• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

All that is shiny is not the gold in my teeth

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Blaschke
I nearly dropped my VFR at lunch today. I was turning from Memorial onto Shepard, going south. As I was turning, I noticed a line of something shiny spilled on the road, tried to turn a little more to avoid it and the next thing I know, my front wheel is sliding. About that time my rear wheel hits it and lets loose. I touched the ground and the front end came to the right , then the rear wheel fish tailed to the right going into what felt like it was going to be a high side. Closest I have ever felt to one anyway. Some how I saved it. When I turned right onto Kirby, trying not to lean the bike at all, the rear wheel fishtailed to the left. I think both my tires were coated in oil. When I got to my destination, Chuy's, I looked at my tires and they had dirt stuck to the oily places on the tires.

I was lucky. I made a bad decision. I probably should have stood the bike up instead of trying to cut it harder. By the time I got out to Far West Houston, the oil appears to have worn off of my tires.

I would have hated to get my HiViz Suit all dirty on the outside. I was not able to stop from soiling it on the inside...

Nice Catch!
Someone was looking over your shoulder...

I am glad to be home. On my way to Track practice, I decided to take I-10 as it is faster when there is no traffic. Plus I can use the HOV lane from HW 6 to Mason Road. When the HOV lane ended I started moving over to the right lane so I could exit at the Grand Parkway. I started to get in the right lane behind a pickup with a couple of large, double size would be my guess, matress boxes tied in the back. I don't know why, I decided to roll on the throttle a little and pull in front of him. Now I am coming from the far left lane, but out of the corner of my eye I see some movement. I jerk my head to the right just in time to the top of the two boxes fly up in the air and out of the back of the pickup. Whew, someone was looking out for me again.

Like they say, things usually happen in threes. I have no idea who says this, but I have heard it. After crossing FM 1093 heading south on Texas 99, the Grand Parkway, I decide to practice the throttle roll on method of cornering I learned at the LSTD. I also tried to relax my arms. I tend to be rather still on the VFR. While motoring though one of the few big sweeping turns, I had relaxed my arms to the point that I actually let up on the throttle. I come over a little hill and see to Ft. Bend County MC cops parked on the side of the road radaring people. My speed had dropped to an indicated 10 over. So I was probably doing 65 in a 60.

Knocking heavily on wood, today was definitely a lucky day. I think I will drive my truck tomorrow...

Shoulda bought a lottery ticket today, Chris. ;-)

Good to hear that you came through all of that unscathed. Some days you're the dog, other days you're the bone.

I didn't even think about the lottery. That would have been a good idea.
Alas, I know there are limited numbers of days like the past few in a year down here. I could not resist riding today.

Everybody be safe out there.

Yeah, get the riding in while you can - the weather in Houston is supposed to turn sour this entire weekend and into the first part of next week.

been there done that with a car coming across to boot!!!

last week on the way home from work, I was heading south on I-35w just before the Alta Mesa exit in rush hour traffic and I see a shiny streak coming across the lanes and think "OIL!!!!!!", I grab the clutch with the intentions of just coasting through it in a nice straight line but the moron in the lane to my right decided that was a good time to look straight ahead and come on over to my lane.
I go for the horn and this is the time it decides not to work, (fixed now) and have no choice but to try to evade and brake while in the oil streak.
I apply a tiny amount of rear brake and it instantly steps out to the right.
at this point I am thinking this is going to hurt, and quickly start calculating my options, at this point I manage to use body English to get back strait and start to put my foot out to kick the car coming at me when some traction returns.
I manage to apply just enough brakes to just barley clear the rear bumper of the encroaching car.

Like I said, everyone needs to be careful. Enjoy the beautiful weather, but keep an eye out for the unexpected. Trust your skills and your gut. Gut Feelings that is, not your spare tire....

Riding will gradually improve both of those.

Back