• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

An all TWT meet up to see the Battleship Texas before she leaves? Update 3 (she will be closed Aug 25th)

(THIS SPACE SAVED FOR UPDATES:......)

Update 1. 1st proposed date: Saturday September 21st.

_

How about we start to plan a get together ride to visit the Battleship Texas before she leaves the San Jacinto Battlefield forever and takes a perilous journey to a shipyard in Alabama or Florida? We could tour the mighty Texas and break bread somewhere.

They have changed her hours so they can prepare. She is only open Friday-Sunday 10-5.

While no specific plan has been anounced, sometime around the end of the year is when she will be moved.

She is the last Dreadought and only remaining Battleship that served in WWI and II. When commissioned in 1914, she was the most complex and powerful weapon in the world.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/battleship-texas

https://battleshiptexas.org/

View attachment 238701

The lone sentinel of San Jacinto

View attachment 238702

The fury of the 14 inch guns of the mighty Battleship Texas, the last Dreadnought delivers destruction and salvation upon Iwo Jima and Normandy.

View attachment 238703

art-flot-srazhenie-korabl-642.jpg
There seems to be a group rate for self guided tours

Word on the street is the Texas will be closed by September.

I believe it.

Of course this changes things. :(

Except for Sunday August 11th, no weekend date in August works for me. Of course this trip is bigger than me so I probably won’t get to go. (Insert curse words)

I am riding with this dude @maximus_flavius that weekend. He is cooking up some kind of ride, I really don't know but it will be good whatever it is......it might have something to do with the battleship or some war thingy. However, he cant camp because he is allergic to outside and MUST have room service. I, on the other hand, will be camping, cooking a steak and some corn and making fun of the indoor dude behind his back :eat::pirate::lol2:

Edit: this is also happening and I might have to succumb to the temptation.... https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/sep-20-22-glenwood-ar-adv-dual-sport-ride.121364/

Last edited:
Word on the street is the Texas will be closed by September.

I believe it.

Of course this changes things. :(

Except for Sunday August 11th, no weekend date in August works for me. Of course this trip is bigger than me so I probably won’t get to go. (Insert curse words)

Well dang, that’s a bring down.

& I’m tied up the weekend of Aug 11.

I talked to a guy that volunteers on the ship and they do not have an exact date yet....but it could be before our trip.

I am planing to go August 11th. I am not sure if I will ride. Of course, if this TWT trip can happen, I will also do that.

I also plan, and unless I am filming something, will, be there when they tow her away. That sounds like December.

How do they not have an exact date, seems like the folks in charge should know exactly when they need to spend all that money

I put the 21st on my calendar. I would be interested in meeting up with San Antonio area people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

August 25th is the last day. :( she will be closed to the public after that.

I still plan on going August 11th. I have not decided if I am going to ride or not.

I went to see the Mighty Texas today. She really will be closed starting August 25th. They still do not have a move date but some time in December is what they said. If I can, I will be there when they move her.

7C5F53F9-7D41-4FC2-95CC-6B670EBB792C.jpeg

181655B9-BFF3-485C-991C-1AF32460744B.jpeg

It may take too much time to take the Runaway Scrape route on Sat.
Just a bit of history, my great- great-great....... grandfather helped lead the women and children in the runaway scrape. His name was Alexander Hodge and he was 76 years old at the time. His sons names are listed at the monument as participating in the Texas Revolution. Unfortunately he died laer that year probably due to pneumonia he contracted during the flight. He also fought in the American Revolution with the Swamp Fox Francis Marion.

Maybe some should find out when it will move to drydock.. To see it be moved could be a good road trip..

Reactions: JMZ
It's been over a year and a half since I've been there, but the Monument Inn was still open and still serving very good food. Don't know how they fared through the wuflu.

Use to eat lunch at Beesaws cafe on Battleground road when I worked in the area. At the time they had a great lunch. The power plant that I worked at then was built on property that some of the battleground. Could go on top of the boiler and see the monument can not remember if you could see the battleship.

Back