• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

another bike that turns my head...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

I am a fan of Italian bikes, but have never ridden a Ducati. Every once in a while I look at what is new, and unusual. Well, this machine turns my head. Another one that checks all my boxes. No idea how the iconic twin actually performs, handles, etc. I suspect reliability has gone up over the years. Not inexpensive, and Ducati has the same bike in less expensive trim. Anyone at TWT own a Monster 1200? Any comments?

https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/monster/monster-1200-25-anniversario

Friend on mine owns a '15 M1200S and has toured with it. I've test ridden the watercooled 1200S when it first came out. The Testastretta 1200 is much more versatile engine compared to its predecessor, with the 1100 air-cooled Desmodue, which barely made 100HP and had a rather narrow powerband. A naked roadster with a peanut tank kinda limits its usefulness IMO, but it probably suits you just fine. Still, I just feel Ducati did too good of a job polishing all the rough edges out of the Monster Grande, which started out life as a parts-bin special with a 900SS front end, but everything else was value-oriented to keep cost low. Italian bikes are supposed to have at least some quirkiness. ;-)

To me, the 937cc SuperSport carries the Monster concept better than the M1200. It has enough power to make the rider interesting, but not too much. It is the only Ducati that interests me in their current lineup.

Don't own a Monster 1200 but a Monster is on my ultimate list. I fell in live with Ducati when I was making a couple post-purchase pre-registration repairs on my Ex's Duc ST2. In the garage wrapping it up I started that big Desmo in the middle of an empty garage and it thundered with a note that touched way down inside my soul šŸ˜šŸ˜ Rode pillion on that when I wasn't on my VTR250. Several years later on vacation to Italy had the chance to visit the Ducati museum and factory. It was awesome.

Anyway Duc fan, hopefully eventual owner. Top choice a Monster and Scramler Sixty2 a close 2nd.

I came very close to purchasing a Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled, Ducati is on top of their game right now - and even out Harley'ing Harley when it comes to the Scrambler. The only reason I opted for my V-Strom over the Scrambler, is that the upgrades for the 2019 Scrambler were a "must have" for me, but they weren't moving on the price, meanwhile I saved $4000 off MSRP out the door for my 2018 V-Strom.

I fully expect I'll be adding a 2019 Ducati to my garage in the next year or two.

I have always loved the Ducati bikes. The only ones I have ridden are a Monstrer 620 that I rebuilt the motor of for a friend. I also took a few spins on an old 900SS. Both were fun and of course sounded "Ducati-esque". The only knock I had on the Ducati was they are a bit overly snotty (dealers not owners) and you can't buy the factory service tools. Luckily there is a large aftermarket supply of said tools. That little air cooled Monster motor is a beautifully engineered little gem of a motor. It was fun. I hope you get one. I re-ignited my V-Twin lust with the Strom 1000, now I am going back to get a KTM LC-8 motor for the win!

Love my '09 1100S Multistrada. Sure, it's an air-cooled twin with no mapping and
And that's why I love it. She's the Last of the Analog Warriors, with ergos that fit my 5' 9" frame perfectly. The Ohlins absorb any surface, with Brembo's providing their legendary modulation.

Lets face it: you ain't gonna see many pre 2010 Multis on the road. Maybe for good reason, but it's a good enough reason for me.
IMG_0777.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I test rode a new 2018 Mulistrada and passed on it, those bikes are massive like the BMWs. The older Multistradas are perfect IMHO, not sure why they got so massive to compete with BMW - they should have stayed more nimble like the V-Strom.

I test rode a new 2018 Mulistrada and passed on it, those bikes are massive like the BMWs. The older Multistradas are perfect IMHO, not sure why they got so massive to compete with BMW - they should have stayed more nimble like the V-Strom.

My '09's dry weight is around 430. I can (and have) pick it up w/o assistance. No electronic gizmos or cruise control to disconnect me from the experience. Haven't missed it, either, even on 750+ mile interstate days. Although she (and I) stick to two lane blacktop whenever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back