• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

And you thought you saw Ducati carnage before... (demo day, AMS)

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Alright, so some of the pics are below, and I'm working on adding the others here in a few.

Wow... what a day. This has been and will probably be my most memorable demo day in my life.

The day started out like any other demo day, cookouts, demo rides, chilling with buddies and talking bikes. I got to demo an 1198s and Ed demo'd a Mulit-strada 1100s. We were all just having a grand old time. And then it went downhill oh so quick.

We were standing outside when all of a sudden there was a loud crash just down the street, followed by screeching tires that were strangely enough, getting louder and closer very quickly. I looked up to see a car sliding out of control right towards a crowd of people and a gaggle (is that the right word even) of brand new Ducatis. Yeah, if you think worst case scenario, this is pretty darn close to it.

Anyway, people scream and attempt to scatter, and most make it out of the way. Two people didn't quite make it, but I do believe they will be okay. One guy was hit with something and was complaining of a stiff back or side, but other than that was unharmed. The lady that was hit, was no as lucky. The car struck an FJR and sent it airborne, and in the process, the top case struck her dead on, in the small of her back. Good and bad, because while the bike did this, it also shoved her clear of the rest of the chaos that was about to ensue.

I guess I need to shut up now and just start showing you all some pics.

Pics should be here.... but they are now at the bottom.

The 1098 got the brunt of the damage, the swingarm was snapped almost completely in two, the frame was bent up by the steering stem, the gauge cluster was destroyed, the carbon tail section was chewed up, the upper fairing support was broken off and actually impaled into the side case of the FJR, the clipons were snapped, and much much more.

The FJR came away must less damaged, but totaled still. The swingarm looked to be in decent condition, but would probably still need to be replaced, the plastic had some scratches on it, and a few parts and pieces were bent or busted, but I think that the 1098 kinda broke it's fall.

The 999s is fixable, and mosty it just got some scratches on the plastics. One clipon is bent, the clutch lever is gone, and the tail section has some scratches on it. But other than that, it's pretty good. It didn't take a hit from the car. It actually got pushed down by a Hypermotard that got shoved by the 1098. The motard just stayed upright, but got scooted enough to bump the 999.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_3677.jpg
    IMG_3677.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_3694.jpg
    IMG_3694.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 499
Egads man!!:eek2::eek2:
Marty is the son of a co-worker of mine, so I guess the water cooler talk will be VERY interesting on monday.

It makes me ill to see all that machinery torn up like that and more so to see that girl on the ground..
That could have been VERY bad.

Ummm.... I wonder what the insurance of the at fault person is gonna say when they get hit with probably close to 100 K in damages just from all the bikes and cars involved?

Ouchie!

More pics are here....

More pics below.....

Speaking of insurance. The driver of the truck did in fact have insurance. The funny part, it expired tomorrow........ so he was one day out from being uninsured.

I think we totaled up the bikes and it was right at 85 grand, plus the two vehicles, plus the injuries to the woman, and the driver of the car. Yeah, this was a dandy alright.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 451
How many circles did it take to get the 1098 to the back of the shop?

I guess they can be a testbed for the new ZTR ducatis..:rofl:

Time was warped while all that was going on. The police measured 178' of skid mark from the impact point of the truck and car, to the first impact with the FJR. Towards the end of the skid the man did turn the wheels to try to miss the bikes. It all happened so fast.

I was standing between the FJR and 1098 when the WHUMPH sound followed by screeching happened behind me. I managed to get clear while a lot was going on around me. That gal that got hit by the FJR was within arms reach when she went down. I am glad that my friends were farther from the bikes and are all safe.

What a day.

Last edited:
Meh, most of that'll buff right out.

On a serious note, I'm really glad everyone left the scene alive.

Gee Bill...first people spar, then bikes spar(sorta)... I think a little black cloud of violence follows you around. I am glad we went north instead. :P

Best wishes to the injured folks. Maybe they can afford a Duc soon eh?

I allways dreamed of owning a Ducati with a salvage title. :rofl: Glad to see every one made it out ok.

That is horrible. I'm glad nobody was injured worse. The owners of the trashed bikes looked to be taking the situation much more in stride than I would have.

Kim wanted me to point out that this wouldn't have happened at the Alvarado location.:rofl::doh:

Since the front of his truck is smashed, I'm guessing he rear ended the car. He must have hit hard to knock the car that far forward and two lanes over. Of course, I'm no CSI.

Wow, that's just insane! What happened between the car and truck to start all this? Who is the FJR owner, I don't recognize him? What a mess, I'm glad you weren't hurt Ed!

So how long is the driver of the truck going to be trying to get his head pulled out of that dark damp stinky place I am sure some one shoved it into when the dust settled?

Even more pics are here as well....

Still more pics below

Kim wanted me to point out that this wouldn't have happened at the Alvarado location.:rofl::doh:

Yep, the Alvarado location would have been all boring. I'm glad I went, I saw a once in a lifetime event (well, hopefully I never am that close to something like that again...)

Since the front of his truck is smashed, I'm guessing he rear ended the car. He must have hit hard to knock the car that far forward and two lanes over. Of course, I'm no CSI.

Close but no cigar. The truck was making a U-turn and pulled out in front of the car and just clipped him. But it was still a hard enough impact to set off both front airbags on the car. I do give the driver props for trying to steer an out of control car away from a crowd of people and bikes AFTER being popped in the face by an airbag. Was he going over the speed limit, I don't know. But if he was, I still don't think it was much faster than the normal flow of traffic for that street ( I worked on that street for 5 years, so I know it well.)

Who is the FJR owner, I don't recognize him?
His name is Jim and to the best of my knowledge he is not a member on here. He is actually a friend of mine that I knew from a couple years ago that just happened to be there. I didn't even recognize him until after chatting with him for a few minutes.:doh:

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 367
Holy cow, I'm suddenly glad I didn't know about this!

Glad no one was hurt more than they were.

I hope everyone has underinsured motorist and the lady who was hit is going to be OK. That street is not a 50 mph 4 lane gang, all the businesses have similar parking and frontage there. This could have been slaughter if people were standing elsewhere, I see no fists or baseball bats but a certain driver needs to have their forehead placed up somewhere where the phone can't be heard. All those prime machines ......sinful.

:eek2:
Dang, I stopped watching TV when I saw the first picture.
Glad everyone is gonna be ok.
Wow.

Woww - glad you are all OK & hope the lady is not seriously hurt:eek2:

BTW - ducs flock, guzzi's gaggle

Dang what is this world coming too when motorcycles aren't even safe on the sidewalks.

Glad no one was hurt worse than they were, this could have been real bad.

Wow.

Hope the lady heals up, and glad that no one else was hurt badly.

Especially the guy in the first picture, looks like his britches got dang near knocked off of him!

Back