• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Alpine, Marfa, Ft. Davis, Terlingua, Lajitas, Presidio

Great pics. We were there the first week of December. Did y'all ride Pinto Canyon Rd?

We did not, but it's now on the "to do" list. Thanks!

We were also told about a gravel road ... Hiway 169 ... that travels the back country from just SW of Marfa to just east of Presidio.
Anyone know this road? We were told it was paved and groomed gravel.

Casa Piedra, north end paved, south end gravel. Comes out on 170 just west of the state park entrance.

Not a problem unless rain prior to traveling it.

Terlingua is a 9 hour ride from Houston on old 90 , 10 in the truck and really the bike is slower becaus of gas stops . There’s usally blue bonnets blooming in the divider strip in front of the teepees , you missed them

That’s probly a Jan 1 picture a few years ago .

We hit the Fort Davis and Scenic Loop parts as a day ride, usually every October. It's one of the funnest rides in West Texas for me:

Spent the night and rode home yesterday in 20-30 degree temps till I got to Weatherford and it jumped over 40.

WOW, 20° is indoor temps for me. So is 30. And Weatherford is a DARN LONG WAY to go in those temps. Seriously impressive, or seriously dangerous (is there really a difference?)

Glad you made it home OK ...

WOW, 20° is indoor temps for me. So is 30. And Weatherford is a DARN LONG WAY to go in those temps. Seriously impressive, or seriously dangerous (is there really a difference?)

The wondrous age of technology made it a non-scary trip home. The Thursday roads were dry except for the stretch from Midland to Big Spring.
Heated seats and grips on a new BMW RT and a heated jacket and nice Gortex winter gloves along with my Frogg Toggs rain suit covering it all up, kept me snug as a bug.
Only trouble was gas/potty stops.... felt like the Michelin Man or that Randy kid in Christmas Story!

My first 3 days in the BB area were as pretty as Mitch's but my photos aren't. So look at Mitch's shots and I'll say me too!

1581089153682.png

Made a quick trip out here. Weather was a bit chilly, but sunny and light winds.

There is a nice loop around Ft. Davis with lots of beautiful scenery and attractions.

Then to Study Butte, Lajitas, Presidio and Marfa. 170 along the Rio Grande is an epic ride.

Day 3 was going through the National park ... but its snowing. Just means well have to come back, sometime.

Good rides, good friends and good times.View attachment 253605View attachment 253606View attachment 253607View attachment 253608View attachment 253609View attachment 253610View attachment 253611

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What hotel did you stay in with the covered parking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed in the Hampton Inn on the west side of town. The Holiday Inn Express also has covered parking for bikes, and I seem to remember it’s up close to the building. Hampton’s is in the back of the lot, but both felt very secure.

Back