• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

An all TWT meet up to see the Battleship Texas before she leaves? Update 3 (she will be closed Aug 25th)

I’ve got picture of it coming up the channel in the 80s after the last shipyard trip . A friend was dispatching harbor tugs and his office was at the tip of Morgan’s point , my pictures were from the deck around the dispatch station . Most of the harbor tug fleet was moving the Texas .

I’ve got picture of it coming up the channel in the 80s after the last shipyard trip . A friend was dispatching harbor tugs and his office was at the tip of Morgan’s point , my pictures were from the deck around the dispatch station . Most of the harbor tug fleet was moving the Texas .
That would've been really cool to see!

I'd be up for a trip down there when they go to move it. I'm sure it'd be quite a show.

I’m sure they will be much more careful taking it out , the hull was all freashly repaired and in the best shape it had been in in fifty years in mid 80s , another 35 years of rot and I can imagine there isn’t much in a whole lot of places . That boat should have been land locked right where it was setting years ago .

I’m sure they will be much more careful taking it out , the hull was all freashly repaired and in the best shape it had been in in fifty years in mid 80s , another 35 years of rot and I can imagine there isn’t much in a whole lot of places . That boat should have been land locked right where it was setting years ago .
Yeah. It's a real shame they didn't do that back then.

Hate to say it but that is the only permanent solution

Corpus Christi let the Nina Pinta and Santa Maria recreations gifts from Spain rot in the bay because they couldn't raise money for their upkeep

Corpus Christi let the Nina Pinta and Santa Maria recreations gifts from Spain rot in the bay because they couldn't raise money for their upkeep
That's a shame. I wonder if those are the same ones that were sailed along the coast, stopping in several places to let the public come aboard and tour. We were able to catch up to them in Freeport. What caught my attention was the dimunitive size of the ships; thinking about crossing the Atlantic Ocean on such a meager vessel. :shock:

As some updates on the mighty Battleship Texas:

The Foundation has been doing lots of work. besides removing lots of stuff from the Texas for offsite restoration, they have foamed various areas. This foam is easy to remove and will help the Texas as it is towed to a drydock.

The Foundation is still not saying where the Texas is going for repairs or where it will live when it returns. It will NOT be where it is now.

I dont know any insider info, I just keep up with what is released.

Just saw this:

Battleship Texas, a beloved Lone Star State landmark, will once again welcome visitors aboard -- well, temporarily at least.

By popular demand, the ship will briefly reopen Labor Day weekend, Sept. 4 and 5 from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Visitors will have access to the ship’s main deck, superstructure, and the Ward Room, where interactive historic exhibits will be displayed.

General admission is $10 for adults (ages 12 to 64) and $5 for children (ages 4 to11). Active military and seniors (ages 65+) can purchase tickets for $5.

Pre-purchased tickets may be required.

FYI Last I saw is that it will be moving after hurricane season late falk or early winter to drydock in LA for repairs.

Back