• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

All packed and ready - Bring on Colorado

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
James
Well I am packed and ready to go. The bike is loaded up and ready to take part in its first long road trip. My wife has already departed and is enjoying the cooler temps in Albuquerque NM. She will be spending time with family before driving down on Monday to take part in our sons first year college orientation at Texas Tech. Go Red Raiders!

She will then drive back to Albuquerque with our son on Wednesday. This will be the same day that I will depart on the big V to join them in NM. It looks like temps could easily be in the triple digits when I leave after work around noon on that day. I am trying to make it to Tucumcari NM to stay for the night. On Thursday my wife and kids will head up with her family to the beautiful town of Red River NM. I will be rolling in there on Thursday as well.

I will be posting everyday if possible. So stay tuned. I have included the big V in solo mode for touring and camping as well as the two up position.

Let's Ride

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436738259.718497.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436738269.672005.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436738279.087289.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436738293.097859.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good riding on your trip. I'll be following your posts. The Versys is on my list of "future motorcycles", interested in reading your take on how it performs.

Bring rain gear with you. We got dumped on from RR to our camp ground. It got as low as 45 degrees. Where are you going to in Colorado?

Bring rain gear with you. We got dumped on from RR to our camp ground. It got as low as 45 degrees. Where are you going to in Colorado?

We are staying in Red River from Thursday to Sunday of this week. then we are headed to Gunnison to camp. We are setting up camp there for the week but will be staying with friends in Granby on Tuesday night of next week and then to Evergreen for Wednesday night. Then to Pikes Peak and back to Gunnison. I see it has been raining a bunch. Hoping it stops next week. it will be fun no matter what.

Two year ago we stayed in Gunison camping and iy got down to the low 30's. My wife slept in her sleeping bag in full gear.. She is a trooper.

100_1144-L.jpg

908282268_pTsDF-O-L.jpg

[Admin edit: converted to link]
http://lonestarlobos.smugmug.com/Mo...de-Pete/i-WDWTjkJ/0/L/908021730_JrfKJ-O-L.jpg

Thanks for the heads up - we cant wait to ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
How cold does it get in Mid-July up there?

Even at the top of the mountains in Arkansas, it felt a good 10-15 cooler than down in the valley.

You look READY! Have a wonderful trip - you on the bike and wife and son as well. Looks like it's going to be a great time all the way around! I love Grand Lake - looking forward to a pic or two if you have time to roam around there :-)

So many good places to eat in Gunnison it is hard to decide where to go. We camped just outside of Gunnison in Almont by the Gunnison river.

How cold does it get in Mid-July up there?

Even at the top of the mountains in Arkansas, it felt a good 10-15 cooler than down in the valley.

Temps can be all over the place. Like Texas, it depends on the summer. 50-80 degrees in a day's time is pretty normal in 8000-ft locations. But 40s at night are fairly common in the summer, and we've seen night time temps pushing 30 degrees on occasion. From what I've seen, though, this is a pretty typical summer. So think 50-80ish.

And have fun. That Versys is going to be a total blast in the passes.

Subscribed, making my first trip next month(car only:(). See what I need to see! have a safe trip.

Yep, No feeling like the night before when the bike is ready to go, and then the next morning when you hit the road. Have a great trip. I haven't stayed in RR since I was a kid. I wonder if they still have the square-dances at the community center?

Cheers,
K

Mosquitoes were really bad in Durango and not as bad in Almont at night. Bring a citronella candle or spray or just swat them devils. They were all sold out of candles in Gunnison if that tells you something.

I saw upper 40s last week on the highway from Durango to Ouray. Light showers occasionally too. Construction delays just north of Ridgeway. Also on the highway from Montrose to Salida.

191 in AZ was awesome! I think I shifted gears more in 2 or 3 hours than I have since I've had the Connie.

The depression of coming home really set in once you get past Pueblo and don't see another tree for hundreds of miles.

Last edited:
I'm going to be buzzing all around you later this week. Gunnison on Wednesday... Headed to the Top of the Rockies rally for Thur and Fri. Salida on Saturday. Evergreen on Sunday. Then off to Montana and HQ around the north end of the parks next week.

I wonder if they still have the square-dances at the community center....
K

Square dances? Jeez how old are you?

What did Moby Dick look like as a minnow? How much were Cracker Jacks back then? I heard the prizes were Drivers Licenses in the old days....

:rofl:

Sorry... I couldn't resist... and yes I know paybacks are ****.

:mrgreen:

I'm going to be buzzing all around you later this week. Gunnison on Wednesday... Headed to the Top of the Rockies rally for Thur and Fri. Salida on Saturday. Evergreen on Sunday. Then off to Montana and HQ around the north end of the parks next week.

You retired guys suck! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
You retired guys suck! :mrgreen:

Somebody's gotta do it. We keep the economy humming.

Just look at the Retirees Pension place. All those accountants and clerks that are employed taking care of our piles of money. And the building maint. and janitors that keep our piles of money clean, cool, and dust free. And then the mail rooms that have to employ extra people when it comes time to mail us our monthly piles of money!

