• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone trailed two bikes using an Uhaul trailer?

Ocho

Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
For the upcoming Around the Bend I was looking at how to trailer my gf’s and my bike to the event. Quick google online I found out people have used the 5 x 9 utility trailer from Uhaul to trailer two bikes. I went out to look at them and it “looks” like the 5 x 9 might do the trick but without a wheel choke for any of the bikes I’m a little concerned. Bikes may also be a little cramped and I’m not sure if I will have the space for the appropriate tie down points (read on the manual it should be two feet apart). I’m a noob at this and never trailered a bike before.

My bike is a BMW GSA and my gf’s bike is the RE Himalayan. I made a reservation for the days we’ll be at the event, but I’m also doing a test run tomorrow evening to see if I can figure it out.

Looking for anecdotes and tips of how to make this possible.

Thanks!

For the upcoming Around the Bend I was looking at how to trailer my gf’s and my bike to the event. Quick google online I found out people have used the 5 x 9 utility trailer from Uhaul to trailer two bikes. I went out to look at them and it “looks” like the 5 x 9 might do the trick but without a wheel choke for any of the bikes I’m a little concerned. Bikes may also be a little cramped and I’m not sure if I will have the space for the appropriate tie down points (read on the manual it should be two feet apart). I’m a noob at this and never trailered a bike before.

My bike is a BMW GSA and my gf’s bike is the RE Himalayan. I made a reservation for the days we’ll be at the event, but I’m also doing a test run tomorrow evening to see if I can figure it out.

Looking for anecdotes and tips of how to make this possible.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be a problem - you'll probably need to put one of the bikes in backwards - here's some pics

Did you really need to tie the first two bikes that much? Did you use all the bikes with wheel chokes? Any kind fits?

Having one backwards is smart.

I hauled my CRF250L Rally home like this:

rt-Gs-E-plbgtag6vjimhj25dtpiswxs.jpg

Front wheel against the bed, no chock, two straps lightly pulled down, tail gate down. It rode fine.

I'm finding you don't need a ton of pressure to keep a bike upright. Just a snug pull forcing the front wheel into something is usually enough.

I typically put a third strap on a foot peg as well, but probably overkill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding you don't need a ton of pressure to keep a bike upright. Just a snug pull forcing the front wheel into something is usually enough.

I typically put a third strap on a foot peg as well, but probably overkill.
It's a LOOONG way out to Big Bend - I'd recommend strapping 'em down really well. Hitting bumps on I-10 at 70 or 80 can really bounce bikes around back there.

Did you really need to tie the first two bikes that much? Did you use all the bikes with wheel chokes? Any kind fits?

Having one backwards is smart.

Using chocks is not necessary, but is helpful if loading the trailer by yourself as they will keep bike(s) standing up straight while you tie down.
Typically would use 4 straps (2 front & 2 back) on each bike.

Yes sir, sure have. Those little trailers are NOT light! Hope you've got a good strong truck. I'm pretty sure pulling it is what caused my Tacoma's transmission to go kaput.

Another rental option would be to check your local Tractor Supply, they normally have a 6x10 aluminum frame utility trailer that you can rent for $25.00 per day.

If you have a place to keep it and hauling bike is going to be more than a one time outing, you might want buy a used trailer - looks like the 5x9 uhaul trailer rents for about $25.00 per day (before tax) - here's a 3 rail trailer & a utility trailer listed on Austin Craigslist that would work.

Last edited:
U haul trailer is 1,200 lbs. plus your bikes. Better with renting a trailer from Tractor Supply. I used the U Haul before and it was heavy with my KLR. Now I have a trailer from tractor supply and is only 500 lbs. Used it last year to bring 2 bikes to Big Bend. It feels lighter and no issues!
fa0820f3b45592b7624afc7e49726844.jpg
uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200220/059f3f327f23f2090c3133ea06498bb8.jpg[/IMG]
059f3f327f23f2090c3133ea06498bb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U haul trailer is 1,200 lbs. plus your bikes. Better with renting a trailer from Tractor Supply. I used the U Haul before and it was heavy with my KLR. Now I have a trailer from tractor supply and is only 500 lbs. Used it last year to bring 2 bikes to Big Bend. It feels lighter and no issues!
fa0820f3b45592b7624afc7e49726844.jpg
uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200220/059f3f327f23f2090c3133ea06498bb8.jpg[/IMG]View attachment 254924

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size you got? Do I have to go to the store to rent one? Can’t find the option online.

Yes sir, sure have. Those little trailers are NOT light! Hope you've got a good strong truck. I'm pretty sure pulling it is what caused my Tacoma's transmission to go kaput.
Ha, was thinking the same. Built to haul rocks or anything in between :lol2:

What size you got? Do I have to go to the store to rent one? Can’t find the option online.

No online option - you would need to go to a Tractor Supply Store that has rental trailer available (not all do) - the closest TSC stores to you are in Georgetown & Cedar Park
Here's a link to show store locations w/phone# in Round Rock area -would be best to call & ask if they have rental trailer available

Info from TSC website
Trailer Rental
Have a tough job to tackle? Rent a trailer and get it done!
Pricing:

• $14.99 - Half Day (4 Hours)
  • $24.99 - Full Day (8 Hours)
Trailer Size:
  • 6 x 10' Aluminum - 2,990 lb. GVWR - 2,250 lb. load capacity

Tie down the back end of the bike's. Those U-hauls have really stiff springs, doesn't take much of a bump to launch the rear wheel of your bike. When it lands sideways it can be a pain to line things back up. Jockeying the bike out of the trailer is challenge when that happens.

Consider one of the enclosed models. Cost is about the same. Security and cleanliness of the bikes improves a lot.

Back