• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

And you thought you saw Ducati carnage before... (demo day, AMS)

First Name
Bill
Alright, so some of the pics are below, and I'm working on adding the others here in a few.

Wow... what a day. This has been and will probably be my most memorable demo day in my life.

The day started out like any other demo day, cookouts, demo rides, chilling with buddies and talking bikes. I got to demo an 1198s and Ed demo'd a Mulit-strada 1100s. We were all just having a grand old time. And then it went downhill oh so quick.

We were standing outside when all of a sudden there was a loud crash just down the street, followed by screeching tires that were strangely enough, getting louder and closer very quickly. I looked up to see a car sliding out of control right towards a crowd of people and a gaggle (is that the right word even) of brand new Ducatis. Yeah, if you think worst case scenario, this is pretty darn close to it.

Anyway, people scream and attempt to scatter, and most make it out of the way. Two people didn't quite make it, but I do believe they will be okay. One guy was hit with something and was complaining of a stiff back or side, but other than that was unharmed. The lady that was hit, was no as lucky. The car struck an FJR and sent it airborne, and in the process, the top case struck her dead on, in the small of her back. Good and bad, because while the bike did this, it also shoved her clear of the rest of the chaos that was about to ensue.

I guess I need to shut up now and just start showing you all some pics.

Pics should be here.... but they are now at the bottom.

The 1098 got the brunt of the damage, the swingarm was snapped almost completely in two, the frame was bent up by the steering stem, the gauge cluster was destroyed, the carbon tail section was chewed up, the upper fairing support was broken off and actually impaled into the side case of the FJR, the clipons were snapped, and much much more.

The FJR came away must less damaged, but totaled still. The swingarm looked to be in decent condition, but would probably still need to be replaced, the plastic had some scratches on it, and a few parts and pieces were bent or busted, but I think that the 1098 kinda broke it's fall.

The 999s is fixable, and mosty it just got some scratches on the plastics. One clipon is bent, the clutch lever is gone, and the tail section has some scratches on it. But other than that, it's pretty good. It didn't take a hit from the car. It actually got pushed down by a Hypermotard that got shoved by the 1098. The motard just stayed upright, but got scooted enough to bump the 999.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics.:thumb:

Attachments

Egads man!!:eek2::eek2:
Marty is the son of a co-worker of mine, so I guess the water cooler talk will be VERY interesting on monday.

It makes me ill to see all that machinery torn up like that and more so to see that girl on the ground..
That could have been VERY bad.

Ummm.... I wonder what the insurance of the at fault person is gonna say when they get hit with probably close to 100 K in damages just from all the bikes and cars involved?

Ouchie!

First Name
Bill
More pics are here....

More pics below.....

Speaking of insurance. The driver of the truck did in fact have insurance. The funny part, it expired tomorrow........ so he was one day out from being uninsured.

I think we totaled up the bikes and it was right at 85 grand, plus the two vehicles, plus the injuries to the woman, and the driver of the car. Yeah, this was a dandy alright.

Attachments

How many circles did it take to get the 1098 to the back of the shop?

I guess they can be a testbed for the new ZTR ducatis..:rofl:

First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
Time was warped while all that was going on. The police measured 178' of skid mark from the impact point of the truck and car, to the first impact with the FJR. Towards the end of the skid the man did turn the wheels to try to miss the bikes. It all happened so fast.

I was standing between the FJR and 1098 when the WHUMPH sound followed by screeching happened behind me. I managed to get clear while a lot was going on around me. That gal that got hit by the FJR was within arms reach when she went down. I am glad that my friends were farther from the bikes and are all safe.

What a day.

Last edited:

pacman

Die with memories, not dreams.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Wayne
Meh, most of that'll buff right out.

On a serious note, I'm really glad everyone left the scene alive.

Gee Bill...first people spar, then bikes spar(sorta)... I think a little black cloud of violence follows you around. I am glad we went north instead. :P

Best wishes to the injured folks. Maybe they can afford a Duc soon eh?

First Name
John
Last Name
Collins
That is horrible. I'm glad nobody was injured worse. The owners of the trashed bikes looked to be taking the situation much more in stride than I would have.

Kim wanted me to point out that this wouldn't have happened at the Alvarado location.:rofl::doh:

Since the front of his truck is smashed, I'm guessing he rear ended the car. He must have hit hard to knock the car that far forward and two lanes over. Of course, I'm no CSI.

Wow, that's just insane! What happened between the car and truck to start all this? Who is the FJR owner, I don't recognize him? What a mess, I'm glad you weren't hurt Ed!

