• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Scooter Riders Around Here

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Zanner
I recently downsized to a Yamaha XMax and curious if others have done such or just ride scooters. So far, and taking it easy for break-in, the 300cc engine is surprising me.
tempImageaVfYlT.jpg

Scooters are da bomb. I have owned a couple Burgmans, a couple TMax's, and currently a C650 Sport.
Have fun.

When I went from standard motorcycle to scooter I went the other way. Biggest standard motorcycle I had owned was a 450. First scooter was a 650.

I have been following the scooter cannon ball ride from Bar Harbor to Eureka. Going cross country on a scooter isn't for a light weight rider. Those people are hard core scooter riders.

I have a friend doing the Cannon Ball run. He's on a Honda PCX. The "race" is limited to 280cc scooters. According to the web site, Patrick finished 16th out of nearly 100 entries. He was riding with a buddy on identical bikes and his friend finished just ahead of him. Points are scored by finish for the day as well as bonus points for going off course to bonus sites. Percentage points are added for the type of bike one rides. Example: a twenty year old bike would get more points than the same bike that was new. Patrick and his friend bought their scooters about a month before the ride started and used a chase truck to carry supplies. Some riders provided their own chase "truck" by pulling trailers. Averaging over 400 miles per day must have been tough, but some riders went well above that by going to several bonus locations every day.

I've been really enjoying my recently un-basketcased Vino 125 for the past week. It's a great change of pace. But I don't really see much point in a scooter that's a whole lot bigger than this one, not considering what I really like about the Vino. 220lb weight is a big deal. 75mpg too. For intra-neighborhood trips, the Vino is hard to beat. It is a beast on mailbox runs.

I have a friend doing the Cannon Ball run. He's on a Honda PCX. The "race" is limited to 280cc scooters. According to the web site, Patrick finished 16th out of nearly 100 entries. He was riding with a buddy on identical bikes and his friend finished just ahead of him. Points are scored by finish for the day as well as bonus points for going off course to bonus sites. Percentage points are added for the type of bike one rides. Example: a twenty year old bike would get more points than the same bike that was new. Patrick and his friend bought their scooters about a month before the ride started and used a chase truck to carry supplies. Some riders provided their own chase "truck" by pulling trailers. Averaging over 400 miles per day must have been tough, but some riders went well above that by going to several bonus locations every day.
That is so cool. Good for them.

Went from a KTM SMT 990 to a Burgman 650. The dexterity in my ankles made shifting and braking laborious and tiring so a scooter seemed like the next step in my riding evolution. The Husaburg 570 in my avatar hasn't been touched in years but I can't seem to part with it. I really enjoy riding that big fat scooter. Plenty of power, comfort, and wind protection that it just doesn't wear me down.

I remember chasing you around once in the forest when you had that KTM 530. I use the term "chasing" loosely because I never really saw you. :lol2:
Yep I remember. Hate that it has to sit!

Steve good to see your still getting some riding in. I also remember that 570 and I have to agree with Rob that it is one sweet ride. I’m never sure of my fascination with 500-600 class thumpers. They just make me smile.

you don't believe me, huh?
look at my bikes...that 570's still as clean as the day i got it.:lol2::lol2::lol2:
20210526-114834.jpg

..even my wife's rusted out bicycle got more seat time than my 570.

before i get back on it,
i need to find me some training wheels.

So, my wife has claimed my scooter and now we are on the hunt for a msf class she can take on a scooter. I know it's possible, but the outfit that did my msf no longer does scooters. Anyone know of one in central TX that still has scooters?

The MSF riding class nearby UT Austin has scooters in their line up.
They do drills at the bowling alley parking lot across the street from McCallum High School.

She found one at Electric Avenue. Their class is at the Triangle which is obviously near UT but looks like they are over at Lamar & 183 parking lot for the range. I'll check the UT area one, giving another option. She wants to be able to reserve use of a scooter for the class, so we'll see how that works out.

Yea the ut austin area is the mecca for scooters.
I remember back when TJ cycles was located in town, about 2 miles north of UT (across from the driver's license bldg), he sold a gazillion kymco buddy scooters all day long to college co-eds. $1999

Back