• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

App that shows roadside picnic tables/rest areas?

Reaction score
Even though restaurants may be opening back up, I still want to plan my eating and rest stops around roadside stops with picnic tables for now and pack my own eats and beverages. Anyone know of an app that allows you to do this?

Even though restaurants may be opening back up, I still want to plan my eating and rest stops around roadside stops with picnic tables for now and pack my own eats and beverages. Anyone know of an app that allows you to do this?
Check out Waze. When we have driven across country it showed those items plus gas stations and prices and also highway hazards. Popo, stopped vehicles etc.

It might be what you are looking for

I've got Waze, and it probably will show rest areas while I'm en route. But I'm hoping there's an app that'll show them while your planning a ride, much like you can ask Google Maps to show restaurants, gas stations, etc. when you're planning a ride.

Go into google maps and search rest area.

Yep - thanks! I had tried that earlier and didn't come up with much, but once I zoomed in a bit and hit "Search this area" it brings up more. Just takes a little bit of effort but worth it when planning a longish ride.

The old paper official State of Texas map used to show those. So, I've poked around and found it online. Picnic Areas are in the Legend.

Here's a link to a selection of PDF versions for the state and a number of cities. The PDF can be kept on the phone to review even when LTE isn't available.

The old paper official State of Texas map used to show those. So, I've poked around and found it online. Picnic Areas are in the Legend.

The little blue dots!
Momma said you learn something new every day. Thanks so very much for the info.
I ride a lot in the middle of the week and do many brown bag lunches by the side of the road. (quite often by a creekside somewhere)

This info is invaluable! I've already started circling the little blue dots on my paper map and will be plotting them on BaseCamp soon afterward.
Thanks!
SS

If on an interstate, iPhone's Siri can usually tell you how far till the next rest stop/area. Assume that Android can do the same. Also, the state's DOT website should have a list. Else, here are a few...

If I'm travelling a lot on interstates for a trip, I'll make a table of the rest stops and their mile markers, in both directions, to put in the map pocket of my tank bag.

Thanks all for the helpful links and info. I may still have one of those quaint artifacts known as a paper map, so will look for the little blue dots.

I've always been interested in picnic areas. not really Rest areas since I'm rarely that close to major highways to access a rest area but the picnic areas are a great resource. I know of a few around here thanks @MotoTex for the linkage.

Try this website.

I do not know if there is an app, but it looks like it would be great for light campers and bikes because it "seems" to be made up of the backpacking crowd that is looking to travel on the cheap. Let me know if it works for you but it lists all kinds of those little FREE roadside stops you see all the time here in Texas but you blast right by them, and its nothing but a table, a U shaped cut, and a garbage can. Don't know how many times I pass those everywhere on country roads and just cannot seem to find them on maps.

Try this website.

I do not know if there is an app, but it looks like it would be great for light campers and bikes because it "seems" to be made up of the backpacking crowd that is looking to travel on the cheap. Let me know if it works for you but it lists all kinds of those little FREE roadside stops you see all the time here in Texas but you blast right by them, and its nothing but a table, a U shaped cut, and a garbage can. Don't know how many times I pass those everywhere on country roads and just cannot seem to find them on maps.

This looks helpful - thanks!

Unfortunately a lot of the rest stops that are off the beaten path are no longer being maintained. In the years I spent driving back and forth between Cleburne and Nacodoches/Lufkin I saw quite a few get gated off and let go.

Back