• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anybody on here into 3D printing?

Warrior, that's super cool, but you have to factor in your design time and cost into that part as well. I'm sure that adds a few more bucks to the cost! ;-)

Funny enough, I was just looking into getting a small part for my car 3D printed somewhere. I imagine I'll be able to find a shop locally to do it fairly economically.
I hear that all the time especially when it comes to reloading. Truth is, if I spend 30 minutes designing it at home instead of watching TV or playing on the internet, then it really isn’t a cost. If anything it is a positive in that every part I design and print is a learning experience. I’m certainly no expert in this so I’m assuming for a long time I will be learning each time I design and print.

I bought a Sovol Sv-06 a couple months ago and I’ve been doing fun little projects and learning to design in fusion360. I did find a wheel balancer adapter for my r1200gs rear wheel. It works great and only cost $1.20 to make in plastic. If I get enough use out of this printer I might try a resin printer next.

Attachments

• B4FD70FE-78A7-4AE6-9279-1D0877B34F11.jpeg
    B4FD70FE-78A7-4AE6-9279-1D0877B34F11.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 42449DF0-FD60-47E2-A2E8-34A62C800862.jpeg
    42449DF0-FD60-47E2-A2E8-34A62C800862.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 35
that's cool. Did you print the threads, or cut them?

I found a mount on Etsy that allows you to attach a GoPro to an ordinary, threaded broomstick. I ordered one, but the threads are not quite right, and I can barely get about three turns out of it before it gets in a bind. How hard would it be to duplicate such a thing, but with better threads?

GoPro mop mount.png

I found a mount on Etsy that allows you to attach a GoPro to an ordinary, threaded broomstick. I ordered one, but the threads are not quite right, and I can barely get about three turns out of it before it gets in a bind. How hard would it be to duplicate such a thing, but with better threads?

View attachment 346195
I would design it a little differently if it were me. I'd either slot a nut in through the side or do a heat melt brass insert. Want me to draw you something up over the next few days?

Yep, that would be a definite upgrade; so you could screw right into it for the GoPro case. Hey man, only if you're realy bored, but yeah, that would be cool! Thanks.

Yep, that would be a definite upgrade; so you could screw right into it for the GoPro case. Hey man, only if you're realy bored, but yeah, that would be cool! Thanks.
Doing the threaded insert would be the best option for longevity. A GoPro mount for my helmet is the next print project.

Done. :) Now here is the rub. I don't currently own any of the 1/4" inserts for this stuff yet. I've got these added to my shopping cart for the next time I shop at Amazon though, as 1/4"-20 is a pretty common thing so why not have some?

I modeled this mount off of an existing one I have here made by GoPro, or at least sold by GoPro. What it doesn't have is the little molded inset area to keep the nut from spinning where you mount the GoPro. That would not print well without supports and then those supports would be a whoopin' to try and remove. Thoughts?

1681352799413.png

Attachments

• 1681351931396.png
    1681351931396.png
    51 KB · Views: 33
Wait a minute... you said broomstick.... like as in an actual broomstick!?!?! Man, I thought that was some sweet photographer slang for tripod, but looking at the original photo, that has to be that size to fit on a literal broomstick! LOL

Alright, in that case, a brass insert isn't going to work. It would, but no one would want to pay for it. :) Plastic threads would be the way to go, and in this case with them being coarse enough, I would just tighten and loosen it a bunch to see if you can ream the threads a little bit to get them to fit.

I did do some looking last night when it comes to the thread pitch of broomsticks and it appears that there is little to no standard among them. Some are a 7/8 ACME thread and others are all sorts of other kinds of threads.

View attachment 346195
Try reslicing the green part but like 1% larger. If that doesn't work try it at 2%, etc, etc.

Getting threads that fit is a challenge because every printer is very slightly different. Yours may be extruding the edges of the threads a bit too large.

Basically things like this usually come down to printer/slicer tuning and not that it's a bad design.

I did do some looking last night when it comes to the thread pitch of broomsticks and it appears that there is little to no standard among them. Some are a 7/8 ACME thread and others are all sorts of other kinds of threads.
I think you're right; there seems to be a lot of different thread patterns. I bought an adjustabe length stick that's normally for attaching a paint roller, but now see it's indeed a different thread than the broom stick. Ah well, I'll figure something out, but thanks for the help :chug:

Try reslicing the green part but like 1% larger. If that doesn't work try it at 2%, etc, etc.

Getting threads that fit is a challenge because every printer is very slightly different. Yours may be extruding the edges of the threads a bit too large.

Basically things like this usually come down to printer/slicer tuning and not that it's a bad design.
Oh, I have neither. This is an already made piece I purchased off Etsy.

Gotcha. You may be able to gently heat the green part and then force the broomstick into it. PLA becomes soft way before it melts. Do some research on this because it'll be easy to "overcook it"! lol

Back