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
So how long is the driver of the truck going to be trying to get his head pulled out of that dark damp stinky place I am sure some one shoved it into when the dust settled?

First Name
Bill
Even more pics are here as well....

Still more pics below

Kim wanted me to point out that this wouldn't have happened at the Alvarado location.:rofl::doh:
Yep, the Alvarado location would have been all boring. I'm glad I went, I saw a once in a lifetime event (well, hopefully I never am that close to something like that again...)

Since the front of his truck is smashed, I'm guessing he rear ended the car. He must have hit hard to knock the car that far forward and two lanes over. Of course, I'm no CSI.
Close but no cigar. The truck was making a U-turn and pulled out in front of the car and just clipped him. But it was still a hard enough impact to set off both front airbags on the car. I do give the driver props for trying to steer an out of control car away from a crowd of people and bikes AFTER being popped in the face by an airbag. Was he going over the speed limit, I don't know. But if he was, I still don't think it was much faster than the normal flow of traffic for that street ( I worked on that street for 5 years, so I know it well.)

Who is the FJR owner, I don't recognize him?
His name is Jim and to the best of my knowledge he is not a member on here. He is actually a friend of mine that I knew from a couple years ago that just happened to be there. I didn't even recognize him until after chatting with him for a few minutes.:doh:

Attachments

Holy cow, I'm suddenly glad I didn't know about this!

Glad no one was hurt more than they were.

Hotboot

Forum Supporter
First Name
Larry
I hope everyone has underinsured motorist and the lady who was hit is going to be OK. That street is not a 50 mph 4 lane gang, all the businesses have similar parking and frontage there. This could have been slaughter if people were standing elsewhere, I see no fists or baseball bats but a certain driver needs to have their forehead placed up somewhere where the phone can't be heard. All those prime machines ......sinful.

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
:eek2:
Dang, I stopped watching TV when I saw the first picture.
Glad everyone is gonna be ok.
Wow.

First Name
Al
Last Name
Spencer
Woww - glad you are all OK & hope the lady is not seriously hurt:eek2:

BTW - ducs flock, guzzi's gaggle

First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
Dang what is this world coming too when motorcycles aren't even safe on the sidewalks.

Glad no one was hurt worse than they were, this could have been real bad.

First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Tschoepe
Wow.

Hope the lady heals up, and glad that no one else was hurt badly.

Especially the guy in the first picture, looks like his britches got dang near knocked off of him!

**** i left 15 minutes before the Accident, Marty even took a demo 1198 on the track the previous day just to leave the 1098R vergin for a few more days....

Sucks for the FJR and 999 too im glad the lady is Ok!:eek2:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
This :storm: is what has been following Bill around. It is the cloud of doom :lol2:

Wow, that's just insane! What happened between the car and truck to start all this? Who is the FJR owner, I don't recognize him? What a mess, I'm glad you weren't hurt Ed!
fjr chik - hi there it's me Frisco(Jim) - that used to be my FJR - met you at the bike show a couple of years ago when you were looking at the FJR

They poo-poo'ed my protests against riding in Dallas. I won't even drive my truck in Dallas. "I may work there, but I sure as H ain't riding in Dallas!" And this is what happens. :eek2:

It was a close call for many people hanging outside, as well as a long line of parked bikes. I dove for cover as Jim's luggage bags off his FJR (one with part of luggage rack still attached) flew next to me inside the opening. No time for thinking, just react!

I suspect the woman was taken to Parkland. Other than in shock, she may have sustained a leg injury. Her shoe, still tied, was by my feet about 50 feet away from where she lay. That gives another idea of the impact at the scene. It could have been a LOT worse.

Janet

Forum Supporter
First Name
Janet
I ride in Dallas all the time. I rode up to Parkland yesterday when I got back from the V-Strom ride. :eek2: It is really different. Exciting even, but those folks will kill you if you give them the chance.
Ft. Worth drivers will too, but it's a different concept there.

Glad to see the people came out out of this relatively well, the bikes not so much.

IIRC that is not a very wide divided road in front of AMS, what is it about Texans (or people in Texas) and them thinking they can U-Turn anywhere they please? It just amazes me in this thinking and I see it all the time, it isn't first time wrecks have been caused by an idiot making a U-turn where they shouldn't. This is something that I have seen down here more than anywhere else.

