• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any thoughts or experience with these tires ?

Mark_M

Reaction score
I was looking for some white walls for my bike the Vulcan Nomad but couldn't find too many choices for front and rear. The OEM Dunlop tire makes only a whitewall front and not the rear in the size I need so I looked and looked and I came across these
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-777-white-wall-cruiser-tires Shinko 777 whitewall cruiser tires.
The reviews seem decent but they are really inexpensive and that kind of scares me because I don't want to put substandard tires specially on a bike. I know I am
probably being paranoid about this and should just go ahead and get them but how can I without consulting my entire support team here on TWT :deal:
So if you have had any experience with this brand of tire please do chime in and give me your experience with it with, durability , safety and what kind of mileage to expect approx. of course depends on riding and many other factors I know.
So thank you in advance.

I can't speak for their other tires (i.e. the 777 you're looking at) but I've used multiple sets of 705 adventure tires and have had good success with them. I have one friend who puts them on all five of his bikes and has sworn by them for ten years now. There were all sorts of rumors about quality when Shinko started popping up everywhere, but the truth is they're an old-line bicycle tire company who simply bought out Yokohama's motorcycle tire technology & molds, & took over that part of their business. I currently have a Shinko front tire on my VStrom, and no complaints. It's maybe not quite as good as the Metzelers I've often used, but it costs about half as much. Most importantly, I've never had any sort of safety issue with one, nor have any of my friends who use them regularly.

Just looking through the user reviews from the Revzilla link you posted, I'm actually pretty impressed by the ratings. If you look at a similar premium brand tire, I'll bet you'll find about the same percentage of bad reviews.

I can't speak for their other tires (i.e. the 777 you're looking at) but I've used multiple sets of 705 adventure tires and have had good success with them. I have one friend who puts them on all five of his bikes and has sworn by them for ten years now. There were all sorts of rumors about quality when Shinko started popping up everywhere, but the truth is they're an old-line bicycle tire company who simply bought out Yokohama's motorcycle tire technology & molds, & took over that part of their business. I currently have a Shinko front tire on my VStrom, and no complaints. It's maybe not quite as good as the Metzelers I've often used, but it costs about half as much. Most importantly, I've never had any sort of safety issue with one, nor have any of my friends who use them regularly.

Just looking through the user reviews from the Revzilla link you posted, I'm actually pretty impressed by the ratings. If you look at a similar premium brand tire, I'll bet you'll find about the same percentage of bad reviews.
Thanks for the info [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I recently installed the 777 on the BMW after much thoughtful consideration. The LT is overweight for the spec tire size so a special reinforced sidewall tire is required. There are not many choices of tires available for LT riders but the Shinko is one of them. So far, so good. I find it rides very smooth, balanced well and has decent grip. Treadlife for this tire on the LT is reported in the lower-average among the different brands so that should be a consideration if you are paying for installation. The tire may cost less but if you pay $50 or more for installation, a longer wearing tire will be a better value.

I recently installed the 777 on the BMW after much thoughtful consideration. The LT is overweight for the spec tire size so a special reinforced sidewall tire is required. There are not many choices of tires available for LT riders but the Shinko is one of them. So far, so good. I find it rides very smooth, balanced well and has decent grip. Treadlife for this tire on the LT is reported in the lower-average among the different brands so that should be a consideration if you are paying for installation. The tire may cost less but if you pay $50 or more for installation, a longer wearing tire will be a better value.
Thanks for sharing.

Frank at Monkey Wrench will do it for $25 if you take just the wheel & tire over. It's a bit of a drive from Los Colinas, but might be worth it.

Frank at Monkey Wrench will do it for $25 if you take just the wheel & tire over. It's a bit of a drive from Los Colinas, but might be worth it.
Thanks for the info. Do you know how much he would charge to take it off the bike and install the tires ?

I don't know anything about the 777 but when my OEM tires wore out on the my Bandit, I went to the Shinko 009 Raven specifically because of the price. I probably had 5-6 set of them on the bike, I was commuting, what can I say. The last set I had on the Bandit was about 5 years ago, the front tire developed a bubble and scared the mess out of me. I switched to Michelins then and could not have been happier. All the $ that I thought that I was saving didn't amount to that much. And the Michelins feel sooo much better.

It's about what you can live with, the Shinko's scared me and I won't go back. But who's to say the Michelin PR2 won't do the same thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much he would charge to take it off the bike and install the tires ?

Not for sure. At least $50, I'd think. You can contact him through TWT & ask him. His screen name is Monkey Wrench Cycles.

Back