• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another Texas BBQ list

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
The idea that any list has "the best" is specious to me since it is really "writer's favorites". But there are some unknown to me so I have more places to try.
Ride. Eat. Repeat.

[QUOTE They crazy.
Salt Lick 4?! Above Franklin's?
I call foul.
[/QUOTE]

"The best brisket of your life" might be a stretch based on some of the others on that list such as Franklin's, Snow's, Louie Mueller's.

It all looks good to me during my annual post holiday diet.

Of that bunch I'm pretty fond of Blacks in Luling. I'm going to try the two in Belton that are a block from each other as I pass that way a lot.

Out of the ones I've been too, I'd place it like this:

Franklin Barbecue – Austin
Pecan Lodge-Deep Ellum
Black’s Barbecue – Lockhart
Kreuz Market – Lockhart

Schoepf’s Bar-B-Q – Belton

The Salt Lick – Driftwood

Out of the ones I've been too, I'd place it like this:

Franklin Barbecue – Austin
Pecan Lodge-Deep Ellum
Black’s Barbecue – Lockhart
Kreuz Market – Lockhart

Schoepf’s Bar-B-Q – Belton

The Salt Lick – Driftwood

My tip for Salt Lick: get the turkey sandwich, it’s the best one I’ve had.

I want to try Putska's in Hutto. Anyone been there. I never heard of it till now. I am limited with most since I choose not to wait in lines to spend my money.

I'm glad LJ's in Brenham is on the list. Truth BBQ should be on the list IMO.

[QUOTE They crazy.
Salt Lick 4?! Above Franklin's?
I call foul.

"The best brisket of your life" might be a stretch based on some of the others on that list such as Franklin's, Snow's, Louie Mueller's.
[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you did with the quote up there, but oddly I received a notification on the forum that my post was quoted by you. Those clearly aren't my words and I hadn't even posted here. Forum strangeness.

I am not sure this list is rank ordered. But yes, if so, the ranks are a bit off. I prefer Valentina's Tex-Mex here in South Austin. Outstanding and worth a shot if you're over here.

This might be blasphemy... but our local HEB superstore has a BBQ restaurant inside and their brisket is pretty darn good! It is better than most of the dedicated BBQ places in our area.

The next best for us is C&Js over in College Station right on Hwy 30 and Harvey Rd. They have some of the best ribs I've ever had the pleasure of eating. Mallet Brothers BBQ in Iola is good as well, but they close early (2:00pm on Saturdays) so I have to get up early to get there in time for lunch.

There is a new place in Shiro right off the train tracks next to the post office. I've not tried it yet, but stopped in when I saw some DS bikes parked out front and the guys I spoke with said it was really good. It is on my list of places to try.

Missing off the list in my mind

Truth in Brenham only open until the Q is gone
Hays County BBQ in San Marcos
Stiles Switch BBQ in Austin
Vinceks Smokehouse in East Bernard
Old 300 BBQ in Blanco

I poke my nose in here all the time but don't say much. I live in MD but my girlfriend lives in Houston and we've got a few DR650's there. Ok that's me. Now about BBQ.
No one likes Killen's in Pearland ? I found the brisket better than Salt lick. Black's is definitely good. I had the beef ribs.
Blood Brother's is good. I remember the sausage and turkey but not the brisket although I'm told it's good.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Hey, you Centex guys should oughtta try Red Wagon BBQ in Elm Mott. It's part of the Homestead Heritage Center there north of Wacco. I believe they grow their own beef, grind their own wheat, bake their own bread, and built their own building with hand tools and square nails. I've only been there once, but it was pretty impressive as I recall. Oh, and they are only open Friday and Saturday.

This might be blasphemy... but our local HEB superstore has a BBQ restaurant inside and their brisket is pretty darn good! It is better than most of the dedicated BBQ places in our area.

The next best for us is C&Js over in College Station right on Hwy 30 and Harvey Rd. They have some of the best ribs I've ever had the pleasure of eating. Mallet Brothers BBQ in Iola is good as well, but they close early (2:00pm on Saturdays) so I have to get up early to get there in time for lunch.

There is a new place in Shiro right off the train tracks next to the post office. I've not tried it yet, but stopped in when I saw some DS bikes parked out front and the guys I spoke with said it was really good. It is on my list of places to try.
It dawned on me that I saw precooked Killen's briskets at HEB in the meat case. It's their rub and method but someone else smokes and vacuum packs it. I wonder if that's the brisket they're serving up at your HEB.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Hey, you Centex guys should oughtta try Red Wagon BBQ in Elm Mott. It's part of the Homestead Heritage Center there north of Wacco. I believe they grow their own beef, grind their own wheat, bake their own bread, and built their own building with hand tools and square nails. I've only been there once, but it was pretty impressive as I recall. Oh, and they are only open Friday and Saturday.
I travel through there all the time, besides anytime i can stop in Elm Mott I can shop at Munns KTM

"Lulin City Market" doesn't exist - it's Luling City Market. They have pretty good bbq (and you'll pay for it); but IMO, it is way down my list of best.

Reactions: JMZ
Back