First Name
Bill
IIRC that is not a very wide divided road in front of AMS, what is it about Texans (or people in Texas) and them thinking they can U-Turn anywhere they please? It just amazes me in this thinking and I see it all the time, it isn't first time wrecks have been caused by an idiot making a U-turn where they shouldn't. This is something that I have seen down here more than anywhere else.
This is why I hate divided roadways much like the just did here on Cooper St. Leave a turn lane and let people turn where they need to. As soon as you take their options away, they are forced to make u-turns to try and get where they are going.

As for the truck, he didn't make an illegal u-turn. He merely failed to yield right of way. There isn't a no u-turn sign anywhere near there, and I've made plenty of U-turns there in my day because there isn't a direct turn in for AMS.

What's funny is that if there is a wreck in Fort Worth or somewhere else, it is just a rare tragedy and people move on. Yet if something happens in Dallas, people just say, "yeah, well that stuff happens in Dallas all the time." Wake up, it happens everywhere. Dallas doesn't hold the trademark on stupidity. I've been run off the road just as many times in Fort Worth, as I have in Dallas. I won't even get into how many times I should have been dead here in Arlington, the HEB area, North Dallas suburbs, or redneckville of Burleson (don't get your panties in a wad, I lived there for 20 years so I have more right than most to call it that).

First Name
Bill
fjr chik - hi there it's me Frisco(Jim) - that used to be my FJR - met you at the bike show a couple of years ago when you were looking at the FJR
Jim, welcome to the site buddy. I wish it were under better circumstances, but I'm just glad you weren't on the bike.

This is why I hate divided roadways much like the just did here on Cooper St. Leave a turn lane and let people turn where they need to. As soon as you take their options away, they are forced to make u-turns to try and get where they are going.

As for the truck, he didn't make an illegal u-turn. He merely failed to yield right of way. There isn't a no u-turn sign anywhere near there, and I've made plenty of U-turns there in my day because there isn't a direct turn in for AMS.
Well, it is just something I see down here more than anywhere else I have been, especially on undivided roads just pulling them wherever they feel and it has killed a few riders that I know of. Just a bit of a rant.

From the description of the accident, I bet that Chrysler was going way to fast and the pickup truck driver misjudged the speed. I am sure their insurance company lawyers will be spending quite a bit of time fighting over who was to blame. Hopefully they will take care of those who were hurt and bikes damaged without dragging it out.

First Name
Bill
I think it's the same old problem of people just not paying attention. It really doesn't matter if it's on a divided roadway or one with a turn lane. If people can't pay attention then the wrecks will always happen.

First Name
Jerry
Last Name
James
WOW.. bummer about the bikes, but it could have been a lot worse.. Glad everyone is okay! I thought I had an eventful Saturday:giveup:

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Sutherland
So this is what your video link was about last night Frisco.....haven't visited the site yet! Dang!!
Here is that very FJR nearly 4 years ago in better days...
IMG_4932.jpg

Hey DFW, thanks for the heads up over at RSWarrior. Haven't been there for about a week, and learned of this this a.m. So glad only one, I suppose minor injury. Hurt and saved by Frisco's FJR, my old trusty steed.
I was headed over to AMS yesterday about 3:00, but stopped instead at RPM bikes and testrode a new Aprilia DorsoDuro....gonna get one:rider:

Anywho, sorry about your FJR Jim! But hey, my red '07S4RS Monster we were talking about some 2 weeks ago.....interested???? There is always a silver lining........
IMG_11591.jpg

First Name
Rachel
"Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 45 (5 members and 40 guests)"

Wow. 40 Guests? I wonder what other forums are looking at this right now... :ponder:

Jim, welcome to the site buddy. I wish it were under better circumstances, but I'm just glad you weren't on the bike.
Thanks - I'm glad I wasn't either or eating my brat standing next to it like I was about 5 minutes earlier - it can be replaced - Centerline has nice S4R he is considering selling - given how I took 'care' of his FJR he might think about another buyer :rider:

Oh yeah, nice to remeet you! Man I'm so sorry about the Feej!! I didn't know you had Centerline's old bike. I hope you'll get another one! I'd wait to see what the 2010 FJR will be, should be interesting! Take care, I'm glad you weren't near your bike!

I was going to post this on the FJR forum last night but figured I'd wait to see if you or Ed wanted to the honors since it's not my story. I'm sure they'd like to read it.

Wow, that's pretty scary. Danceswithcurves and I were talking about showing up. Looks like it's a good thing I had to go into work yesterday. I hope everyone is doing ok.

First Name
Steve
It will be interesting to see how much of the damage is covered before the driver's liability insurance is exhausted. This is precisely why we need to resurrect debtor's prison!