• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any good Black Friday deals coming up?

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
While on my recent trip to Nepal, I found myself wishing I had more than just my iPhone for pics. I've got an old D40, and I'm thinking I'd like to jump into modern times and get a new camera.
My budget is going to be entry level, and I'm partial to Nikon, though I have no idea anymore what the entry level models are and how good they are.
The one feature that I want/need is an external mic input for shooting video.
So what do you guys think? What do I need, how much is it gonna cost, and are there any steals coming up this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason,

Guess the question is what do you foresee yourself shooting from a subject matter standpoint? I may be in the minority here, and that is ok, but I have taken to seeing my DSLR's as tools with each serving a different roll in my bag. Bear with me.... after having gone through multiple bodies to now having a kit that last me for a very long time, I have a pretty biased opinion on the matter.

Don't buy an entry level DSLR... thats right. Don't. You will end up spending more money in the long run. More so than you will by defining the type of shooting you want to end up doing, and then building out a quality kit with a plan towards an end. Your biggest expense will be the lenses to compliment the dslr body. You can easily spend 2 or 3 times the cost of the body on just 1 lens.

Instead I recommend a robust compact, specifically I recommend the Canon S120, (the s130 is rumored to appear soon). I carry this little camera with me on vacations up to mom's and well and has become a true "all rounder" for me. Does decent video and has has really nice optics and the lens system is the equivalent of a 24-120mm.

There are some other good P&S cameras that are out there, like the Sony RX100 II which is a sweet little camera by it specs and listening to the chatter on the internet. I haven't held one so I can't comment to a real life experience. But its sensor and I believe (don't quote me) is the same sensor found in the Nikon D7200.

So, this is just my opinion, and its written on the internet...... but I hope it helps you in your decision making process, good luck!

Last edited:
Well, I'm sure it'll see it's fair share of kids soccer games and the like. I also want to be able to take some creative pics of landscape and people when I'm backpacking and/or on mission trips.
I also want the ability to get a little creative when filming video. I do video at church from time to time, which is why I need external mic input.
For a P&S my iPhone does really well. Takes a quality shot, it's always on me, and boots up to camera mode in a flash. I'd like something just a little beyond that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best of both worlds?? Buy a used Nikon D5200 from Adorama or B&H and then get a nice used Panansonic Lumix PnS. I got a lil Lumix from Costco and dang, it takes very nice pics.

Saw Shoei x-12 on sale at Revzilla for $400.

If I was into high end helmets, I'd hop on that. For me, thats 2 Icon Airmadas :)

Well to go along with El Fenix, I was looking for some cool cycle accessory deals or guns deals Friday. Palmetto State Armory had a killa' sale last year.

Back