• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anybody own a F800 GSA, 990 ADV, or 1190 ADV R in the DFW area?

Reaction score
Ladies and Genitals -

after selling my beloved DR650, I'm currently in the market for my next ADV bike. I've got it narrowed down to the BMW F800 GS (ADV), KTM 990 ADV, and KTM 1190 ADV R. After countless hours of researching and crunching numbers, I'd really like to ride each of these bikes, even if its just a quick ride. If any of you who are in the DFW area and own one of these platforms would be so kind to let me ride yours, we could swap (with my Triumph Street Triple 675) for a few miles. This would really help me decide, and I'd even buy you tacos or a couple of gallons of gas.

Purrty please? :pray::wave:

Yes, Brian owns a F800GSA, he does not post up that often but can be seen at Friday Night Ice Cream

I have a 2015 1190 Adventure R that you're welcome to take a ride on. I'm in Highland Village by Lake Lewisville.

I'm kinda surprised not to see the Africa Twin on your list. I know it's not one if the KTMs, but it's certainly similar to the F800. Might want to consider it. There's good deals to be had on them.

I'm kinda surprised not to see the Africa Twin on your list. I know it's not one if the KTMs, but it's certainly similar to the F800. Might want to consider it. There's good deals to be had on them.
From the AT I rode I would put ahead of my 800 performance wise. I like the 800, it's been great to me and good around around bike. But think the AT is a little better performing, I mean it's got more HP, always a good thing, lol.

The Africa Twin was on my original list, it just didn't make it into the top 3. There are some phenomenal ADV bikes on the market these days, so it wasn't easy to narrow it down to these, but for me the KTM models have the greatest allure.

Thanks to all who messaged me. I ended up picking up an 1190R as my new ADV bike, and am hoping to pair that with a 690R soon.

Thinking a Tiger 800XC would compliment that Street Triple pretty well! Good luck with search.

The 850 is a very much improved platform over the F800. Just food for thought.

Thinking a Tiger 800XC would compliment that Street Triple pretty well! Good luck with search.

The 850 is a very much improved platform over the F800. Just food for thought.
I love the triple engine, but the 1190R felt so deliciously raw that it was impossible to resist. I'm still looking to add a lightweight platform as well, but I'm pretty set on a 690R for that category (at least for now).

Congratulations. Bike looks great. I like the look of the upper crash bars.

Last edited:
Try the new Dunlop Trailmax Missions when you swap tires. I put some on my Tiger and was amazed how well they do on and off road.

I just mounted a new set of MotoZ Adventure GPS tires. I've been running the TKC80's but was getting no miles out of them before they were trash and as I don't do any serious dirt on the 1190 I needed something a little more road oriented and longer lasting.

I just mounted a new set of MotoZ Adventure GPS tires. I've been running the TKC80's but was getting no miles out of them before they were trash and as I don't do any serious dirt on the 1190 I needed something a little more road oriented and longer lasting.
For my DR650 there was no better ADV tire than the Shinko 705. I've ridden them aggressively through the Sierra Madre plenty of times, and they performed just fine on gravel or dirt. I wonder how they would handle the extra weight and power of the big bike. The 1190R currently has TKC70s on it, but I'm leaning toward Mitas E-07 for the next set. Let me know how you like the MotoZ GPS tires.

Back