• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AMSA ride day

I was there from about 9:30 -3:45 burned almost a full tank of fuel so I spent most of my time riding. I had no issue all day yes there were some guys and ladies that could really haul the mail but you can either hear them or see them coming as there are lots of chances to see what is coming up behind you as the trail made lots of 90degree corners

It was a great day with near perfect traction so yes there were some guys really hauling the mail, I got passed many times with no issue ( I actually enjoy the fast guys
coming through as it gives me a chance to see how they take some lines) I came upon several slower groups, there were plenty of open areas to pass or you just slow
down and enjoy the ride until they have a safe chance to move over.

I stopped and helped one young man on a 65 that had a spill no one that pulled up behind us had an issue, and that little dude could haul the mail when we got him back up and rolling again.

Any time you have an open day you will have lots of different skill levels, I never encountered anyone that was riding faster than me that did not give me a rev or a shout so I knew they wanted by nor did I have anyone not let me by anytime I came up behind them when there was a safe place to let me slip by and I always shout a thanks as I go by.

I think a lot of what guys newer to single track don't understand is that that guy revving the bike or giving a shout behind you is being polite letting you know to let someone by that is quicker than you are to me being rude is someone stuffing you off line with no warning

I got passed a couple of times that I really enjoyed I mean how often do you get the chance to ride in the same zone (although for the briefest of moments) with ex AMA MX and Supercross star and now Rally Rider for Yamaha Andrew Short. The speed he carried on that 125 he was riding yesterday was flat out amazing. I could hear the mad hornet scream of that 125 coming from way off saw him coming with a head turn and gave him enough room to come by me and vaporize into the horizon.

But shortly later i caught back up to him as he was just cruising along behind a group as there was no room to pass, Yep and I will tell anyone that will listen that Andrew Short could not get away from me at Geortz :), that's my story and I am sticking to it

The issue with doing it like a track day is how do you determine someone's skill level at this type of ride day, my idea of me being a slower old guy is someone else's opinion of me being a fast old guy

Breaking it up for time slots like an MX practice day could work, I think having the loops that don't overlap would probably be best so a hard loop for the folks that want to rip and an easy loop for those that don't, issue is that is twice the work for the layout crew who are all volunteers and not every property has enough room to do that easily. The issue I see with that is it keeps the guys that are not as fast as the racers but fully able to get through and work on skills in the harder sections from having access to them

This is the main reason I've skipped these days.

I know I'm slow and I know the fast guys want to rip it up and I don't want to be in their way.
Jarrett come out to a day with us at Zars, you can ride with us on a loop to see the layout then decide if you want to ride on your own at your own pace or have someone ride with you. We have had guys do it both ways we dont ride any faster that the newest guy in the group when we have a guest rider with us

Shorty is just as amazing in the woods as on a Supercross track! Fun to watch.

Jarrett come out to a day with us at Zars, you can ride with us on a loop to see the layout then decide if you want to ride on your own at your own pace or have someone ride with you. We have had guys do it both ways we dont ride any faster that the newest guy in the group when we have a guest rider with us
I really appreciate the offer, but I don't have a dirt bike anymore at this point. Unless you think a 387 lb, 390 Adventure could get through there.

I really appreciate the offer, but I don't have a dirt bike anymore at this point. Unless you think a 387 lb, 390 Adventure could get through there.
I did not realize the 450 was gone, so I assume that is the KTM 390 based on those specs. I have no doubt it could get through there but the question is would it
be any fun to do so and I dont think it If I had just bought that style bike true singletrack would be what I am looking for.
That is a cool bike and woudl be fun on lots of local roads around the county and out in the hill country not the bike I would pick to haul the mail through
the woods on.

Now Rob just above has the perfect Zars- Hidden Falls-CTOR-Spoaks & AMSA Ride day bike for sale if you
are ready to add one more to the stable

I did not realize the 450 was gone, so I assume that is the KTM 390 based on those specs. I have no doubt it could get through there but the question is would it
be any fun to do so and I dont think it If I had just bought that style bike true singletrack would be what I am looking for.
That is a cool bike and woudl be fun on lots of local roads around the county and out in the hill country not the bike I would pick to haul the mail through
the woods on.

Now Rob just above has the perfect Zars- Hidden Falls-CTOR-Spoaks & AMSA Ride day bike for sale if you
are ready to add one more to the stable
And a steal to boot!

I spent some time on the 300cc version of this bike today as my good riding buddy Carl has a 300SEF Factory Edition and man that bike just really
works well such an impressive bike

I spent some time on the 300cc version of this bike today as my good riding buddy Carl has a 300SEF Factory Edition and man that bike just really
works well such an impressive bike
Spent the afternoon riding SHNF, and you're right, great bike! I was/am just looking for another fun ride, but in no hurry! This bike is a blast.

Back