• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

And you thought you saw Ducati carnage before... (demo day, AMS)

**** i left 15 minutes before the Accident, Marty even took a demo 1198 on the track the previous day just to leave the 1098R vergin for a few more days....

Sucks for the FJR and 999 too im glad the lady is Ok!:eek2:

This :storm: is what has been following Bill around. It is the cloud of doom :lol2:

Wow, that's just insane! What happened between the car and truck to start all this? Who is the FJR owner, I don't recognize him? What a mess, I'm glad you weren't hurt Ed!

fjr chik - hi there it's me Frisco(Jim) - that used to be my FJR - met you at the bike show a couple of years ago when you were looking at the FJR

They poo-poo'ed my protests against riding in Dallas. I won't even drive my truck in Dallas. "I may work there, but I sure as H ain't riding in Dallas!" And this is what happens. :eek2:

It was a close call for many people hanging outside, as well as a long line of parked bikes. I dove for cover as Jim's luggage bags off his FJR (one with part of luggage rack still attached) flew next to me inside the opening. No time for thinking, just react!

I suspect the woman was taken to Parkland. Other than in shock, she may have sustained a leg injury. Her shoe, still tied, was by my feet about 50 feet away from where she lay. That gives another idea of the impact at the scene. It could have been a LOT worse.

I ride in Dallas all the time. I rode up to Parkland yesterday when I got back from the V-Strom ride. :eek2: It is really different. Exciting even, but those folks will kill you if you give them the chance.
Ft. Worth drivers will too, but it's a different concept there.

fjr chik - hi there it's me Frisco(Jim) - that used to be my FJR - met you at the bike show a couple of years ago when you were looking at the FJR

Sorry to hear about your loss, but at least you were not injured. Bikes are replaceable.

Glad to see the people came out out of this relatively well, the bikes not so much.

IIRC that is not a very wide divided road in front of AMS, what is it about Texans (or people in Texas) and them thinking they can U-Turn anywhere they please? It just amazes me in this thinking and I see it all the time, it isn't first time wrecks have been caused by an idiot making a U-turn where they shouldn't. This is something that I have seen down here more than anywhere else.

IIRC that is not a very wide divided road in front of AMS, what is it about Texans (or people in Texas) and them thinking they can U-Turn anywhere they please? It just amazes me in this thinking and I see it all the time, it isn't first time wrecks have been caused by an idiot making a U-turn where they shouldn't. This is something that I have seen down here more than anywhere else.

This is why I hate divided roadways much like the just did here on Cooper St. Leave a turn lane and let people turn where they need to. As soon as you take their options away, they are forced to make u-turns to try and get where they are going.

As for the truck, he didn't make an illegal u-turn. He merely failed to yield right of way. There isn't a no u-turn sign anywhere near there, and I've made plenty of U-turns there in my day because there isn't a direct turn in for AMS.

What's funny is that if there is a wreck in Fort Worth or somewhere else, it is just a rare tragedy and people move on. Yet if something happens in Dallas, people just say, "yeah, well that stuff happens in Dallas all the time." Wake up, it happens everywhere. Dallas doesn't hold the trademark on stupidity. I've been run off the road just as many times in Fort Worth, as I have in Dallas. I won't even get into how many times I should have been dead here in Arlington, the HEB area, North Dallas suburbs, or redneckville of Burleson (don't get your panties in a wad, I lived there for 20 years so I have more right than most to call it that).

Jim, welcome to the site buddy. I wish it were under better circumstances, but I'm just glad you weren't on the bike.

This is why I hate divided roadways much like the just did here on Cooper St. Leave a turn lane and let people turn where they need to. As soon as you take their options away, they are forced to make u-turns to try and get where they are going.

As for the truck, he didn't make an illegal u-turn. He merely failed to yield right of way. There isn't a no u-turn sign anywhere near there, and I've made plenty of U-turns there in my day because there isn't a direct turn in for AMS.
Well, it is just something I see down here more than anywhere else I have been, especially on undivided roads just pulling them wherever they feel and it has killed a few riders that I know of. Just a bit of a rant.

From the description of the accident, I bet that Chrysler was going way to fast and the pickup truck driver misjudged the speed. I am sure their insurance company lawyers will be spending quite a bit of time fighting over who was to blame. Hopefully they will take care of those who were hurt and bikes damaged without dragging it out.

I think it's the same old problem of people just not paying attention. It really doesn't matter if it's on a divided roadway or one with a turn lane. If people can't pay attention then the wrecks will always happen.

WOW.. bummer about the bikes, but it could have been a lot worse.. Glad everyone is okay! I thought I had an eventful Saturday:giveup:

So this is what your video link was about last night Frisco.....haven't visited the site yet! Dang!!
Here is that very FJR nearly 4 years ago in better days...
IMG_4932.jpg

Hey DFW, thanks for the heads up over at RSWarrior. Haven't been there for about a week, and learned of this this a.m. So glad only one, I suppose minor injury. Hurt and saved by Frisco's FJR, my old trusty steed.
I was headed over to AMS yesterday about 3:00, but stopped instead at RPM bikes and testrode a new Aprilia DorsoDuro....gonna get one:rider:

Anywho, sorry about your FJR Jim! But hey, my red '07S4RS Monster we were talking about some 2 weeks ago.....interested???? There is always a silver lining........
IMG_11591.jpg

"Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 45 (5 members and 40 guests)"

Wow. 40 Guests? I wonder what other forums are looking at this right now... :ponder:

Jim, welcome to the site buddy. I wish it were under better circumstances, but I'm just glad you weren't on the bike.

Thanks - I'm glad I wasn't either or eating my brat standing next to it like I was about 5 minutes earlier - it can be replaced - Centerline has nice S4R he is considering selling - given how I took 'care' of his FJR he might think about another buyer :rider:

Oh yeah, nice to remeet you! Man I'm so sorry about the Feej!! I didn't know you had Centerline's old bike. I hope you'll get another one! I'd wait to see what the 2010 FJR will be, should be interesting! Take care, I'm glad you weren't near your bike!

I was going to post this on the FJR forum last night but figured I'd wait to see if you or Ed wanted to the honors since it's not my story. I'm sure they'd like to read it.

Wow, that's pretty scary. Danceswithcurves and I were talking about showing up. Looks like it's a good thing I had to go into work yesterday. I hope everyone is doing ok.

"Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 45 (5 members and 40 guests)"

Wow. 40 Guests? I wonder what other forums are looking at this right now... :ponder:

It's now 2 members and 103 guests!

It will be interesting to see how much of the damage is covered before the driver's liability insurance is exhausted. This is precisely why we need to resurrect debtor's prison!

Back