• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Houston area TWT members in the tree business?

k-dubya

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
KW ... or just Dub
A seemingly healthy oak tree just fell over in my pasture. No livestock were hurt, but it sure scared the wee out of a few.

The tree is too big for me and my Stihl. I need a pro.

Recommendations?
20220920_154855.jpg

20220920_154929.jpg

20220920_161643.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not an FB user ... just can't risk their flaky security policies.

Are you part of the FB bbq group?

Is that an oak tree. Just saw it was . Someone will cut it for the wood. I would have them pile up what they don't take on top of stump. If possible insurance or sign a not responsible for accidents.
If you were near I would cut some.
Especially with winter around the corner and bbq wood. Or do it on shares they take half and stack you half split
Sorry for your loss that's a beautiful tree.

Last edited:
Is that an oak tree. Just saw it was . Someone will cut it for the wood. I would have them pile up what they don't take on top of stump. If possible insurance or sign a not responsible for accidents.
If you were near I would cut some.
Especially with winter around the corner and bbq wood. Or do it on shares they take half and stack you half split
Sorry for your loss that's a beautiful tree.
Yes, it's an oak tree - one of my favorites on the farm <sigh>

If I can find someone to cut it, I'll definitely heed your 'not responsible' advice.

I'm just not plugged in to the mills, bbq fans, or other wood aficionados near Houston. Any pointers will really be appreciated.

Post on FB Texas Barbecue group and someone will probably cut it up and haul it off for you.
With all the "best-bbq-in-Texas-is-the-one-in-my-backyard" smokers here on this forum, I'm surprised there isn't a line of pickups already there.šŸ˜œ

ETA: you could also try checking if any of your neighbors want the firewood and will roll up their sleeves and help cut it up.

A few storms ago, I had a HUGE pecan tree blow over in my back yard. The going cost for tree removal at the time was $1,000! I was moaning about it at work, when a guy asked me what kind of tree it was. When I told him pecan, he said people love that wood for cooking. I put an ad on Craigslist that night: "Free. You cut/haul it, it's yours."
Couple days later guy calls me, shows up with pickup truck, and spends entire day limbing and hauling it away. That truck was so loaded, it was almost pulling a wheelie! I asked him if he had a restaurant, but he said no, just for his personal cooking. He proabably had enough for the rest of his life!
So now I was just left with about 10 ft tall of trunk, maybe 3' diameter, and I'm thinking that's gonna be a lot less to remove. Another day goes by, another call, guy/son show up in a pickup. They cut down the rest of the trunk, but doing latteral cuts. I asked if they cook, but they said no, they use if for furniture, clocks. Said the polished pecan is a beautiful wood. So now I'm thinking, dang! what kinda gold did I have here?! Anyway, paid another dude $50 to grind the stump, so guess I came out great after all. You might try the same, KW, and maybe get as lucky.

So now I'm thinking, dang! what kinda gold did I have here?!
You learned (the hard way) that depending upon the species, there's a lot of value in some trees. When we had a major windstorm out here two years ago there were a lot of trees cut down. When the road crews would clear the trees they would cut them into chunks and stack them on the curb. I then went and gathered up mesquite, eucalyptus, palo verde, oak, etc. When I talked about this on a woodturning forum I had a couple of members offer to buy the mesquite off me because it's difficult and expensive for them to get it back east.

One small batch.
IMG_20200730_191348.jpg

Back