I'll even bet, in some round-about way, that our piles of money are somehow invested in where you work.

You should be in awe of us when we pass by, and think more reverently of us when posting in a "Why we ride all the time" thread.

:lol2:

(Jerry's not retired yet. He's just lucky to ride a lot like Rich)

Yes Jerry (me) is not retired! I wish I was I work too **** hard haha! They still have square dancing on Saturday nights at the club house in Red River. They also have a Saturday and Sunday afternoon shoutout in the square. I love that little town.

I have packed mosquito spray. We are staying at the Tall Texan in Gunnison. My wife likes it there as the bathroom and showers are top notch.

Yes Jerry (me) is not retired! I wish I was I work too **** hard haha! They still have square dancing on Saturday nights at the club house in Red River. They also have a Saturday and Sunday afternoon shoutout in the square. I love that little town.

I have packed mosquito spray. We are staying at the Tall Texan in Gunnison. My wife likes it there as the bathroom and showers are top notch.

Thanks might have to look into it the next time I am that direction.:rider:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437015226.373444.jpg

My trip has finally started. I left work early and was on the road around 11:30. It was only 85 degrees when I left so not too bad. It did climb later in the day as I saw the temp gauge record a 99. It was hot but not horrible. I am also getting some good gas mileage, almost 44 mpg. All at speeds of 70-80mph

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437015334.372999.jpg

I rode for an hour or so and took a break so I never really got very tired. I logged 430 miles today. The Versys was strong and seems to be getting better with every mile. She rolled over 7100 today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437015518.813630.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437015554.466040.jpg

I finished the day in Tucumcari New Mexico. Only the best for me as I spent a whooping $39 for my room. I'm all about fancy things lol... I will say the last hour of the day was WINDY! Tomorrow I will be up early and hit the road. I miss New Mexico, it will always be home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437015665.168508.jpg

Day 2 - A great day on the bike! Beautiful weather and even got a nice welcome to Mora NM

My first day on vacation and I was up at 5:30am. I could not sleep any longer. I knew twisty roads and cooler temps were in my future. I woke up from my $39 hotel room and walked down the hall to freshly brewed coffee. Hey for $39 what did you a expect a flatscreen and coffee maker? I would stay there again. Good clean and cheap room. If you are ever in Tucumcari and need a place to stay, try the Motel 6.

I jumped on the Versys to do the last 90 miles of slab for a few days. It was 55 degrees when I left. I actually had to stop and put in my liner. I arrived in Las Vegas for breakfast at Charlie's spic n span right at 8:15. Ordered me up a nice plate of huevos Rancheros with red chili. I could not eat it all but that red chili tasted devine. I took my time eating and relaxing. My family was coming in from Albuquerque and they would not be in Red River until later in the day. This allowed me to explore some of the awesome twisty roads this part of NM has to offer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437095723.035992.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437095740.327616.jpg

I could not wait any longer. I wanted to go "play" in the mountains. Just as I dropped into Mora NM I was greeted by the local welcoming committee. I was told that I was sight seeing at a pace above the limit and he wanted to give me a piece of paper so I could pay my fee for using his pretty roads. What a nice man. After that I took it easy or let's say easier up to the lodge at Sipapu. I had my mid morning protein bar on the patio overlooking the creek. It was a nice way to relax from my previously explained experience.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437095769.326411.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437095846.649516.jpg

A younger guy rode up on his 1098 Ducati and we chatted for a few minutes. He lived in Sante Fe and was headed home. I followed him along some roads I had forgotten about. Lots of fun tight stuff. He was fast but also smooth so it was a nice morning ride. We split and I headed up to ride the enchanted circle. I rode it backwards from my usual route. I Angel Fire and then Eagles nest. I meandered my way to Red River and parked at the cabins. No one was there so I went and got a late lunch. Red chili tortilla burger. As you can tell I like my red chili and try to get my fill while I am here.

The gang all got here about an hour later. We have just been catching up and enjoying extended family time. Yes the temps are amazing! I think the high was 78 today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437095876.246870.jpg

Not a bad way to spend the first day of our vacation

You can see more pics here: www.motoadrenaline.net

We are staying in Red River from Thursday to Sunday of this week. then we are headed to Gunnison to camp.

You should be having good weather - showers just short enough to cool you off before they (or you) move on.

Just a FYI in case you are cutting over to Gunnison on CO 114, yesterday (Thursday) they were in the process of laying down new chip seal along 5-6 miles of this excellent road between Gunnison and Saquache.

(After reading Tim and Drew's ride report, I just couldn't take it anymore and had to escape for a few days- sigh)

Enjoying your report. Have fun and try not to collect anymore tickets.

DFW Tom thanks for the heads up. We have been enjoying our family reunion weekend in Red River NM did not want to bore you all with family pictures. Jamie and I are headed out to Gunnison in the morning. We will send more pics tomorrow.

Back