• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: Anyone still doing the ETX 450 Dual Sport ride?

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
So I've been away from the TWT forum and the running of the East TX 450 for quite a few years after the last event I helped organize in 2013, which sadly was a rain out Sh@t show less than 100 miles in. Although I/We had fun, it was a brutal day. I had invited and dragged along several of my old HS friends who were rookies and had never been on any of the rides I had been doing every year since 2011. I really talked it up and after this short stretch of "dirt" road that took all of us the better part of two hours to get through, most of those guys wouldn't return my calls for a while.

Since that eventful weekend, one of my closest friends and fellow riders, won his class while racing up Pikes Peak and the sadly left this world litteraly the day after his elderly mother died. I subsequently got involved and helped crew a couple teams in 2014, 2015 and 2016 race to the clouds in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with both the vintage class and middle weight class wins each year. My wife and I completely remodeled our 65 year old home and I've moved my 5000 sqft motorcycle workshop more times in the last 5 years than I care to admit. So to say I've been too preoccupied to ride my XR440 around the block let alone a 450 mile 2 day event is the understatement of the last five minutes.

But as we are finally getting caught up and back in the full swing, I find myself longing for a day trip, or even a 2-1/2 day trip. My new workshop is in the SE Conroe area off 1314 just on the South side of Creighton Rd. If anyone is currently living or working in the area and wants to come by and catch up, by all means, just hit me up first. I'm hiding in the back of my property and I'll have to give you instructions on how to get here but anyway... I'm here just about every day during the week.

I'd love to catch up with everyone I rode with those 3 years and put the feelers out there to see if anyone would like to discuss a possible 2020 running of this fun event... I'm sure a few guys would come down from the north side to meet us halfway... I'm even open to a whole new route if necessary.

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask... I Look forward to hearing from anyone interested, old or new... Talk soon, Travis.

Later, Travis.

I would love to ride with you. My life is chaotic, but set a date and I'll try as hard as I can to make it.

I still have my plated XR440, but I've accumulated about 30 more bikes in the last 7 years and I have a few options that are getting finished up this year including a 78 R80/7 (R100RS motor) Dakar race replica and a 2000 DRZ440E. I'm trying to get a few friends interested in joining if we run the 2 day loop, but I also may try to do an Ironman one day loop. I've always wanted to do it fast after the second time I rode it in 2012 on my buddies KTM500.

Hey Travis was looking back at some old threads about a month ago wondering where some of the old participants of the 450 had gone. Some are still around. Glad to hear your still around and working on bikes. Hopefully see you out sometime.

Hey Travis was looking back at some old threads about a month ago wondering where some of the old participants of the 450 had gone. Some are still around. Glad to hear your still around and working on bikes. Hopefully see you out sometime.
The old buzzard sitting on the antique KLR up on the hill is still around. :rider:

I like the way your thinking. It's way past time to revive this ride. Count me in.

I am going to say this though, if we collectively decide to once again do the ETX 450 ride this year, I can't be responsible for organizing it. I'm still a little busy and have a full plate of current work, not to mention some of my own much needed bike maintenance. I started looking over the XR440 and saw some things I don't like and may need to pull it apart, completely apart which will eat some time.

Anyway after I searched for prior threads I see where you guys have tried to keep this one alive the last few years. So lets at least keep the convo going.

Several of us are interested in doing this and I REALLY like the idea of doing it with a "brisk" pace.

I am going to say this though, if we collectively decide to once again do the ETX 450 ride this year, I can't be responsible for organizing it. I'm still a little busy and have a full plate of current work, not to mention some of my own much needed bike maintenance. I started looking over the XR440 and saw some things I don't like and may need to pull it apart, completely apart which will eat some time.

Anyway after I searched for prior threads I see where you guys have tried to keep this one alive the last few years. So lets at least keep the convo going.

LOL, know exactly what you mean. I won't be available for anything until maybe second half of April, but weather should be great by then :thumb:. I posted some fresh routes here if you guys want to go ride it:

Be sure to post up a report though!

That would be good camping weather so breaking it up as a two day trip with an overnight stop somewhere on Lake Sam Rayburn would be good.

Reactions: my6
I'd be interested. What are the fuel stop intervals like on this route? The TW thimble gives about 100-120mi. I can get auxiliary fuel storage if needed though. Plan to at some point anyhow.

Over the 3 years I did the ride, 2011-2013 we always timed it around late September to early November. Basically once its already cooling off. Unfortunately it has also sometimes correlated with Deer Hunting season, and many hunters have annual leases in these areas that we ride though. On the second year I rode it (October 14th-16th), we had a section of dirt road that 9 months of the year has an open gate at both ends and that year the gate was closed at only one end. We unknowingly rode so close to a hunting camp that several drunk old men in the middle of the day tried to run me and another rider over with their SuperDuty truck while we made our way down this dirt road. Timing of the ride is critical to success and I think we may have adjusted some of the connecting sections to avoid these scenarios.

Fuel stops are not a problem, there are gas stations about every 60-80 miles along the route. I have a 4g IMS tank on my XR440 and I don't remember ever using more than two gallons between stops and in the woods my range is about 40mpg. Its been a long time since I've looked closely at the map data (so don't quote me on miles per day) but if we do it traditional, we park tow vehicles Saturday morning at Walmart in Huntsville and head out East/Northeast about 150 miles and end the first day ride at Bean's camp on the west side of Toledo Bend. The next day is spent riding about 100-120 miles in a nice winding fashion towards Rusk and we usually camp as a group at the KOA in Rusk. In the past I have traveled light with a one man tent and light bag for Beans and reserved one of the small cabins for Rusk KOA. But if you want to there are plenty of tent sites at the KOA. Then Sunday we ride south toward Huntsville, usually arriving at Walmart between 4 and 6pm.

Many North TX members have also done a reverse rotation and in the past we have usually timed our departures so we either meet up along the route on Saturday or we all stay together Friday night at Beans in Toledo Bend.

Back in 2011 when I did my first ETX450 I met a bunch of great people that I have stayed friends with over the last 9 years. Quite a few of them also rode together with me the following years. Great camaraderie.

Anyway, Jonathan, you being in Longview, you might want to get together with the northern group and see if and when they might want to ride the route. I'm not saying we won't all try to do it the same time as we have done in the past, but I think from the response I've already seen from the South group guys, we are all pretty busy and carving out a set date might be hard for us right now.

I'm all in if some one wants to set a date. I lead the north group 3 or 4 times and had a great time. I too have let life get in the way, but I would make time to do this again,
I just need time, not "hey lets do it this weekend".

This sounds cool. I live in Tyler and ride a Husky TR650. I'd be down if the days and my schedule line up

Dogwoods are already starting to bloom! Same for the Azaleas. Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes are popping up here in Huntsville. Redbud trees are in full bloom and some are already starting to fade. The Pollen apocalypse has started and is in full swing!!

Yep. It's gonna be a colorful spring alright...

I can't wait! I'd PROBABLY be free to do this as long as it's not the first weekend of April. Actually last weekend of March, the 28th I think may be doable.

That would be great! Since I'm thinking about the first weekend in May, you could scout it out for me :lol2:

Reactions: my6
I live in Lindale, near Tyler. Depending on the timing I would like to join you all. I have done both directions starting from Rusk on my 99 GS as day trips, but have never completed the whole thing. Looking forward to hearing what the dates will be!

Back