• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone riding with waterproof 5.11 boots?

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
My Bates Gore-tex are done. Last time I wore them, they leaked (I think from the bottom since I've re-glued them 2-3X already).
There is a 5.11 storefront nearby in Webster and there are several 'waterproof' boots in their lineup, but they are not Gore-tex.
I am wary of anything not Gore-tex claiming waterproof. I've tried other boots making the claim but they failed the bathtub test right out of the box.

If you are riding with waterproof 5.11, please share your experience with them including how long you've had them, how well they are holding up and how well they've done riding through Texas rainstorms. Thanks.

I had a pair of 5.11 gore tex boots for work(when I bought them, they had goretex offerings), seams split at 6 weeks(which they chose not to warranty). At 6 months they were unwearable.

Plus once they soaked through the first time, the waterproofing was all but gone

I had a pair of 5.11 gore tex boots for work(when I bought them, they had goretex offerings), seams split at 6 weeks(which they chose not to warranty). At 6 months they were unwearable.

Plus once they soaked through the first time, the waterproofing was all but gone
Whoa! Definitely not a good experience. Do they not have a warranty?

Whoa! Definitely not a good experience. Do they not have a warranty?
They do, but they said the seams splitting was from abuse! Which is BS.

I work in land surveying. I basically just hike through brush and hills. It's not like I'm doing work that is super hard on boots

I have a water proof pair and have hiked in them through creeks etc with no leakage. I bought them for those rides.... The dry pair have a lot more general use hiking, walking, riding, on them for about 18 months, and they are standing up fine.

I've worn 5.11's exclusively as a cop the last 13 years. I've found them extremely comfortable for what they are and get a out 2 and a half years of use out of them. The waterproof ones I've had held up fine during Hurricane Ike. I've since gone back to other offerings from 5.11 for more breathability.

Other guys have tried them and I've found they hold up better for lighter guys (I range from 160-170). My 200# plus buddies wear them out quickly, but they also wear out Bates and Oakley boots quickly.

Back