• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another great experience at Motorcycles Unlimited

Reaction score
I called for prices on Michelin PR3s - pretty close to internet prices but with sales tax they were ~$40 higher. Not their fault but it's tough to compete when Revzilla gets tires to me in two days.

Where MU shines is service. They encouraged me to bring my internet tires in and for $15 each (off the bike), they mounted and balanced them in about 20 minutes!

Initially, it was going to be an hour and I was going to leave the tires overnight, but the tech (not Patrick, but appeared to be in charge, I forgot to ask his name) dropped the admin stuff he was working on and grabbed my wheels.

Great attitudes, happy to see customers carrying in wheels and tires, four or five techs all busy, current mags to browse - just a great vibe in a busy shop! They even gave me some guidance on replacing my own fork springs.

If I was not so anal about doing all my own maintenance, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my bike to MU for anything it needed.

Tom

I'm not surprised either.

I have purchased my last two sets of tires through them and carried in my wheels.
If I recall buying my tires through them and having them mounted was about the same as ordering them online and having someone charge me for mounting and balancing.

They do have great prices and customer service.

Thanks for the kind words.
I took a long overdue vacation this week, glad to know my crew to care of you!

Another +1 for Patrick and team. I took him my Concours "bike in a box" (actually multiple boxes) back in 2006 and he got me back riding again.

I wanted to give a public thanks to Patrick and his team that finished a job for me that I started and a promptly screwed up. I was trying to put in my front Ohlins shock on my GSA and I ended up rounding out the lower bolt torx head (it only slipped twice I promise officer!). Dad'gum that loctite stuff BMW uses is tough after not moving for 10 years.

So I called up Patrick and asked if you can tackle it, he said yes, and took it to him.

He kept me updated by phone calls and emails with pictures of the work being done (with out any prompting) which was nice and best of all the price was right!

Thank you Patrick and your Motorcycles Unlimited crew, I couldn't be happier with your service.

Last edited:
MU is one of the few places I trust to repair my stuff without worrying about them trying to screw me up or do a poor job. :clap:

Not the most convenient location for me, but after checking online prices for tires, I ended up buying from M.U. Their service is good.

I'm glad to see this thread get some life again. MU deserves all the positive vibes it receives. Great shop.

Wondering if Motorcycles Unlimited could do basic service on my Moto Guzzi and MV Agusta? I need to contact them.

Patrick,
Much thanks for a reply! My 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III is due for oil change, brake fluids and general inspection late summer. It is a long ride up to your shop from Sugar Land, but doable with traffic on a Saturday morning. Then I could leave the bike and UBER home and retrieve in a week. Parts are available from AF1 Racing in Austin, the only Guzzi dealer left in Texas. MV parts are available from Monkey Moto, the MV dealer in Dallas.

The MV has been owned since only last August, bought new also from Italian Superbikes. She can likely wait until 2020 for next service, if no problems. Both bikes had first, new bike service at Italian Superbikes, and recalls done.

I would think with the demise of our Houston Moto Guzzi and Aprilia dealer that Motorcycles Unlimited could pick up significant service work on these brands, and also MV. It is a lot more convenient to ride across Houston than ship or ride to Austin or Dallas. Patrick, I suggest you consider spreading the word in Houston you can maintain these three smaller Italian brands.

On a personal note I love both these bikes. I am decidedly not a mechanic at 65 years old. All I want to do is ride and not worry about a bike's mechanical issues. Fortunately, both bikes have been flawless and reliable. But, I know regular maintenance, by a competent mechanic, with the right parts is essential. I have considered selling or trading both bikes due to Italian Superbikes folding suddenly and unexpectedly last January. I am hopeful Patrick and crew can keep me running for many years.

Grazie!

I'm sure glad to come across this thread. Gulf Coast BMW sold me my last set of tires at about the going rate buit then charged $75.00 !!!!! EACH to mount and balance them, up from $50.00 each a couple of years earlier. I had brought the wheels in off the bike, but no price difference on the labor. A "never again" situation.

I'll try Motorcycles Unlimited the next time I need tires.

Any more good (or bad?) reviews? Particularly on BMWs and especially for rear wheel bearing / final drive repairs?

Edit: I just spoke with Patrick and they don't work on BMWs.

Last edited:
If Patrick worked on BMW's I would have purchased my dream GSA a long time ago. He is the only mechanic/shop in the city I trust with any bike.

One good thing is he keeps me from spending the money to buy the BMW :lol2:

Patrick and Crew at MU worked their annual magic on Jay's 2012 DL650 last week. Every year about a month before our long distance trip we take 1 bike at a time to MU and have them give them the once over in prep for the trip. This year Jay's bike needed triple tree work...fork seals and bushings. We don't have the patience or skills to tackle such complex mechanics. Let the experts handle that. Patrick also turned us on to Dunlop tires as a switch from the Michelin tires we've sworn by for years. Last year the Michelin Trail Road 5 (or whatever they call them) were kinda squirrely when we were in Nevada in a storm and cross-winds. Of all of the Michelins we had run on the bikes these were the ones I disliked and couldn't wait to get them off the bikes. I rode Jay's bike home (about 40 miles) and it rode like a new motorcycle. So far I'm a huge fan of the Dunlops. And dang....the front end handling is incredible.

Will report back after I pick-up my 2014 DL650 in a week or so.

Bottomline....I trust Patrick and team to do the right thing and take care of the bikes like they were their personal motorcycle.

Hey Duke, if you suspect it was assembled using Locktite (color doesn't matter) spray it down with brake clean, give it a bit to creep into the threads. Threaded inserts on the frame of a VTX were no problem after a couple of sprays of brake clean. Prior to applying the brake clean I used a five foot cheater pipe on a 3/4" brake over bar to no avail.
After a couple of squirts of brake clean, the battery powered Dewalt busted it loose with no strain. Indian trick #47.

Back