• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another Texas BBQ list

This might be blasphemy... but our local HEB superstore has a BBQ restaurant inside and their brisket is pretty darn good! It is better than most of the dedicated BBQ places in our area.
Every time we camp at the State Park, we go there. Their BBQ is surprisingly good. Better than a lot of places I've been to.

We are really jealous of that feature at the HEB there. Wishing we had it at our HEB. It would be the best BBQ in our town since Harris' BBQ (on Top 50 list) moved to Cedar Hill a few months back.

Well just had lunch at Ray's BBQ. Had to right ? The brisket is good. Can't say it's the best I ever had but it's good. Nice smoke ring, bark, and a good rub but not everly seasoned. Got the lean and it wasn't dry. I know fat is flavor but if you can turn out good lean brisket you're doing ok.
Turkey has a Cajun style rub and for me was salty. Sausage wasn't bad but had bits of peppers in it, I think jalapeno. I prefer a good meat and spice blend and smoke. Why they felt the need to lay huge slices of raw onions on the meat I have no clue.
If I was over that way again I'd definitely pick up some brisket. I didn't bother with sides.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Smoke Shack BBQ in San Antonio is good. Real good.
I liked Smoke Shack when I lived in SA. I just found their meat to be inconsistent. Some days it would be tender and full of flavor and some days it wouldn't. I feel the same way about Blacks BBQ in Lockhart.

Its often a good bit about the experience and the people you eat it with. Done ...

Yeah, I tried Ray's today too. Ray's doesn't even serve pulled pork! I know this is Texas, but from where I come from; If it's not pork, it's not barbeque. I had the pork ribs sandwich. It was good , but nothing to rave about. I will admit that the sauce was very good, but great barbeque should not require sauce.

Killins should be at the top at that list. No sauce required! (but it's worth tasting);-)
Randy

Yeah, I tried Ray's today too. Ray's doesn't even serve pulled pork! I know this is Texas, but from where I come from; If it's not pork, it's not barbeque. I had the pork ribs sandwich. It was good , but nothing to rave about. I will admit that the sauce was very good, but great barbeque should not require sauce.

Killins should be at the top at that list. No sauce required! (but it's worth tasting);-)
Randy

Being from the east I agree about pork. However, after many attempts to find excellent pulled pork and baby back ribs in TX I stopped trying and I focused on what they do best. BEEF anything !!
There was a place I hit in Spring called the BBQ cafe' that had decent dry rubbed pork ribs. Not baby backs though.

Do the baby back ribs come from baby calves? :)
Tell ya what, When I got the beef rib ( 1 ) at Black's BBQ and it hung off both ends of the cafeteria tray I swore they sold me a brontosaurus rib like Fred Flintstone used to eat ... Wow !!

Went to Thorndale Barbeque Friday 3-6-20 They had fired catfish for Lent. Man was it good and only about ten bucks. Ginger beer no likey.

Went to Ten 50 BBQ in Richardson Thur night for a biz mtg. Meh. Hipster cool. Expensive. Brisket sandwich was fatty. Marginal smoke ring. Good bread. Had to resort to sauce. Slaw was lame, even for vinegar slaw. Pickles were good. Not worth a pic.

Luling City Market in Houston. LOL. The original City Market in Luling doesn't make the list. Go home Martha Stewart you're drunk.

Went to Ten 50 BBQ in Richardson Thur night for a biz mtg. Meh. Hipster cool. Expensive. Brisket sandwich was fatty. Marginal smoke ring. Good bread. Had to resort to sauce. Slaw was lame, even for vinegar slaw. Pickles were good. Not worth a pic.
Yeah, that place sucks. It looks like it is going to be good when walking in, but major disappointment.

Worth it to drive down and hit Terry Black's or Pecan Lodge, imo.

I had mayonnaise slaw I like it over vinegar kind. I love potato salad .
Luling City Market in Houston. LOL. The original City Market in Luling doesn't make the list. Go home Martha Stewart you're drunk.
I would like to see Martha and Emeril in a food fight/ wrestling match. Steven Raichen of Primal Grill can bbq. Cooks Country does some bbq occasionally but it is not Texas style it's northeast New England style.

On the topic of "grocery store" BBQ, there's pretty great BBQ in the Whole Foods Mother Ship in Austin. Surprisingly reasonable prices as well, unlike a lot of the other products in store. But that's coming from an age when $20+ pound brisket is the norm....

Lors of superior BBQ here in TX. My experience is that some times your "best ever" you get one day is followed by "what happened" the next time you go to your favorite location. Consistency is tough for even the very best. I like to try every spot I find here in TX, famous or not, you never know when you will find the most awesome you ever had.

I had mayonnaise slaw I like it over vinegar kind. I love potato salad .

I would like to see Martha and Emeril in a food fight/ wrestling match. Steven Raichen of Primal Grill can bbq. Cooks Country does some bbq occasionally but it is not Texas style it's northeast New England style.
Mayo slaw and potato salad ...thumbs up !!
Here ya go... in layers, Layer of cornbread, big ol' pile of the meat of your choice chopped or pulled works best ( pulled pork is excellent for this ) bbq sauce over the meat then a mound of good sweet coleslaw on top.
Oh he!! yeah !

It's got a few names in the east such as Hillbilly Sundae

Back