• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Always verify your security settings!

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I was surfing SmugMug galleries for Hurricane Harvey and Irma images as those are true 'boots on the ground' images from people either potentially or actually affected by these events.

I came across this gallery and my jaw about hit the floor. I'm all for documenting things and pushing images up to a safe site for the storage of the actual images. But one very important item was forgotten - SECURITY SETTINGS FOR PRIVACY.

There is little doubt this could adversely affect them from not only an identity theft situation, but an actual physical theft event as well. I'm talking names, DOB's, SSN's, service records, images of safes and firearms.

So take note folks - verify your security settings BEFORE you post things with this much personal information.

ps: if the above link doesn't work, it's probably because SM sent them a little 'note from a concerned photographer'. I pointed it out to them via an email as I had no way to contact the site owner, so I'm hoping SM does. If the link is bad, SM must have done it.

Geolocation in EXIF data is also an issue that people tend to ignore. I think some sites strip such information, but I am certain not all do.

I love SmugMug.

Just got an email from their Support Hero people and they said they'd make contact with her shortly with their recommendations. :zen:

Back