on the scoot.

The bad: My scoot developed a real slow and minor coolant drip from the water pump weep hole which hasn't been enough to stop me from riding; however, I made an appointment to get it fixed, under warranty, last week but after I dropped it off at the dealer one, only have two, of their techs got sick so hopefully this week I get it back. Gas mileage is in the low 50's so range is a little lower than I expected. The floor boards get crowded out at the rear by bulges for the powertrain so difficult to move feet to rear when moving around.

The good: Plenty of power! Pretty good ride which is nice since no suspension adjustments. I find the under seat storage a big positive. Heated grips, windscreen, seat all work for me and comfortable.

If you wish to know more, go to "Battle Scooters" in Advrider.com and you'll see several threads on the scoot. Also, my screen name is the same there. Hope this helps.

I'm currently a little over 3k on the scoot.

The bad: My scoot developed a real slow and minor coolant drip from the water pump weep hole which hasn't been enough to stop me from riding; however, I made an appointment to get it fixed, under warranty, last week but after I dropped it off at the dealer one, only have two, of their techs got sick so hopefully this week I get it back. Gas mileage is in the low 50's so range is a little lower than I expected. The floor boards get crowded out at the rear by bulges for the powertrain so difficult to move feet to rear when moving around.

The good: Plenty of power! Pretty good ride which is nice since no suspension adjustments. I find the under seat storage a big positive. Heated grips, windscreen, seat all work for me and comfortable.

If you wish to know more, go to "Battle Scooters" in Advrider.com and you'll see several threads on the scoot. Also, my screen name is the same there. Hope this helps.
Thanks man for the reply. I need to get back to Adv. It's been a crazy year and a half or so with my work and life. I've not followed this forum or Adv much at all. I wasn't doing much riding other than commuting which I did everyday. I'll look you up over there too. As I have said in other threads, the typical maxi-scooter thing in the US has been a missed market I think for the OEMs. With my beloved big Burgman being out of production now, I'm always interested in seeing what others are riding. I've traveled far and fast on it much to the chagrin of some other riders.
Much appreciated on the response.

I recently traded my AK for a KTM 390 Adventure and was asked to provide some feedback on why...

First, the AK is well designed machine which I enjoyed riding a little over 4k miles. I might have still owned it except I recently bought a Honda ADV150 which is light enough to haul on a single rail carrier behind my car. The AK would have exceeded weight limits. After owning the Honda, neat scooter I might add, owning the AK and the Honda seemed too much. Plus I missed riding dirt roads so when I was at TJ's and a deal was made to trade I traded. Nothing against the AK.

Biggest plusses on AK: power, suspension, and weather protection.

My biggest negative: Lack of range due to low mpg, 49 to 52 for me, and small gas tank. Also, a bit heavy but the CG is so low this isn't really an issue.

My two playing nicely in the garage.
tempImagejfeEmT.jpg

Missed this thread. It seems like a porkier TMax. If I didn't have a C650 Sport, I would consider one. Mine is a Kymco engine. Took my scooter out yesterday and saw tons of cycles since it was a nice. I passed a guy that had a custom HD Street Glide . He slowed me down as I exited the look at Cooper/I20. I passed him and he was looking at me like ***? As usual, some cyclists waved and some didn't. I like my F800GT too but the scooter is just a blast to ride.

Back