• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ankle fusion or joint replacement, anybody had one?

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
After a no/mis diagnosis some years ago I put off looking further into an ankle problem I've had since about 2016. Anyhow, the bottom line after a recent doctor's visit is I'm lacking a lot of cartilage and my ankle is collapsing on itself to the outside. I have a process to go through (some of which I assume is to pacify the insurance company) before any surgery takes places prior to about June. Basically my choices come down to ankle fusion (one and done) or a new ankle with a life expectancy of about 10 years. Curious if anyone else has been through this or had someone they know go through this and any experiences they can share.

Last edited:
After a no/mis diagnosis some years ago I put off looking further into an ankle problem I've had since about 2016. Anyhow, the bottom line after the first visit is I'm lacking a lot of cartilage and my ankle and it's collapsing on it self to the outside. I have a process to go through (some of which I assume is to pacify the insurance company) before any surgery takes places before about June. Basically my choices come down to ankle fusion (one and done) or a new ankle with a life expectancy of about 10 years. Curious if anyone else has been through this or had someone they know go through this and any experiences they can share.
Sorry for your chronic ankle problem. I have no personal experience with the operative choices you are facing but I do have observational experience from my profession (now retired). Both choices should alleviate your chronic pain. Joint replacement preserves the majority of joint motion/function but some laxity (looseness) may develop over time. With joint fusion you lose up and down motion. Every case is different and not all outcomes will be the same. My advice would be to see the most competent Orthopedic Surgeon available who is doing the procedure you have selected on a frequent basis with good outcome.

No experience but fusion sounds like it might make it hard to ride the way you do.

Maybe not, I don't know. Just would hate to see you lose the ability to do what you enjoy so much. I'm sure you could still ride, but I'd hate to see a fused ankle limit you to a riding style you don't enjoy as much.

Wow sounds like no real good options. R or l ankle? Easier to brake with a fused ankle than up shift.
Seems like replacement right now would keep you more active than a fusion would for walking and riding. Not to mention the extra load a fusion would put on your knee, hip and back compensating for it.
Maybe talk to a chiropractor and a physical therapist to see what side effects each choice has.

I appreciate the responses. I believe by chance I found a good orthopedic surgeon. He knows motorsports and what we go through which is a big plus in my book. I'm just starting my overdue journey on this and trying to educate myself. They have me wearing New Balance 9 series shoes with...wait for it...wait for it, a Roll Bar in each shoe.

It's my right ankle so brake side on the bike and gas pedal in a car. From what I'm seeing now, I think replacement will be the best option for me. (Biggest concern is how long it will hold up) Just not sure how hitting little G-outs on the trail will affect it (hurts now). I'm sure stiff boots would be a plus. I expect to pretty much keep doing what I'm doing now, especially since I've slowed down some in recent years. Smelling the flowers a little more now. Of course the flowers seem really impressed with a little wheelie now and then.

Who knows, I might starting putting one of those rear brake levers below the clutch. I think I'd like that regardless of health issues. I see the doctor at the end of February for the next step.

I appreciate the responses. I believe by chance I found a good orthopedic surgeon. He knows motorsports and what we go through which is a big plus in my book. I'm just starting my overdue journey on this and trying to educate myself. They have me wearing New Balance 9 series shoes with...wait for it...wait for it, a Roll Bar in each shoe.

It's my right ankle so brake side on the bike and gas pedal in a car. From what I'm seeing now, I think replacement will be the best option for me. (Biggest concern is how long it will hold up) Just not sure how hitting little G-outs on the trail will affect it (hurts now). I'm sure stiff boots would be a plus. I expect to pretty much keep doing what I'm doing now, especially since I've slowed down some in recent years. Smelling the flowers a little more now. Of course the flowers seem really impressed with a little wheelie now and then.

Who knows, I might starting putting one of those rear brake levers below the clutch. I think I'd like that regardless of health issues. I see the doctor at the end of February for the next step.
Is it my age? The prayer list seems to get longer every day.
i can imagine the extra stress of riding hard is not good for that weak ankle.

Is it my age? The prayer list seems to get longer every day.
i can imagine the extra stress of riding hard is not good for that weak ankle.
No its my age Tim. It's been difficult occasionally, but overall not to bad. It's been more or less this way for 6 years. I might just stay with a brace but I'm hoping to retire in the next year or so. Would like to get it done while I have the company's insurance and about 12 weeks sick time plus some vacation to burn.

No its my age Tim. It's been difficult occasionally, but overall not to bad. It's been more or less this way for 6 years. I might just stay with a brace but I'm hoping to retire in the next year or so. Would like to get it done while I have the company's insurance and about 12 weeks sick time plus some vacation to burn.
Get it replaced now and when it wears out you can have medicare lay for the next one.

My dad had fusion following a crush injury from a car accident. It was an open fracture so he unfortunately had chronic bone infections that could not be cleared up and eventually lead to amputation. Not your situation at all as far as the open fracture/bone infection, but when he initially had the fusion done I think he would have had pretty good outcome with decent mobility had it not been for the complications. He wasn't a motorcycle rider, however, so I'm not sure how much a fusion would or would not effect riding. I'm sure there would be some compromises.

Were it my ankle, I'd go replacement. Total joints have progressed leaps and bounds since a 10 year life expectancy was the rule of thumb. I saw patients all the time in radiology who we going on 15 to 20 years on hips, knees, and ankles. I think doctors stick with that estimate to C their A.

I know a lot of the orthopods in the FTW/Burleson/Cleburne area, and was in the operating room with them a lot when I was still working in the hospital. Hit me up and if I know your doc I'll give you the low down.

I’ll be following along to see where this goes. I broke an ankle almost 30 years ago and they wanted to fuse it then. I searched out an orthopedic doctor that delt with only ankles and he helped me keep most of my mobility, but told me I would eventually need it fused. The prediction at the time was 20-25 years so I’ve exceeded the predictions but it definitely gives me more trouble as time marches on.

Back