• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any RG500 guys here? Intro post with pic

Reaction score
Hello,

Around 35 years ago I got a chance to ride a Gamma in farm country near Texas A&M. I’ve been on the lookout for that one or any other ever since. I was looking at a gentleman‘s 2013 Boxster as a courtesy service since I am a Classic Porsche technician. Normally we don’t like house calls, also it was a Friday and I wanted nothing more than to go home. But in a corner of the garage it sat, the original owner and I agreed on a price before I left. Behold…

A57D638F-AD1F-48D0-9BD0-B9165894A0CB.jpeg

2BC86EF6-C5FA-466E-ADE7-334F582E6F2D.jpeg

DF09D961-EDC6-4995-A9B7-A76FD9589CD0.jpeg

I have all the original bodywork and lights as well as many spare engine parts.

Runs on pure, uncut nostalgia….

Welcome.

Great looking machine. I don't know anything about those but it looks amazing for its vintage.

Very nice!!
I've never seen one painted like that. Looks much better than the factory two toned blue/white or red/white.

Never had a chance to ride one, but it has to be an awesome bike. Always been a big fan of 2 stokes and got to ride a Kawasaki triple back in the 70s; have been hooked ever since. The Gamma has infinity better handling than the old Kawasakis. Great find.

2013 Boxsters were made in 2012 so it‘s almost 10 years old so a neo-Classic perhaps. In fact we call all ICE powered cars classics due to coming electric power replacing those so called evil hydrocarbons. I am leaving the care of EVs to the younger guys here…

Concerning RGs, much has been said and is easily searched online so I’ll spare the rehashing. They weren’t a new technology bike in that everything had been seen before. The engine is a refined design that stretched back to the 60s. The full floater rear suspension was designed by an American kid back in the 70s (He won a lawsuit against Suzuki). The frame and swing arm while made from aluminum were basic and not especially rigid. They are like a Vespa scooter below 5000 rpm but really start to move from 7,000-10,500.

More later….

I used to have a couple and production raced them for a few years before racing professionally. Great bikes, but I always thought the Yamaha RZ500 looked much better, but the Suzuki handled better, had a better engine and brakes.. sold both of mine here in the USA, fond memories but don’t want another.. 😁

Been awhile but about to install these spare 0.5mm over cylinders, ported by Stan Stephens in 1991 and never installed….

These call for a 6,000 mile inspection and de-carbon. There was some stuck rings but piston to cylinder clearance measured to near new specs.

Also got some weight off my caboose to fit in me olde leathers….

Attachments

• IMG_8276.jpeg
    IMG_8276.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4560.jpeg
    IMG_4560.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 46
Hello,

Around 35 years ago I got a chance to ride a Gamma in farm country near Texas A&M. I’ve been on the lookout for that one or any other ever since. I was looking at a gentleman‘s 2013 Boxster as a courtesy service since I am a Classic Porsche technician. Normally we don’t like house calls, also it was a Friday and I wanted nothing more than to go home. But in a corner of the garage it sat, the original owner and I agreed on a price before I left. Behold…

View attachment 304797

View attachment 304800

View attachment 304798

I have all the original bodywork and lights as well as many spare engine parts.

Runs on pure, uncut nostalgia….

oh wow that's my dream. Congrats and post a video.

Back