• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I suppose you get to a point of too much power but I have not found it. In my teenage years in the early 1990's, I had a Honda CR250R 2 stroke with a White Brothers works engine. I somehow got lucky when I bought it off of a guy in the paper that was moving to California to go pro and didn't know what I was getting myself into.

That bike was fast. I mean bad, bad fast. It would wheelie in 4th gear when it hit the power band and turn over if you weren't over the bars. I had raced a RM125 2 stroke in enduro and motocross, so was accustomed to handling a motocross bike, but this was completely next level. I ended up braking my back on it, and my folks forced me to sell it. Man, I wish I still had it.

Things like this topic can be sooo “relative”. I owned a 1960 Austin-Healy Bug-Eye (Frog-Eye) Sprite for 27 years. Also most that time I had a KZ450 bored out out and all hyped up. On KZ I could go zero to 100 on that bike in about what seemed like 6 seconds (I weighed 194 then). In the 1960 roadster 4” off the ground, zero to sixty seemed like 3 days! 43 hp. But at 82 mph with top down I felt like 150 and ready to take off. I had more thrills in that AH Sprite than ever on that bike. I have owned naked 1994 Jeep Wrangler, a 1981 Renault Fuego, a 1973 1/2 Porsche 911. But, that Bug-eye Roadster was my favorite. Still, I rather ride/commute via my 2012 K1600gt than other bikes I owned or any auto/truck, etc. thats me[emoji964][emoji965][emoji457][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horsepower is certainly fun, but over the years I've learned that for me, less is more. Like a lot of us here, I started riding on a sub-100cc bike with single-digit horsepower. I moved up through a couple of Honda 350s, to 500cc, to 650cc, to 800cc, to liter bikes - all with the corresponding increases in power. But somewhere along the way, I lost the fun factor. I still liked riding, but somehow it just wasn't as much fun as it used to be. Long story short, I finally figured out that I got a lot more enjoyment out of smaller, lighter, lower horsepower bikes. My current Moto Guzzi V7 II Special is just about perfect for me. YMMV

I was wrong ! After riding 40 50 hp bikes and big heavy maybe 75 hp Harley I added a Yamaha Super Tenere to the stable rated a @ 110 hp I love it. Terrific throttle response, seems just right for me. Had many high hp bikes in my younger day but at 58 thought I was done with that. Maybe not.

I was wrong ! After riding 40 50 hp bikes and big heavy maybe 75 hp Harley I added a Yamaha Super Tenere to the stable rated a @ 110 hp I love it. Terrific throttle response, seems just right for me. Had many high hp bikes in my younger day but at 58 thought I was done with that. Maybe not.

58 is the new 50! Your bike's HP should always equal 2X your age. ;-)

HP = 2X (age)... lol.. well, I am just about right with my MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR...

For me how much hp is too much depends on the level of skill of the rider. If riding a modern liter bike the rider needs all the electronic “nannies” turned up to a high level on a dry road he probably has way more hp than he can handle. Or the bike has two or three inch wide “chicken strips” then too much bike and/or not enough skill. Better to have a light 40-60 hp bike that is not so intimidating, doesn’t need the electronics and will reward the rider for learning how to maintain corner speed.
My 2 cents.

Is my 45-70 putting 450 grain bullets down range at 2,000 FPS too much gun? I don’t think so but some would flinch, pulling their shot. same concept with the bikes. As far as I’m concerned there is no point at which there is too much hp. I’m glad for modern nanies but also like the idea they can be turned off.
New riders will get hurt on 50hp just as fast as a 100 hp bike.

Hp 2X your age.........OK then, let’s add them up. Fz07 = 70, KTM 390 = 40, Transalp = 40, R100GS = 45, wee strom = 55, that’s 250, cool I only need 150 (75X2) So it looks likeI have about 100 HP to spare. Who would like to buy some?

Back