• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jarrett....most everythings paved in that circle...only a couple of unpaved roads here & there. Upper Sisterdale has a bit of gravel/rock & theres Sandy creek between Fburg & Llano. More unpavement up north of Llano toward Cherokee...& more in Mason Co.
West of Gillespie Co too...mostly Kimble Co...& a bit in Kerr away from Kville

Hedded north you needta stay west of 281 to find unpaved generally...but Lampasas toward Lometa has some pavement up to FM581

&....jus because theyre paved...dont sell em short...I was jus down near Lamp/Lometa Monday with Drew. We hit some unpaved sections ...LCR2200..2315 2275...
Slater Rd south of Gville normally paved is gravel rite now.
CR1204 off of FM3415 south of Lometa is also under const/gravel for a bit.

Again...hedded north ..most stuff east of 281 is gonna be paved up thru Lampasas & Coryell. San Saba Mills & Bosque unpaved mostly

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Rod, much appreciated.

I had a feeling it was mostly paved in there, but thought I'd check to be sure.

That makes it a little easier because I don't have to hunt out dirt roads and can just follow the nice paved ones in the area on the Butler map.

& the THC map also has dotted lines indicating the nonpaved stuff. Red & black...not sure what the color denotes...but mabe red for roads theyve ridden before...black for ones suggested by other riders.

Jarrett you get down this way shoot me a PM I will pull out the ZRX and show you some of my favorite local roads that are fun

i ended up "getting lost" in the area just East and South/East of Caynon Lake and had a blast. lots
of campers etc but a fun ride along a great river. that said, i'd love to ride w/ Budzrex!

Llano county road 315 is one of the better dirt roads in this area. 308 South of 310. 310 and Althaus-Davis are also scenic, but mostly paved. 308B is a dead end, but it is dirt and adds some additional miles. The scenery is nice in this area around Click.

There is a fun mixed dirt/paved route between Click and Junction.

Here are some more details if you are looking for a good route. The Butler map is good, but it is missing a few things and some of the roads are mislabled. See google maps.

There are low water crossings on 310 and 308/309 South of 310. The one on 310 (on the Butler map) is very long and can get really nasty depending on the water level. I dropped the CB500X here once without checking the conditions. Fortunately I had passed two jeeps as there isn't much traffic on these roads and they stopped and helped me pickup the bike. It was really bad. The one on 308/309 is short. You can avoid the one on 310 with the following route:

Take 310 West from 71. Turn left on 310A (South). This is also dirt and is a nice road. Turn right (West) on 3347. Turn right (North) on 309/308. Turn left (West) on 310. 308B is on the left and is dirt - you can do an out and back here or skip it. Then turn left on 315. 315 ends at 16. You can turn left (South) on 16 and do the Willow City Loop.

There are two unimproved crossings of Sandy Creek on 315. You can generally ignore the signs that say the crossing is closed and decide for yourself. I've never turned around. I have dropped my CB500X in those twice though. The WR is much easier. Difficulty depends on water level.

Last edited:
Those 2 natural crossings back to back on 315 are the ones I successfully crossed many many years ago (90s) while out exploring on my 91 VX800....
Man...I was struttn after that 2nd crossing.
(Like a crowin rooster) ahhh ..that wasnt so bad.
Then I turned onto 310....that looong narrow slimey slab had my name on it!
I limped the bike into Marble Falls for a piece o pie

The 310 crossing took me and my Tiger 800 down a few years ago. It was sooooo slick and long. I was alone and could not get the bike up. No grip for my boots. Like someone said, little to no traffic so I waited a bit then called my son to drive out to help me. A car came by 10 mins after that call and helped me. Haven’t been back there since and have avoided those types of crossings if I am alone.
But I am going to go back on these roads on the DRZ soon for the scenery and some dirt practice.

Last edited:
I've ridden the 310 low water crossing many times. Most of the year it is just wet concrete and steel and is not a big deal or there is no flow at all, but with specific flow conditions it turns into 10-20 yards of slime covered concrete.

Jarrett....most everythings paved in that circle...only a couple of unpaved roads here & there

You are very right. Looking at this new to me map:

I'm really surprised at just how few unpaved roads there are in this area:

1601327070071.png

Compared to my area:

1601327148000.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of private land / big ranches down in that area, so not many roads.

I thoroughly enjoyed Sisterdale.

Don't discount the little paved bits out West of Fredericksburg either. Watch for dips on the roads heading East to West as you get further from Fredricksburg if your bike is prone to bottoming.... I can't remember which it was but the KTM got some pretty serious air out there by complete accident.

Don't discount the little paved bits out West of Fredericksburg either. Watch for dips on the roads heading East to West as you get further from Fredricksburg if your bike is prone to bottoming.... I can't remember which it was but the KTM got some pretty serious air out there by complete accident.

Many years ago I blew the rear Ohlins on my 02 BMW R1150 GS on Willow City Loop in one such dip. At first I thought the high pitched squealing sound was coming from me because I had to squeeze the tank between my legs so hard to keep from going over the bars that I might have pulled something in a delicate place :wary: Then I realized later it was the sound of the oil blasting out past the seals :doh:

Cut Off Rd....short stretch...but man o man !....watch it

Yes, I really like riding down there despite the lack of dirt. Those small ranch roads are like nothing else I've ridden.

Chasing @MacDaddy through there on the last Strom-A-Thon was a blast. We were catching air over every cattle guard it seemed like.

I do wonder how much I would miss dirt roads if I moved down there though. Looks like there are some on the other side of 35.

1601378790930.png

That’s where I live. Pretty good roads to connect, but the better, longer ones are East towards Gonzales.

I have not ridden that area in about 15 years but the routes mentioned by Joshuaw were all good back in the day. Once on a county dirt road near Enchanted Rock I was arrested by a game warden for tresspassing. That county road meanders through private ranches and many of the property owners do not bother to post any signage that indicates you have entered private property. Apparently at that time it was not required by law according to the game warden. So just a heads up. I never encountered any problems on the other country roads 308, 309, or 315. On the Willow City loop I stopped once to help another rider pull his bike out of a ditch. He had a broken arm so I went back to town to get help and a trailer. When I returned a rancher had a rifle pointed at the injured rider. Those square heads are serious about property rights. I guess the moral of that story is stay in the road not the ditch.

Back