• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone Ride an Africa Twin Two Up?

Reaction score
I need a better bike to haul in the back of my pickup being towed behind my motor home. My Triumph Trophy is a big, comfortable bike, but I need something easier to load and unload and dirt road capable. It has to be able to carry me and the Mrs. for three or four hours at a time fairly comfortably. Anyone have experience like that?

I've never ridden mine two up, but I can't imagine trying to get my AT into the bed of my truck. It's a heavy, top heavy sucker at 500+ lbs.

I have put a KLR and NC700X in the bed of my truck and they are much easier to load in and out than an AT, but they were still a pain.

Wow, just looked up a Triumph Trophy, I'm sure the AT would be much easier to load than that :)

I've never ridden mine two up, but I can't imagine trying to get my AT into the bed of my truck. It's a heavy, top heavy sucker at 500+ lbs.

I have put a KLR and NC700X in the bed of my truck and they are much easier to load in and out than an AT, but they were still a pain.

It's all relative. The Trophy weighs close to 700 lbs.

Just get a good set of ramps (long ones), I load my V-strom 650 in the my truck with know problem and it over 500 pounds with all the iron hanging on it.

Aaron

What sort of ramp system do you use to easily handle 500+ lb bikes?

And does the ramp fit into the bed with the bike?

I carry two 7' long ramps, but I don't normally have to use them. Since the bike is in the bed of the truck, I can usually find a bike shop with a ramp out back and just use that to unload it. I've also used slightly raised sidewalks to reduce the height difference. The big problem I have with the Trophy is the lack of ground clearance and the fairing that interferes with tie down straps. I'd also like to explore some dirt roads this summer since we're spending Juy-October in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.

I need a better bike to haul in the back of my pickup being towed behind my motor home. My Triumph Trophy is a big, comfortable bike, but I need something easier to load and unload and dirt road capable. It has to be able to carry me and the Mrs. for three or four hours at a time fairly comfortably. Anyone have experience like that?

I knew someone who had one said it’s tight on the knees of the passenger on long rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dumped a pile of dirt that I back up to to load at home. Just ride it in. But I know that is at home. I have pulled to behind shopping centers to use their ramps for loading and unloading, but have to have a truck driver. High Street curbs like drainage cut the angle of ramps .

I knew someone who had one said it’s tight on the knees of the passenger on long rides

Hi Mudslick. That may have been me that said that. Tailwind Becky rode on the back of mine. Knee angle made her knees hurt like crazy. Could just be a one-off situation as I have spoke to other folks who ride the AT 2-up without problem. Decent bike otherwise although I no longer have mine.

I use a tri-fold ramp for 4 wheelers, it will handle the weight, and plenty wide for me to stand on beside the bike, I usually ride up, but coming down I walk beside it, and finding a ditch helps a lot.

So, I'm looking at Triumph Tiger 800s and the Africa Twin. I found an Africa Twin at a really low price, but like the features of the Tiger 800 Xrx a lot. I had a 2011 Tiger XC for a few years and it was a great bike. The Triumph has more features, much lower weight and almost the same horsepower out of 200 cc less displacement.

So, I'm looking at Triumph Tiger 800s and the Africa Twin. I found an Africa Twin at a really low price,
Is that my bike? :)

Hi Mudslick. That may have been me that said that. Tailwind Becky rode on the back of mine. Knee angle made her knees hurt like crazy. Could just be a one-off situation as I have spoke to other folks who ride the AT 2-up without problem. Decent bike otherwise although I no longer have mine.

Yep it was you I mentioned stranger

The Triumph is a sporty bike, but will usually require more maintenece.

So, I'm looking at Triumph Tiger 800s and the Africa Twin. I found an Africa Twin at a really low price, but like the features of the Tiger 800 Xrx a lot. I had a 2011 Tiger XC for a few years and it was a great bike. The Triumph has more features, much lower weight and almost the same horsepower out of 200 cc less displacement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-055208_TikTok.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-055208_TikTok.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 181

I've done it a few times. We now have a Goldwing... Honestly it may just be that we're both a bit broken. She was ok, if not super comfy on the back, but I ended up with back and arm pain pretty quickly.

I use a bifold 6' long 4' wide ATV ramp and ride the bike up. Helps when you can give a spot that gets the tailgate closer to the ground, but I've done it in flat ground too.

I've done it a few times. We now have a Goldwing... Honestly it may just be that we're both a bit broken. She was ok, if not super comfy on the back, but I ended up with back and arm pain pretty quickly.

I use a bifold 6' long 4' wide ATV ramp and ride the bike up. Helps when you can give a spot that gets the tailgate closer to the ground, but I've done it in flat ground too.
We had a wing for about 8 years, but Katherine doesn't ride with me as much as she used to. I had a V-Strom and it was the perfect bike for traveling. Light enough to get in the truck easily, good enough for a few hours of two up riding and enough oomph to be interesting. I'd still have it if that **** deer hadn't run into me!

I'm actually leaning toward a Triumph Tiger 900 now, but the Africa Twin is still an option.

I loaded a 475 lb V-Strom using a pair of ATV ramps rated for 1500 lbs for the pair. I drove the bike up one ramp while walking up the other.

I've used these ramps that belong to a buddy to load my 790 in the back of my truck and he used them to load his Harley Ultra Classic. You get on your bike and walk it up the ramp using the clutch to creep it up. Easy Peasy!

We had a wing for about 8 years, but Katherine doesn't ride with me as much as she used to. I had a V-Strom and it was the perfect bike for traveling. Light enough to get in the truck easily, good enough for a few hours of two up riding and enough oomph to be interesting. I'd still have it if that **** deer hadn't run into me!

I'm actually leaning toward a Triumph Tiger 900 now, but the Africa Twin is still an option.

I had a first gen Vstrom 1000. It had a problem with the fairing producing lift. Still probably my favorite motorcycle engine, but the rest of the bike let it down. The Africa Twin is better in nearly every way.

Back